Wonder Woman

Greywind

I had hoped that with a good Batman and lousy Superman films, that it was just DC not knowing how to do Superman.  He's not an easy character to write, and especially in a gritty post modern gray areas worldview he is even harder to handle.  But Suicide Squad proved that even with a story right in their wheelhouse, DC still couldn't get it right, which makes me think Batman was a fluke, because of the director and writer.  I mean look at the mess the third Batman movie ended up as.

So my hopes are not high with Wonder Woman.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most promising bit is possibly Patty Jenkins herself. Interview wise she has said the right things (at least to my ears) over and over again, and she seems to get the character. I try to cut Snyder a lot of slack, but the fact he says things like he wanted to have Superman "grow up" shows to me he does not get non gritty characters well. Patty isn't Snyder, and if Wonder Woman excells, she may find herself moved to the helm of things...

and for many of you, there would, I imagine, be much rejoicing.

WW stands a chance because it looks like it is going to be more like Indiana Jones in style and tone than the other movies in the Snyder murderverse. A brief, but welcome reprieve from the dark, gritty "realistic take" on superheroes. In other words, it has a prayer of being more like a comic book and less like a Bourne movie.

But Jason Bourne is a "super hero".

A superhero and action hero are both larger than life heroes reminiscint and modern day counterparts of the original model (you may say) of the Greek heroes (eg Hercules, Achilles, Theseus, Perseus, etc).

WW stands a chance because it looks like it is going to be more like Indiana Jones in style and tone than the other movies in the Snyder murderverse. A brief, but welcome reprieve from the dark, gritty "realistic take" on superheroes. In other words, it has a prayer of being more like a comic book and less like a Bourne movie.

How ironic that they had to set the Way Back Machine for WWI in order to get less dark.

And I'd totally settle for a Bourne-style* Wonder Woman movie, if it was well done. But I get your point.

* Original trilogy, I haven't seen the last couple

How ironic that they had to set the Way Back Machine for WWI in order to get less dark.

Maybe they liked WWI for the opportunity it provided to introduce Wonder Woman as a blazing beacon of light (and color) amidst all that darkness.

Some of the creators' comments indicate WW I was chosen because it's more morally ambiguous than WW II. If you want your protagonist to be disillusioned enough to stop trying to save the world for decades, it's a more appropriate war.

Indeed.

It is also possible they liked WWI for numerous reasons, including the one I speculated on. Of course we don't know for sure cuz it wasn't mentioned in an interview. But I like to think that maybe, just maybe, someone on the WW production team saw an opportunity to draw a parallel between the grim, pallid darkness of WWI and the grim, pallid darkness of the DCEU, and wanted to shine some vibrant light on both simultaneously.

I still suspect the main reason for switching to WWI was simply "to avoid Captain America comparisons." Which is pretty legit as far as I'm concerned.

Well, I think Captain America: First Avenger was long ago enough now that few viewers would make those comparisons, much less think less of the WW movie for it. Geoff Johns and Allan Heinberg had much better/more interesting reasons to place the story in WWI than that, and I think WB knew it.

Some of the creators' comments indicate WW I was chosen because it's more morally ambiguous than WW II. If you want your protagonist to be disillusioned enough to stop trying to save the world for decades, it's a more appropriate war.

The Treaty of Versailles alone would certainly be enough to cause that kind of disillusionment.

Many people have commented that Warner/DC have usually put out exciting trailers, which don't necessarily translate to exciting movies. But the WW trailers have been notable for more than just striking imagery and music (although they have that in spades). Everything that I've seen of the story, the characters, the tone, makes this look like a very good movie that's also true to the spirit of the source material.

The more I see of this movie, the more badass it looks. I'm actually getting cautiously excited about this one.

In the other scenes it looks like she's mostly fighting Germans? So my guess is Trevor is a spy flying out of Germany in a captured plane when he crashes on Paradise Island.

My only question is: if the move to WWI was meant partly to head off comparisons to Captain America (and that's totally speculative on my part), then having so many shots of WW relying on a shield is an odd choice.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Yeah, I remember the early advertising for Alien back in 1979. It was just a dark frame slowly becoming lit with the egg in the center and the ominous high pitch droning sound in the background. The now-famous words faded on, "In space no one can hear you scream." That was it. It was completely enigmatic, and kind of brilliant. It sure made you want to find out what the hell the movie was all about.

I just can't get a feel for the story here.  What's she doing?  Who's the bad guy?  What is the plot?  Who are these people and what do they mean?

Diana is involving herself in the Great War out of idealism, to try to "defend the world." I get the impression that before Steve Trevor crashed on Themiscyra, he was on a special intelligence mission, one involving devastating new gas weapons invented by "Dr. Poison," the half-face woman we see. She's one of the villains, but the German general Danny Huston is playing looks to be the main bad guy. There's much speculation he's actually the god Ares in disguise, stoking the fires of war, and some of Diana's fights do look like she's taking on a supernatural force.

Beyond that, the story is about Diana's introduction to Man's World, and how her experiences there led her to withdraw from it until the events of BVS. It also appears that her true origins, and the extent of her own power, are a mystery to her before this story begins, so it's probably also a tale of self-discovery.

I think WB assumes that you'll piece it all together like a jigsaw puzzle by watching every teaser and trailer they put out. I think they'd be shocked to learn that not everyone obsessively waits for, watches, and analyzes every trailer that gets released.