Wonder Woman

Greywind

Well, first off, too much emphasis is placed on domestic opening weekend. Wonder Woman did much better long-term than her opening weekend total would suggest, because there was so little drop-off from week to week. Also, foreign b.o. is a lot more important now than it used to be, and JL has already made $37 million in China alone, without the weekend even being over. And that's another thing -- we haven't yet gotten the official tally for Saturday, let alone Sunday. Advance estimates are often different from the real numbers. Besides, JL is currently dealing with a recent major competitor in the superhero movie genre, Thor Ragnarok.

It's much too soon to either push the panic button or do a victory dance.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One does question why it cost $300 million to make, however. 

Thor: Ragnarok only cost $180 million and I really doubt there's much to choose between them as far as post-production work is concerned.  (Haven't seen JL yet, but some of those sequences in Thor were absolutely jaw-dropping.)

Neither of those figures include the promotional budgets either. Justice League has to do pretty well to have been worth making at all.

57 minutes ago, mrinku said:

One does question why it cost $300 million to make, however. 

Thor: Ragnarok only cost $180 million and I really doubt there's much to choose between them as far as post-production work is concerned.  (Haven't seen JL yet, but some of those sequences in Thor were absolutely jaw-dropping.)

Neither of those figures include the promotional budgets either. Justice League has to do pretty well to have been worth making at all.

Joss's reshoot account for 15-20% of the finished film.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-joss-whedon-reshoots-amount/

There were significant reshoots for Thor as well. Relocating the Odin death scene and arrival of Hela  from New York to Iceland, for a start.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the salaries were much different, unless percentage deals were cut. Star-wise they're at least evenly matched. If anything, the Marvel crew's agents should have been able to cut much better deals due to the success of their movies vs the DC crowd's ones. Thor added Cate Blanchett to Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Goldblum and Ruffalo (and I'm sure Sir Anthony Hopkins didn't turn up again for free...), while Justice League has Affleck, Cavell, Gadot, Mamoa and Ciarán Hinds. I've left out the cast members with less acting profile.

It does look like principal photography for Thor may have been shorter than that for Justice League; the length of the shoot (and thus the wages for everyone involved) is a major expense.

Hollywood keeps its books in a way no one else does or would be allowed to do. Hell, according to Hollywood return of the Jedi  has never made a profit. No, not a joke. Lucasfilms said that with a straight face.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Grossly inflated production costs help avoid having to show taxable profits.

12 hours ago, Tech priest support said:

Hollywood keeps its books in a way no one else does or would be allowed to do. Hell, according to Hollywood return of the Jedi  has never made a profit. No, not a joke. Lucasfilms said that with a straight face.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Grossly inflated production costs help avoid having to show taxable profits.

"The net is fiction."

Never, ever agree to a cut of the net profits from Hollywood. Always demand a cut of the gross. "We lost $400,000,000 on that movie!" "I don't care. You brought in $1.5 billion in gross receipts. Gimme me cut."

6 hours ago, zslane said:

Um, Jeremy Irons, Diane Lane, J.K. Simmons, and Joe Morton don't work for free, and two of them are Oscar winners and one is a multiple Oscar and Golden Globe nominee.

Perhaps I should have included Benedict Cumberbatch (Oscar and Golden Globe Nominee, multiple BAFTA winner), Karl Urban, Tessa Thompson, Idris Elba (Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA winner) and Taika Waititi (Oscar nominee) for Thor, then? And Matt Damon is there too if you're adding up awards.

If you include the main casts, Cate Blanchett and Anthony Hopkins are also multiple Oscar winners; Justice League's main cast only has Ben Affleck.

Look, I'm not saying the cost blowout wasn't fuelled by actor salaries. Just that if it was the main reason for League costing 120 million more that Thor, they really suck at negotiation.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

My guess is that the extremely heavy use of CGI drove up the price, and frankly, DC was willing to throw the bank at this, so it got spent.  A lot of the money that goes into making movies doesn't actually have much to do with the movie, like catering, parties, lodging, etc.

Steven Mnuchin wasn't listed as a producer on JL*, so we can't blame him for expensive flights.

*I believe that Wonder Woman was his last production credit.

Well, I have to stop short in comparing the CGI used in both, since I haven't seen JL yet. But Thor did use a lot.

Maybe Thor being filmed in Australia and JL being filmed in England made more difference than you'd think? Ironically, the earlier attempt to get a JL movie up and running  (the Megan Gale one) would have been filmed in Oz. Not that I begrudge Gal Gadot ending up with the role. Not. At. All.

On 11/19/2017 at 2:52 AM, Bazza said:

Joss's reshoot account for 15-20% of the finished film.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-joss-whedon-reshoots-amount/

Bazza already gave one reason and having watched both movies JL definitely used more CGI.  Additionally, you could figure that JL essentially had at least four hours of footage to cut to two.

On 11/19/2017 at 3:47 AM, mrinku said:

There were significant reshoots for Thor as well. Relocating the Odin death scene and arrival of Hela  from New York to Iceland, for a start.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the salaries were much different, unless percentage deals were cut. Star-wise they're at least evenly matched. If anything, the Marvel crew's agents should have been able to cut much better deals due to the success of their movies vs the DC crowd's ones. Thor added Cate Blanchett to Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Goldblum and Ruffalo (and I'm sure Sir Anthony Hopkins didn't turn up again for free...), while Justice League has Affleck, Cavell, Gadot, Mamoa and Ciarán Hinds. I've left out the cast members with less acting profile.

It does look like principal photography for Thor may have been shorter than that for Justice League; the length of the shoot (and thus the wages for everyone involved) is a major expense.

Ezra Miller isn't the unknown you seem to think he is.

Just saw it yesterday. I went in braced for it to suck and was very pleasantly surprised. 

There's only one moment that I thought the heroes were stupid but they were justifiably distracted  when they lost the box.

The personalities of our heroes were very well done.

The action was some of the best in any superhero movie. The fights were just the right length and well choreographed not dragging on forever like MoS  or BvS.

If they learn from this movie,  then they may just have a bright future ahead.

11 hours ago, Greywind said:

Ezra Miller isn't the unknown you seem to think he is.

Fair enough. He should have been included in that list, especially given he's playing a major role. My apologies. And I did include Tessa Thompson on the Thor side, who's roughly equivalent in terms of profile and body of work. Neither have won any major awards yet.

Disney having in-house SFX may very well be enough to explain a lot of the budget, though, especially if they were sloppy with producing stuff that didn't get used. Waititi does appear to have run a pretty tight ship in that respect. And whatever deals they struck with the Australian (well... Queensland) and New Zealand governments probably helped (they were prominent in the end credits). As per LoTR, they grabbed the NZ army as extras for the big fight scenes, I believe.

Hmm. This has really stopped being a thread about Wonder Woman. Start a new one?