Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do immortals age? In other words, if immortality implies not aging, how does one begin as an infant and grow to middle/old age?

Well, strictly speaking, "immortality" doesn't imply not aging. It means, "not subject to death." In principle one could be deathless, but not ageless. IIRC there was a character in Greek mythology like that. He was granted immortality but continued to age, shriveling smaller and smaller over time until he became like an insect. The first bee, again IIRC.

A child becoming an adult isn't aging. It's maturing, growing into its adult form. "Aging" medically defined is an organism physiologically deteriorating in various ways. Two distinct phases in its life, with their own mechanisms. There's a rare medical condition in which a person can experience the physical manifestations of accelerated aging even before his or her body finishes growing and maturing.

The comic-book Amazons appear to be ageless, but it sure looks like they're not immune to death.

Yeah, I remember the early advertising for Alien back in 1979. It was just a dark frame slowly becoming lit with the egg in the center and the ominous high pitch droning sound in the background. The now-famous words faded on, "In space no one can hear you scream." That was it. It was completely enigmatic, and kind of brilliant. It sure made you want to find out what the hell the movie was all about.

I miss the days where the only thing you knew about a movie was the trailer you saw on TV and not having everything plastered all over the internet to spoil it all.

You know, it's funny how no one criticizes GoTG for not summarizing the plot in its trailers. I haven't dug them out to find each and every trailer, but the couple I have seen didn't tell me much about what the plot would be.

That the GotG Vol 2 plot was not mentioned in the trailers was done deliberately, according to James Gunn. 

You know, it's funny how no one criticizes GoTG for not summarizing the plot in its trailers. I haven't dug them out to find each and every trailer, but the couple I have seen didn't tell me much about what the plot would be.

I think it is great that both movies have deliberately vague trailers. I want to see both of them and the trailers do their level best to whet my appetite even more.

What Guardians of the Galaxy did in the trailers was make you laugh and have fun; which is the plot of the film.  Yeah stuff happens but its just about entertainment and having fun in the end.  You knew that with the trailer; that was the purpose "see this will be a blast!"  and that worked.  Alien worked, because it was supposed to be a sci fi horror film, and you got a feel for that in the trailer.  It was eerie and disturbing.

What's Wonder Woman about?  I don't mean "what's the story" but what is the theme we're supposed to get from that trailer?  I mean other than "someone needs to turn a light on?"  I'm not saying the trailer is bad or the movie will suck, I hope its great!  DC needs a lift.  I just watch it and go ...and?

Remember, the purpose of these is to reach people who aren't fans and make them interested.

If we're going to complain about a lack of illumination, then as good as they've been I've got some gripes about most of the Marvel Netflix shows. I know a lot of the fight scenes are rightfully at night, but they're so dimmed that I can't make half of them out. Yet folks love em...except for Iron Fist which was the best lit of the bunch ;)

As for Wonder Woman's trailers.... I noticed a lot. They indicate humor (mostly via Etta Candy and a few lines from Chris Pine) here and there, but a lot of action and intensity. There is clearly a strong insistence by Diana  for a dedication, even a duty to Peace. If they can get some of the action scenes in the movie as pulse pounding as they sometimes did in the trailers we're on point VERY nicely . And they stress that Diana is new to Man's world, a stranger among us who wants to help us even if she doesn't understand us.  So,.... heroic cause, exciting action, idealistic perhaps even naive superhero , a touch of joy amid even a war of despair...all that...

in the trailers.

So.....the vibe I got was action flick with a superheroine who should have been on the screen years ago.

And it's a good vibe.

Let us pray to whatever Gods of Cinema that the movies live up to and surpass said trailers.

I've got some gripes about most of the Marvel Netflix shows. I know a lot of the fight scenes are rightfully at night, but they're so dimmed that I can't make half of them out.

I do too.  In that sense, I'm pretty sure its because murky darkness helps cover up things so mistakes and awkward things can be covered up.  Its like this scene from Taken 3 where they cut more times than Edward Scissorshands making a snowflake to show him jumping a fence.

But DC has been plagued with murky lighting and darkness for like ten films in a row now, you'd think they might want to try another palette.

If we're going to complain about a lack of illumination, then as good as they've been I've got some gripes about most of the Marvel Netflix shows.

Agreed. Tho I would say those shows aren't the only culprits; "barely lit at all" seems to be the baseline for a lot of shows these days.

But DC has been plagued with murky lighting and darkness for like ten films in a row now, you'd think they might want to try another palette.

I thought the WW trailers did look fairly well lit, certainly compared to BvS & MoS. I mean there was actual sun shining & everything.

From the trailers I've seen, they've done something kind of clever (imo). Paradise Island is GORGEOUS with bright colors of rich blues and greens and so on...

The scenes in Man's world are a bit grayer in palatte, be it smoggy old London or the ugly battlefields.

I hope that we don't get too abrupt a shift ala a reverse wizard of Oz... but grayer though man's world maybe, I could at least still see. 

This movie sucks because the trailers do the bad thing that I just realised is bad; and because Gail Gadot has committed bodycrime by either exercising,eating, not eating, not exercising, or being born that way. (I reserve the right to make up my mind about which option applies at the beginning of any argument on the subject. No, wait, during the argument. Repeatedly.) Also, WWI sucks, and the villain isn't villainy enough, unless she's not the villain, in which case the trailer did the bad thing.

Also, Zack Snyder. 

Agreed. Tho I would say those shows aren't the only culprits; "barely lit at all" seems to be the baseline for a lot of shows these days.

Yeah I blame X-Files and CSI where for some damn fool reason they never turned the light on, always those dumb high powered flashlights.

From the trailers I've seen, they've done something kind of clever (imo). Paradise Island is GORGEOUS with bright colors of rich blues and greens and so on...

The scenes in Man's world are a bit grayer in palatte, be it smoggy old London or the ugly battlefields.

I can see that, and its probably a statement on WWI and the life there.  The London scenes aren't as miserable.

Yeah, that was my impression too. And frankly, WWI battlefields should look pretty drab, and 1918 London was pretty damn sooty.

Also, Zack Snyder. 

You make a compelling argument.

Remember, on the internet, you cannot hold an ambivolent or moderate position.  You have to either hate something completely or love it without reservation.

Apparently.

Okay, right off the top, I owe you an apology. (You and zslane.) You were having a fun conversation, and if it maybe got over the top, that sort of thing happens in conversations!

It happens that I'm seething a bit about a sudden revival of body shaming directed at Gal Gadot. I find that stuff pretty offensive, and think that my emotional response is justified by the harm that it can do. 

However, none of it happened here. I just dragged it into the conversation. My bad. 

We've already seen about 15 minutes worth of Diana fighting in costume in Batman vs. Superman, which not coincidentally were pretty much the only parts of that movie actually worth watching. I have zero reservations about Gal Godot's ability to look and move like Wonder Woman should.

Huh. This one has actual dollar values, so maybe they know what they're talking about. Maybe they are waiting until after GotG2 and will start the blitz next week? I guess we'll see.

That article's reference to the film being set in the 1920s during World War I didn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding the accuracy of their numbers.

Patty isn't Snyder, and if Wonder Woman excells, she may find herself moved to the helm of things...

and for many of you, there would, I imagine, be much rejoicing.

Almost anyone snatching the reins out of Snyder's hands would have me rejoicing, from schadenfreude if nothing else. But I reserve judgment on whether Jenkins would be the best person for the job until after I've seen the movie.