Wonder Woman

Greywind

Perhaps. But I had never heard of her before BvS. I don't follow beauty pageants, nor did I follow the Fast/Furious franchise far enough to have seen her on film. Surely I'm not alone in regarding her as a "fresh new talent" who has recently burst onto the scene and become a prominent figure of global pop culture. She may have had paparazzi following her occasionally prior to BvS, but she's surely got them dogging her every move now.

Yeah, Wonder Woman has launched her firmly into household name status. I think we're going to be seeing her in a lot more stuff. (Speaking of which, I still need to see that spy comedy she did with Jon Hamm.)

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Wonder Woman has launched her firmly into household name status. I think we're going to be seeing her in a lot more stuff. (Speaking of which, I still need to see that spy comedy she did with Jon Hamm.)

That spy comedy wasn't bad. (Saw it.)

That spy comedy wasn't bad. (Saw it.)

What was the name?

Nah, DECU starts with MoS and is only four movies so far. I score them as one home run(Wonder Woman), one disaster that made money(BvS), and two decent but flawed movies(MoS which was ruined by the ending and SS which had incomprehensible villains). Well behind the MCU which had IM1, IM2, Incredible Hulk and Thor to build on.

Are you sure? I believe you, but the Batman Afleck played sure seemed like an older,more jaded, version of the one Bale played in the first 2 movies. Sadly, the third one was trying to hard to be Batman Returns from the Frank Miller comic for me to count it.

If the buzz is true and Whedon has more influence on the DCEU, then I might start looking forward to more of the movies. I mean, Snyder did "ok" and I certainly don't share much of the fan angst as many people have, but the truth is that they could have been better movies. I liked them, but Wonder Woman is the first DCEU movie that I've loved and Snyder was not actively involved. Wait, does Batman Begins and Dark Knight count as DCEU? If so, I will have to revise my statement.

Actually, Zack Snyder is credited as one of the three co-writers of the script for Wonder Woman, and he and his wife Deborah are both among the producers for the film. Then again, Zack's remarks about the project suggest to me that he likes WW as a character more than Superman. Maybe because she could fit in 300. :snicker:

Are you sure? I believe you, but the Batman Afleck played sure seemed like an older,more jaded, version of the one Bale played in the first 2 movies. Sadly, the third one was trying to hard to be Batman Returns from the Frank Miller comic for me to count it.

Yes, sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Released_films

Actually, Zack Snyder is credited as one of the three co-writers of the script for Wonder Woman, and he and his wife Deborah are both among the producers for the film. Then again, Zack's remarks about the project suggest to me that he likes WW as a character more than Superman. Maybe because she could fit in 300. :snicker:

:thumbup:

This is madness!

This is THEMYSCIRA!!

Yeah, Branagh is listed as Exec Producer of Thor 2 which he had nothing to do with. Favreau has Exec Producer credit on Iron Man 3 in which he only acted as Happy Hogan. I'm inclined to believe that Snyder didn't have anything to do with Wonder Woman aside from her appearance in BvS.

Well, given the feeling from the movie that some of the stuff she does and how people react to it (the no man's land scene comes to mind) is the sort of thing we should have seen from Superman, I can believe it.

Here's a good short video about how effectively WW uses color as way of drawing contrast between different places (Themiscyra vs London) and events (before Diana joins the fight, vs afterwards). He compares this to not just the other DCEU movies, but even to the Marvel movies which, while they use a lot more color than something like BvS, use it basically the same way throughout every movie.

While they do it nicely in this film, its hardly unique or missing in Marvel films.  Compare the template and lighting of Asgard with Jotenheim and New Mexico in Thor 1.  Compare the subway scene with the farm scene in Avengers 2.  Its all over the place.  The first films to really do this were the Lord of the Rings films because they had new tech that could adjust lighting and color on the fly after the filming was done, post-processing.

I noticed that the trailer for Thor Ragnarok borrowed from the Guardians of the Galaxy's color palette, which is almost psychedelically vivid compared to their other movies. Which makes sense given that Ragnarok and Guardians both take place mostly in the "spacey" part of the same setting.

The difference in the color palette between the scenes in Wonder Woman are very noticeable, and I thought very appropriate. Yet even in the dreariness of the Belgian trenches, Diana's costume stands out with its bright hues, well suiting the inspirational symbolism of her appearance. And in all scenes her WW I outfit contrasts sharply with how she appeared in BvS. While it had the same basic configuration, its colors appeared very uniform and subdued.

While they do it nicely in this film, its hardly unique or missing in Marvel films.  Compare the template and lighting of Asgard with Jotenheim and New Mexico in Thor 1.  Compare the subway scene with the farm scene in Avengers 2.  Its all over the place.

Thor 1 definitely, good example. I didn't notice it in AofU; I'll have to watch it again.

The difference in the color palette between the scenes in Wonder Woman are very noticeable, and I thought very appropriate. Yet even in the dreariness of the Belgian trenches, Diana's costume stands out with its bright hues, well suiting the inspirational symbolism of her appearance. And in all scenes her WW I outfit contrasts sharply with how she appeared in BvS. While it had the same basic configuration, its colors appeared very uniform and subdued.

Yeah, if you see pictures of WW from BvS side by side with her from WW, the difference is startling. Same costume almost exactly, but in BvS it looks brown rather than red. The startling color of Diana's costume amidst the darkness of trench warfare was the most Genre thing ever, and I'm glad they didn't pull their punches with it.

She has the most incredible I'm-A-Total-Badass look that she summons when she's in full-on fight mode. I am utterly mesmerized by it whenever I see it.

I'd imagine having been a combat trainer in the Israeli Army helped immensely with that.

Maybe that's why Diana was the one character that was unreservedly awesome in BvS?

The final videogame-esque fight felt like it was from a Snyder movie, so I imagine he had a significant amount of input. But Patty Jenkins' vision was clearly the predominant one.