Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/522752-kushner-black-americans-have-to-want-to-be-successful

White House senior adviser (and Trump son-in-law) Jared Kushner said today a Fox News interview that in order for the president’s policies to be most effective, Black Americans must want to succeed.

“One thing we’ve seen in a lot of the Black community, which is mostly Democrat, is that President Trump’s policies are the policies that can help people break out of the problems that they’re complaining about. But he can’t want them to be successful more than they want to be successful.”

Yeah, the problems black people face in this country are that they don't want to be successful very much.

20 minutes ago, archer said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/522752-kushner-black-americans-have-to-want-to-be-successful

White House senior adviser (and Trump son-in-law) Jared Kushner said today a Fox News interview that in order for the president’s policies to be most effective, Black Americans must want to succeed.

“One thing we’ve seen in a lot of the Black community, which is mostly Democrat, is that President Trump’s policies are the policies that can help people break out of the problems that they’re complaining about. But he can’t want them to be successful more than they want to be successful.”

Yeah, the problems black people face in this country are that they don't want to be successful very much.

Either everyone on Trump's team hasn't the first clue about the black community in America, or they've completely given up on reaching out to them and are just playing to their base. Either possibility seems equally likely to me.

48 minutes ago, archer said:

It's the "shiftless, lazy blacks" trope.  And, sadly, there are plenty of white folks who silently nod their heads in agreement, and don't believe they're being racist, just "realistic".  See, those ugly negative stereotypes, in their minds, are largely "true", and therefore it can't possibly be racist for them to believe such things.  Archie Bunker writ large.  It's kinfolk to the same mindset that disregards scientific experts when those experts tell them inconvenient truths. 

1 hour ago, archer said:

He just needs to stop talking. The Lincoln Project put up a billboard in Times Square of him saying New York will just have to suffer from c-19

CES

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Either everyone on Trump's team hasn't the first clue about the black community in America, or they've completely given up on reaching out to them and are just playing to their base. Either possibility seems equally likely to me.

They are always playing to their base, so that part of your statement is redundant :).  There are quite a few things the administration has no clue about, and insensitivity towards minorities and minority issues is very solidly in their wheelhouse, so it follows that a rich New York jew is talking about blacks not wanting to succeed.  Clueless about tone, message, and messenger (again, wheelhouse for the administration).

4 hours ago, csyphrett said:

He just needs to stop talking. The Lincoln Project put up a billboard in Times Square of him saying New York will just have to suffer from c-19

CES

Oh, Jared is nothing when it comes to COVID and the White House position. How about this story:

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-joe-biden-donald-trump-pandemics-virus-outbreak-03de71eecbb9a605b1efc324cdeb3a5e

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows declared: “We’re not going to control the pandemic.” When asked to explain that statement, he added, "Because it is a contagious virus just like the flu.” He said that on CNN’s ”State of the Union" show yesterday.

32 minutes ago, Thia Halmades said:

Dr Ronald Sanders, of the Federal Salary Commission, when faced with an order to force people to swear loyalty to the president, resigned. Reported, with letter in hand, by Rachel Maddow just now (9:54p EST). Chilling stuff. Not the resignation. That they’re trying to legalize fascism. 

That is an inference.  The order doesn't state it;  the letter doesn't use that language.  The letter is here:
https://www.eenews.net/assets/2020/10/26/document_gw_02.pdf

Granted. the difference between requiring an oath, and the ability to dismiss at will, is small.  What this highlights to me is one of the ongoing, barely visible costs of this presidency:  talent drain.  How many mid-level and upper-level, longstanding employees have bailed due to the attitudes and tactics of the political appointees?  How has this impacted the talent pool for lower-level positions, which grow into the mid-level and senior positions over time?  Institutional memory and standards is A Thing.

The other thing that seriously worries me is...Trump will have 11 weeks between election day and inauguration day.  11 weeks when no one and nothing can slow him down.  I doubt he worries about the political calculus in any case, but it'll be a complete non-factor.  Any state that voted against him?  Good luck if you need federal assistance from, say, a killer storm, or if Covid-19 cases explode a la El Paso.  At the very least, it seems rather likely we might see many more orders like this one.

