Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

It's interesting to note that this pandemic shows us who's really important to society. When the celebrities and the rich cower in their mansions, no one misses them. It's the "lowest"  of the workers who are the most necessary to society. We need to ensure that society provides for them.

4 minutes ago, Zeropoint said:

It's interesting to note that this pandemic shows us who's really important to society. When the celebrities and the rich cower in their mansions, no one misses them. It's the "lowest"  of the workers who are the most necessary to society. We need to ensure that society provides for them.

As long as the NBA players are safe, the Republic stands 

Our governor actually has more than the usual amount of common sense, and he's demonstrated on several occasions that he's not afraid to stand up to the other members of his own Party when necessary. He's handled things here remarkably well, I feel.

1 hour ago, Zeropoint said:

Most of our people unconsciously equate the amount of money society chooses to pay someone for their work, to the quality of that work's contribution to society. But everyone who contributes to that society create the structural opportunities for people to make money. Most of the elites who haven't already recognized that never will.

We are seeing the end result of our nation's deep-seated fearmongering against government. This fear has been pushed on the populace - to varying degrees of effectiveness, depending on one's region - since Day 1. Witness a diminutive and impotent governing body that is struggling to contain an illness while economic highwaymen armed only with the implicit threat of death accost the average citizen for another silver more. There has been terror fomented over the idea that the G-Man is going to put us all in camps; meanwhile, the schizophrenic instigators of this terror clamor for a larger and larger armed force (despite the fact that we handily outspend the next few most powerful nations combined when it comes to armaments and volume of troops).

Civil liberties are bent and broken and not a single shot has to be fired. Prosaic threats to democracy can be handled by prosaic actions, but they will never be addressed so long as grown men and women focus on their fantasy of playing modern age Minutemen against black helicopters. There's a sickness in my nation: chalk it up to poor education, pollution (literal lead in the water, aerosol contaminants), inbreeding, abnormally large amygdalas, a heaping of conspiracy theories primarily tainted with fire-and-brimstone dogma and the worship of the almighty dollar.

An actual elected official (at least, I think he is elected as opposed to appointed) is coming on national television and pushing the notion that old people should die so the economy starts moving again. Notice how the show's host isn't responding to the Lieutenant Governor's stance whatsoever. Older people are more susceptible to COVID-19, but no one is flat-out immune to the possibility of death or a crippled respiratory system. Also, how does increasing the likelihood this virus will spread (thanks to these cavalier souls) help us?

Greed, man...greed.

13 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

And they'll be forgotten about again in a flash as soon as the crisis is over.

4 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

And they'll be forgotten about again in a flash as soon as the crisis is over.

Workers of the world unite? Seize the means of production? I know that universal healthcare and universal basic income are going to become significantly more popular now that we have strong historical precedent (namely: this pandemic) to emphasize their necessity.

2 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Workers of the world unite? Seize the means of production? I know that universal healthcare and universal basic income are going to become significantly more popular now that we have strong historical precedent (namely: this pandemic) to emphasize their necessity.

Considering America has more or less tossed aside the "workers" candidate in favor of the "status quo" one, they apparently like their current situation. "shrugs"

6 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Considering America has more or less tossed aside the "workers" candidate in favor of the "status quo" one, they apparently like their current situation. "shrugs"

At the moment, "Red Scare" nonsense still works, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Most of our people unconsciously equate the amount of money society chooses to pay someone for their work, to the quality of that work's contribution to society. But everyone who contributes to that society create the structural opportunities for people to make money. Most of the elites who haven't already recognized that never will.

I long ago postulated that a person's worth to society is in inverse proportion to how much they are paid.  If every CEO, movie star, and pro athlete disappeared from the face of the Earth, life would go on.  But if we lost every police officer, firefighter, etc. things would go in the crapper quite quickly. 

The main exception to this is doctors, whose worth to society is considerable, and who generally make a good living.

Well, firefighters make pretty good money, judging by the one to whom my sister was once married. Not doctor or lawyer good, but pretty good. But I take your meaning.

Now imagine if all the garbage collectors disappeared. Though there was a TV news segment here in The Other Washington about garbage collectors receiving applause.

As for athletes: Both NPR and CBS ran segments asking how cancelling the Olympic Games would affect the athletes scheduled to compete. I admit, my reaction was, "Who gives a rat's ass?" With a pandemic likely to kill hundreds of thousands, I am not worried about amusements.

It's why I suspended gaming a month ago: I have to care for my 87-year-old mother, and can only get to my gaming group by spending 3 hours on crowded buses. I miss spending time with my friends, but I will not risk my mother's life for the pleasure. I call it "responsible adulthood."

Dean Shomshak

EDIT FOR DOUBLE POST, AND WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?

The people who make me actually shake with rage, though, are the "Young Invulnerables" partying on Florida beaches. Apparently they are too stupid to understand, or too selfish to care, that the virus is spreading among them, rapidly, and they will start thousands of new chains of contagion when they return home.

Epidemics are IQ tests from the Universe: Can you change your behavior to stop the disease' transmission? Americans are failing the test, in ways that cannot all be blamed on Trump.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

As for athletes: Both NPR and CBS ran segments asking how cancelling the Olympic Games would affect the athletes scheduled to compete. I admit, my reaction was, "Who gives a rat's ass?" With a pandemic likely to kill hundreds of thousands, I am not worried about amusements.

Well, I sort of give a rat's ass. :P  Not for the amusement -- I haven't watched an Olympics since the 1980s. But I can spare some compassion for the athletes. They've dedicated most of their young lives to training to compete at the highest level, with athletes from everywhere on the planet, and to represent their home countries before the world. A tremendous amount of time, money, sweat and pain went into that process. Most of them won't win, won't experience public glory, won't get fat endorsement deals. They do it for the love of their sport, and the chance to count themselves among the best in the world; as well as the hope they'll inspire other young people to strive for their dreams, as they themselves were probably inspired.

8 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

We have nothing to lose but our chains.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

The Unemployment Insurance top-up is  a fixed $600. But what if that leads to the payment exceeding what they were earning in the first place? The poors will all quit and go on unemployment enjoyment! There seems to be some misunderstanding of the way that unemployment insurance works at play here, so I'm sure that it will all be sorted out soon enough. 

16 minutes ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

The Unemployment Insurance top-up is  a fixed $600. But what if that leads to the payment exceeding what they were earning in the first place? The poors will all quit and go on unemployment enjoyment! There seems to be some misunderstanding of the way that unemployment insurance works at play here, so I'm sure that it will all be sorted out soon enough. 

To me it's clear that the belief that an extra $600.00/week for four months is going to cause large numbers of people to quite their jobs, is coming from men who have never had to struggle to find and hold a job.