Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

56 minutes ago, Zeropoint said:

The pic I posted got a downvote . . . looks like we found the pro-fascist.

Mod Hat: Let's play nice and not go with the insults just because someone disagrees. 

As far as I am aware, direct insults are still something I'm supposed to step on.

Maybe someone doesn't think Antifa is all that great an organization, it doesn't mean they're profacist, any more than someone not liking some Men's rights groups automatically makes them a misandrist.

4 hours ago, Hermit said:

Thank you for understanding.

Now, let us go back to exploring the truly important questions like...

why are guys named Steve doomed to have trouble in planes? 

I dunno, it worked out pretty well for Colonel Steve Austin.  He got superpowers and TV show.  :)

• 1 month later...

Finally saw Wonder Woman. 

It was okay, reasonably entertaining. But it took its self way more seriously than it had any right to or anything to offer in its self. 

Gal Gadot is pretty but not the stunning goddess people keep acting like. I thought Chris Pine did the best job of his entire career, much better than as Kirk. He's kind of odd looking though, like one of those marionettes used in Team America: World Police. Almost like his face is a reconstruction after a terrible accident. 

The team of multicultural caricatures was odd and seemed pointless, tacked on. Like they had a war movie with these guys and said "I know, lets put Wonder Woman in it too!" 

Huge plot holes in it, like "they sailed that little open boat from Turkey to England in a couple days??" and "how can someone reach into their pocket pull out a device, crack it, then suck gas into their lungs and power up before a super fast strong warrior can stab them with a sword even once?" Not to mention "why did the Germans just give up once a few squads had been defeated in a single Belgian town?" 

Also, they violently rebuilt her power set, jumped her up by about 500 points, for no real good reason.  And there was a segment about 2/3rds of the way through in the castle that was just an enormous section of filler.  Stuff that didn't help the story along at all.

It was okay. Not as good as people built up, but less bad than, say Suicide Squad.

Taste in women will vary from person to person. I happen to be among those who find Gal Gadot to be absolutely stunning. *shrug*

Steve's infiltration team was a post-modern take on the Howling Commandos, where cultural inclusion for the audience's sake is more important than historical authenticity. Mixing Wonder Woman in with a team like that is not much different than throwing Peggy Carter in with the HCs.

Wonder Woman didn't feel like a war movie to me; it felt like a superhero origin story that happened to use a war as a backdrop.

Sailing from the Med to England in such a short time was rather clunky, you're right. And no amount of handwavey dialogue ("We got lucky and hitched a ride...") helps there.

Powering up during one's Phase, before your opponent's next Phase, seems well within the structure of cinematic (superhero) combat to me. Remember, this is the same genre that allows villains to monologue as long as they like without any impact on combat.

I believe that the German Army gave up Veld because they were profoundly low on resources and about to lay down arms due to the Armistice anyway. The only remaining act of aggression available to the Germans at that point was the gassing of the town, which Ludendorff did, against the orders of German High Command mind you.

I'm not sure what is meant by rebuilding her power set by 500 points. Compared to what? The comics? The last movie she appeared in? This is the movie where she not only became Wonder Woman (the superhero) but also embraced (and unlocked) her true nature as a demi-goddess.

For me, Wonder Woman was easily my favorite movie of the year, and immeasurably better than any DCEU film that came before it.

Sailing from the Med to England in such a short time was rather clunky, you're right. And no amount of handwavey dialogue ("We got lucky and hitched a ride...") helps there.

When I heard the horn I figured they were going to be picked up by a freighter or something, not magically appear in London.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

I'm good with not taking up any running time watching them travel on a boat, if I want something heavy on the details and descriptions of just getting from A to B I'll read Tolkien.

Agreed.

But I don't think it is the lack of a detailed depiction of their time on the sail boat that is the issue, it is the implied speed with which they made the journey. Steve needed to get Maru's journal to London immediately. There are no routes, either seaborne (by sail boat, mind you) or overland (even by train) that wouldn't take months to get you from an island somewhere in the Aegean to London. The movie just glosses over this fact by not depicting the journey at all; not because it would be boring to watch, but because it wouldn't fit within the crisis narrative set up in the first act of the film. It is sloppy writing, but I think the writers just hoped nobody would really notice (or care).

18 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The team of multicultural caricatures was odd and seemed pointless, tacked on. Like they had a war movie with these guys and said "I know, lets put Wonder Woman in it too!" 

I read that as "it was cool in Captain America, let's do that too."