1 minute ago, unclevlad said:

Granted. the difference between requiring an oath, and the ability to dismiss at will, is small.  What this highlights to me is one of the ongoing, barely visible costs of this presidency:  talent drain.  How many mid-level and upper-level, longstanding employees have bailed due to the attitudes and tactics of the political appointees?  How has this impacted the talent pool for lower-level positions, which grow into the mid-level and senior positions over time?  Institutional memory and standards is A Thing.

Literally this is called the "race to the bottom" in the professional world.

1 hour ago, Thia Halmades said:

Don’t forget. Unless they pull some truly miraculous bullshit, and I mean miraculous, his term ends, and power moves to Biden. It just does. Swearing in is a formality, he becomes President. And that means he gets the military. Game, set, match.

Nope.  It's not that simple.  Barring an overwhelming win by Biden (that none of us expects):

--We all, or almost all, expect massive challenges to the mail-in ballots and broad charges of election fraud to try to force changes in individual states.

--The members of the Electoral College are NOT required to abide by the popular vote, and there is no set process to select them.  This was bandied about in some depth a few weeks ago when Trump wouldn't say he'd abide by the vote.  More here:  https://people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college2.htm

--The job never moves to Biden without affirmative action to select him.  Things could end up in the House, but there's a wrinkle there...it does look like it's by *state*.  Each state's delegation makes its choice, and the winner is the one with the most *states*.  

53 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Are the outcomes binary: "overwhelming" versus "close"? There is no middle result?

Let’s just say that what most might call “convincing” for the margin...may well not be here.  Heck, even a 15 percentage point margin...57-42, say...may do nothing but lead to louder screams about election fraud.

And the negative of “overwhelming” isn’t “close.”  53-47 wouldn’t be close, but it definitely isn’t overwhelming, particularly for, let’s say for illustration only, Texas.

Another aspect for overwhelming is the overall electoral count.  If it’s, say, 370-160, it would be harder to try to challenge the results.  If it’s more like 310-230...it’s more likely that challenging in several states could change the outcome.

The administration plans to announce that coronavirus vaccines will be covered under Medicare or Medicaid once they are full developed and released. Current policy is that such vaccines would not be covered.

Trump planning on announcing that change today or tomorrow.

"Covered by Medicare or Medicaid" isn't necessarily the same as "free" but I'm sure Trump will be able to convey that nuance.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/522894-trump-admin-to-announce-coronavirus-vaccine-will-be-covered-under-medicare

Good thing Trump isn't prone to using his position for advantage in his campaign for president or I'd be suspicious of the timing.

1 hour ago, archer said:

The administration plans to announce that coronavirus vaccines will be covered under Medicare or Medicaid once they are full developed and released. Current policy is that such vaccines would not be covered.

Trump planning on announcing that change today or tomorrow.

"Covered by Medicare or Medicaid" isn't necessarily the same as "free" but I'm sure Trump will be able to convey that nuance.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/522894-trump-admin-to-announce-coronavirus-vaccine-will-be-covered-under-medicare

Good thing Trump isn't prone to using his position for advantage in his campaign for president or I'd be suspicious of the timing.

(bolding added)

I'm sorry, I'm currently suffering from a sarcasm overdose.  

37 minutes ago, archer said:

I can't get HTML text codes to work as of a couple of site updates ago. And I never remember to use the ones built into the site. :) 

I tried to do a reaction to your original post, but Confused didn't quite fit, neither did Sad (it would be a good thing if the vaccine will be covered, though I'm not happy with the near-certainty of Trump doing so for political purposes, so Like didn't fit either.  So I ended up removing the reaction.  

Well, if it isn't enough to accuse doctors and nurses of stealing supplies, I guess you can also accuse them about lying on case counts.

yayyy

Seriously, it feels like there's literally no concept of "working with/for the people" anymore.  'The people' are literally treated like the enemy at worst, a hostage at best.

9 hours ago, Starlord said:

It's actually clever. Sanders can't be president so no longer a threat. It is a nice attempt to rile those who wanted to vote for Bernie into resenting Biden, and whether or not that works, ,that will cause others in the Democrats to growl about 'Disloyal Bernie bros' nevermind that more Bernie supporters voted for Clinton in 2016 than Clinton Supporters voted for Obama in 2008.

Give the bastard props, Trump knows how to sow hate and division.