Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be frank, I wouldn't want to see a WW who is 6'2" and 230lbs. Gal Gadot is just fine.

My wife is 5'6" and 140 pounds and has a slender bikini body (2.5 pounds per inch).

People always comment on how slim she is.

If she were proportioned the same and 6'2" she'd weigh 185.

However, if she were more intensely exercising she'd have approx 10-15% more mass without looking remotely unfeminine. 

That would put her at 203-214 pounds.

So, while 235 is probably a little high, its not so crazy as to make Wondy a female bodybuilding competitor.

My wife is 5'6" and 140 pounds and has a slender bikini body (2.5 pounds per inch).

People always comment on how slim she is.

If she were proportioned the same and 6'2" she'd weigh 185.

However, if she were more intensely exercising she'd have approx 10-15% more mass without looking remotely unfeminine. 

That would put her at 203-214 pounds.

So, while 235 is probably a little high, its not so crazy as to make Wondy a female bodybuilding competitor.

With the physique Wonder Woman's usually drawn with I could believe 185, though my guess would be closer to 170 or 165.  Even at her largest Wonder Woman's never really be drawn as really muscular in my opinion.  She has the physique of a supermodel, not a weightlifter. 

Serena Williams is 5'9" and weighs around 180-200 pounds. Wonder Woman is typically not portrayed as "thick" as that. I could see her weighing around 170 if she's 6'2". 200+ would be a stretch, based upon how she's typically drawn by artists.

I suppose I can agree with that.  I can't recall a period where Wonder Woman was really drawn to be that muscular, now that I think on it.  Pictures of the Golden Age Wonder Woman actually seem close to Gadot in physique, which is why I'm mystified when people swear up and down that she's the "wrong" body type for Wonder Woman and somebody like *shudder* Chyna is, despite the fact that Wondy's never been drawn with a physique close to Chyna's.

If we have to go with ex-wrestlers, I'd say Beth Phoenix has the right physique though she'd have to dye her hair.  At any rate, I'm willing to see how well Gadot does in the role.

I just did a little googling around. The DC wiki (not sure if official) puts her at 6' and 130 lbs. A Who's Who entry (official) from the 90s puts her at 5'11" and 135 lbs.

Funny quote from older WW here:

4767189-4745721-tumblr_miwf6lwmpz1rz1rzu

So the person I was talking to was using bogus information.  Either that or he was making things up out of whole cloth.  He did have a crazy fanboy air about him after all.

At any rate 5'11', 135 lbs does seem more logical.

So the person I was talking to was using bogus information.  Either that or he was making things up out of whole cloth.  He did have a crazy fanboy air about him after all.

At any rate 5'11', 135 lbs does seem more logical.

He may have been basing his opinion off of artwork of the character, though his estimate seems way high on the weight. I think DC's own estimate is on the low side based on most artwork of the character.

He may have been basing his opinion off of artwork of the character, though his estimate seems way high on the weight. I think DC's own estimate is on the low side based on most artwork of the character.

Yeah he seemed to be under the impression that Wonder Woman was built like the Space Amazons from Futurama, or something. 

Of course when I showed him a picture of Golden Age Wondy, he went on a rant about the guy who created Wonder Woman and how he was a misogynist and all that so his argument might not have been coming from the most rational place.  Just sayin'.

I'm not saying that if Gal Gadot was a few inches taller and sported another 20-30 lbs of toned muscle mass that I'd complain. She might even look like the "perfect" Wonder Woman. But I'm not upset with Gadot the way she is.

For the record, this is what a 6'2" female bodybuilder looks like, and she reportedly competes at around 195-198 pounds.

I've seen some female bodybuilders with significantly more muscle mass than she has in relation to her frame. I'm not complaining, she's fantastic looking, but she's "medium" in terms of sheer mass development. Also, competition weights can be significantly lower than regular weight. She may be more realistically in the 215-220 range when not "cutting" for the judges. Competition weight is hard to maintain , can be unhealthy over time, and you actually lose strength and energy to hit it. Weight lifters and athletes are at their strongest when they aren't cut quite so deep.

I just did a little googling around. The DC wiki (not sure if official) puts her at 6' and 130 lbs. A Who's Who entry (official) from the 90s puts her at 5'11" and 135 lbs.

Funny quote from older WW here:

4767189-4745721-tumblr_miwf6lwmpz1rz1rzu

A half hour later, Diana is chillin' in her invisible plane.  The phone rings,

WW:  Oh hi, mom!  How the island?

Hippolyta:  Same as ever, still no dudes.  So how was the human spa treatment I bought for you?

WW:  Fine, but the humans are so tedious sometimes, mother.

Hippolyta:  You told them the brain energy thing again, didn't you?

I never pictured WW as having a bodybuilder physique, more like Olympic athlete, pro cross-fitter, or the women in the MMA - not necessarily bulky, but fit & toned and don't look like they'd blow over in a strong wind. So yeah, Gadot is a little waifish for my taste, but it's hardly a deal-breaker for me. Her height is of course irrelevant, since she'll be exactly as tall as the filmmakers want her to be.

Of course when I showed him a picture of Golden Age Wondy, he went on a rant about the guy who created Wonder Woman and how he was a misogynist and all that...

Wow. Marston could fairly be called a lot of things, but misogynist is hardly one of them!

I never pictured WW as having a bodybuilder physique, more like Olympic athlete, pro cross-fitter, or the women in the MMA - not necessarily bulky, but fit & toned and don't look like they'd blow over in a strong wind. So yeah, Gadot is a little waifish for my taste, but it's hardly a deal-breaker for me. Her height is of course irrelevant, since she'll be exactly as tall as the filmmakers want her to be.

Wow. Marston could fairly be called a lot of things, but misogynist is hardly one of them!

I agree with you there.  Didn't bother to try and convince that guy though, since he didn't seem like one of your "listens to reason" types.

I never pictured WW as having a bodybuilder physique, more like Olympic athlete, pro cross-fitter, or the women in the MMA - not necessarily bulky, but fit & toned and don't look like they'd blow over in a strong wind...

Agreed. However, people often underestimate muscle-weight. An athletic 6'2" woman who weighs in at 185 to 195 may not look "pumped and ripped."

the fact she seemed to retire from superheroing after the events of the upcoming movie

Facts are definitive.

That she seemed to retire from actively heroing is not definitive.

Maybe she did. Maybe she didn't.

And, even if we assume she did, it doesn't  necessarily follow that she stopped working out.

Maybe she did. Maybe she didn't.

Facts are not in evidence.

Does muscle tone matter for someone who can lift hundreds of tons?

No, but some people find it easier to suspend disbelief when a strong character looks strong, a warrior has a warrior's physique, etc.

That it is no way proportionate to her physics defying abilities is a separate issue.