Wonder Woman

Greywind

So how do immortals age? In other words, if immortality implies not aging, how does one begin as an infant and grow to middle/old age?

Originally Immortals aged until adulthood. Then later that was changed and their Immortality was triggered by the shock of a violent death.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Word is that the reaction from critics who have seen advanced press screenings has been almost unanimously positive.

I'm glad to hear that, and I hope its because the movie is great and not just "we better say that because grrl power"

I want DC to do great in movies, because they have great characters and stories they could tell -- the animated films prove it.  maybe some day they will figure it out

One point that's almost always raised by reviewers so far, is that since this story is set a century in the past, it has practically no tie-ins to the rest of the established DCEU. It's truly a stand-alone movie focusing on Wonder Woman's journey; so if you have issues with this cinematic universe based on what you've seen to date, this WW film works as its own distinct, self-contained entity.

Four more words also frequently applied to this movie which set it apart from its predecessors: Hope. Idealism. Humor. And Colors.

I went, saw it. Loved it!

Agreed.  Loved it also.

One of the things that I noticed about it was that it was remarkably free of irony or cynicism.   It's protagonist was just plain good in the way that you would expect from a DC superhero, but which none of DC movies prior to this have delivered.  It is not imitating Marvel movies with heroism robed in irreverence and snark, it is like DC movies should be with heroism sincere and the feels genuine.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Agreed.  Loved it also.

One of the things that I noticed about it was that it was remarkably free of irony or cynicism.   It's protagonist was just plain good in the way that you would expect from a DC superhero, but which none of DC movies prior to this have delivered.  It is not imitating Marvel movies with heroism robed in irreverence and snark, it is like DC movies should be with heroism sincere and the feels genuine.

Perfectly said.

i was talking to friend saying something similar after the movie, but you just put it better than I by far. In this movie, the loss of innocence is not confused with the death of idealism.

And I loved that about it.

It's no coincidence that WW director Patty Jenkins has cited the Richard Donner Superman movies as one of her major influences in wanting to become a filmmaker.

The Marvel Studios Captain America movies have also captured that inherent goodness and idealism IMHO. Marvel movies may have lots of snarky heroes, but Steve Rogers isn't one of them. And people clearly respond to someone who, in Chris Evans' words, is selfless, who just wants to do the right thing, with no praise, no agenda, no ego involved.

I think Steve Rogers and Diana would get along famously.

It's no coincidence that WW director Patty Jenkins has cited the Richard Donner Superman movies as one of her major influences in wanting to become a filmmaker.

The Marvel Studios Captain America movies have also captured that inherent goodness and idealism IMHO. Marvel movies may have lots of snarky heroes, but Steve Rogers isn't one of them. And people clearly respond to someone who, in Chris Evans' words, is selfless, who just wants to do the right thing, with no praise, no agenda, no ego involved.

I think Steve Rogers and Diana would get along famously.

Expect shipping videos on Youtube soonish

Sounds great, that's really what has been missing in DC's superhero films: heroes.  People driven to do right and good without needing psychosis or conflict or ruin in their lives.  Instead of people with powers who happen to do something good once in a while, people who are driven to do good with whatever they have to work with.

Agreed.  Loved it also.

I just walked in the door from seeing it tonight (in 3D, no less*). I think you summed it up quite well. The very young Diana was utterly charming. Gal Gadot was very good (and very hot). Chris Pine was also very good as Steve Trevor. The snark level, as mentioned, was very low. Steve was doing the right thing because it was the right thing. As he put it, "When you see something wrong, you can do nothing, or you can do something. I tried doing nothing." That's all he said, and it's all we ever learn of his motivation--and it was enough. You can fill in the rest for yourself.

It was everything the other DCEU movies have NOT been.

*For many years, I didn't go to 3D movies because my wife couldn't handle them--they made her motion sick. But we're separated now, so that's not an issue any longer. I enjoyed the 3D, but it's not something I feel I have to have; I chose that one because it was the next available showing and I didn't want to kill an hour waiting around for another.