Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ares' "I am the God of Truth" line and extended self-justification is all delivered while bound by the lasso. So either the lasso doesn't work on gods, and/or he's speaking what he believes to be true. I'm going with the latter.

Yeah, I think we have to take it as a given that Ares believed what he was saying in that moment. Which doesn't necessarily mean he was correct in that belief, but he was telling Diana the truth as he saw it.

Regarding that German ship -

Historically, by 1916 the SMS Schwaben was a battleship relegated to serving as an engineering training ship for navy cadets, not a destroyer (or "torpedo boat" as the German Navy would have referred to it). If the ship that ran aground on Themyscira was in fact supposed to be a destroyer, it wouldn't have had a name, only a number (e.g., S108). In fact, the only German military vessels operating in the Mediterranean during the war were the cruisers Goeben and Breslau. I think this is just a case of the writers and/or production department figuring nobody would know the difference, or care.

However, I do believe that operating protocol when running aground and losing on-board communication capability (I am presuming that the mystical barrier around the island also prevented telegraph signals from coming or going, though the Germans would not have been aware of that) would have been to send a recon force to shore in search of a way to make land-based contact with the other cruiser in the squadron. The beach battle that ensued does feel like a plausible scenario given the circumstances.

But it does make one wonder what happened to the rest of the crew. Presumably they would have tried to make it to shore the hard way (swimming), once on-board provisions were exhausted. What would the Amazons have done to them?

In the comics, Diana is portrayed as becoming jaded over time, tired of trying to protect earth and its people.  In the what-if series Kingdom Come, for example, she's very jaded and hard, and its the first time she's seen with a sword in the comics that I'm aware of (one so sharp it cuts Superman's finger).  So the voiceover could be some prediction of this happening, or just using her voice to explain the attitude of the Amazons.

I didn't take that as it was sharp enough. I took that the sword was magic, and as such Superman had no protection from it.

Regarding that German ship -

Historically, by 1916 the SMS Schwaben was a battleship relegated to serving as an engineering training ship for navy cadets, not a destroyer (or "torpedo boat" as the German Navy would have referred to it). If the ship that ran aground on Themyscira was in fact supposed to be a destroyer, it wouldn't have had a name, only a number (e.g., S108). In fact, the only German military vessels operating in the Mediterranean during the war were the cruisers Goeben and Breslau. I think this is just a case of the writers and/or production department figuring nobody would know the difference, or care.

However, I do believe that operating protocol when running aground and losing on-board communication capability (I am presuming that the mystical barrier around the island also prevented telegraph signals from coming or going, though the Germans would not have been aware of that) would have been to send a recon force to shore in search of a way to make land-based contact with the other cruiser in the squadron. The beach battle that ensued does feel like a plausible scenario given the circumstances.

But it does make one wonder what happened to the rest of the crew. Presumably they would have tried to make it to shore the hard way (swimming), once on-board provisions were exhausted. What would the Amazons have done to them?

Honestly, I got the impression all hands went into the boats and hit the beach, at least after the ship ran aground. Ludendorff must have made finding Trevor and Maru's notebook an extreme priority order. Maybe not standard military procedure, but the movie's plot obviously diverges from real-world history.

Pursuant to that, Gen. Erich Ludendorff was a real historical figure, every bit as important as he was portrayed in the movie. The real Ludendorff survived the War, however, even briefly joining the Nazi party before dying in 1937.

In the comics, Diana is portrayed as becoming jaded over time, tired of trying to protect earth and its people.  In the what-if series Kingdom Come, for example, she's very jaded and hard, and its the first time she's seen with a sword in the comics that I'm aware of (one so sharp it cuts Superman's finger).  So the voiceover could be some prediction of this happening, or just using her voice to explain the attitude of the Amazons.

No, she isn't. Kingdom Come is as you pointed out in an elseworld series and not representative of the character  as she is normally portrayed.  In her regular titled she is not hard, not jaded and certainly not tired of protecting the people of earth,  

Historically, by 1916 the SMS Schwaben was a battleship relegated to serving as an engineering training ship for navy cadets, not a destroyer (or "torpedo boat" as the German Navy would have referred to it).

No way that was a battleship; not nearly big enough. Maybe call it a light cruiser?

However, I do believe that operating protocol when running aground and losing on-board communication capability...would have been to send a recon force to shore in search of a way to make land-based contact with the other cruiser in the squadron. The beach battle that ensued does feel like a plausible scenario given the circumstances.

It looked like they already had the boats out looking for Trevor's crashed plane, and they started the beach invasion before (or about the same time) that the ship was running aground. But sounds about right othewise.

Honestly, I got the impression all hands went into the boats and hit the beach, at least after the ship ran aground.

According to my 5 minutes on Wikipedia, German light cruisers of that era had crews of 300+ men. And those ships weren't automated, so they couldn't have put more than maybe half(?) of the crew in boats and still have enough to run the cruiser. It didn't look like there were more than several dozen Germans in the beach battle, certainly no more than 100?

And yeah, once the Amazons had repelled that first wave, they wouldn't have had trouble picking off the rest of the crew swimming ashore (since I'm assuming all their boats had already gone out). Which basically means the Amazons butchered a lot of mostly-helpless unarmed men in a situation where any force from "Man's World" would have been obligated to render aid and rescue them. Yeah I know, Themyscira didn't sign that treaty. But still, doesn't exactly give them much moral high ground.

It varies, with reboots etc, in different titles.  Some of them she's kinda embittered and tired of humanity and mankind, some she's still going

And don't even get me started on Injustice, which spent tons of focus on pushing Superman over the edge to a point where he's willing to kill; but apparently that universe's Diana was always a barely-restrained ball of murderous fury. :ugly:

No way that was a battleship; not nearly big enough. Maybe call it a light cruiser?

According to my 5 minutes on Wikipedia, German light cruisers of that era had crews of 300+ men. And those ships weren't automated, so they couldn't have put more than maybe half(?) of the crew in boats and still have enough to run the cruiser. It didn't look like there were more than several dozen Germans in the beach battle, certainly no more than 100?

If the ship was indeed supposed to be one of the German light cruisers in Mediterranean waters at that time, then the landing force would have been about 30-40 strong, as in the beach landing at Direction Island by sailors from the SMS Emden in 1914.

I didn't take that as it was sharp enough. I took that the sword was magic, and as such Superman had no protection from it.

Diana made a specific comment about it being sharp enough to carve electrons off atoms. It might have been able to cut Superman even without his weakness to magic (or similarly, someone like Captain Marvel whose invulnerability has no such weakness).

Diana made a specific comment about it being sharp enough to carve electrons off atoms. It might have been able to cut Superman even without his weakness to magic (or similarly, someone like Captain Marvel whose invulnerability has no such weakness).

I wonder if we'll ever find out where she got it

If the ship was damaged and stuck on the reefs, its unlikely that they'd leave anyone other than a very minor crew on board, especially if they saw signs of inhabitants on an uncharted island.

There aren't enough boats on board to get more men off at one time. Destroyers, for instance, only carried a single dinghy, capable of landing about 14 men. I believe light cruisers of that era would have had a single rotation landing capability of about a platoon (30-40 sailors), distributed across three dinghies.

But we saw more small boats than that out on the water ahead of the ship, searching through the fog, before they discovered Themiscyra. For whatever reason this must have been a special case. (The real reason being cinema, of course, so we could have a mass landing invasion for the Amazons to repel.)

But really, this isn't history. We have Amazons, mythic gods, super-power gas... can't we make allowance for one military ship with a few extra boats?