Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

10 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I'd rather see the legislature compromising on bills meant to benefit the country as a whole, with neither party being entirely thrilled with the results, than so devoted to sinking the opposition's every proposal that nothing gets done.

The only reason that the Reps are letting it go through now is that they feel they've sapped it enough that it will fail to bring positive results.....which they'll blame the Dems for. Again....too early to get excited.

OTOH the GOP probably anticipate backlash if they simply block legislation that most voters will consider beneficial to them. Not one Republican legislator having supported the Dems' COVID relief bill has been getting a lot of play from the Left.

All compromises fall somewhere between gold and garbage.

5 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I'm tired of the progressive side having to make all the compromises though. Compromise is supposed to be a two way street. In America, it's the progressive side giving ground until the conservatives are happy while they give up nothing. That's not compromise to me.

Still waiting for an administration waiting to even attempt to build a future for our civilization because of climate change

16 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I'm tired of the progressive side having to make all the compromises though. Compromise is supposed to be a two way street. In America, it's the progressive side giving ground until the conservatives are happy while they give up nothing. That's not compromise to me.

This sounds like the way it is in business.  Business say you take this and workers take it exactly as the business say.  The only other option would be to refuse and go on public assistance,  which does not provide sufficient support to make minimum life requirements. So either the workers take the pay that business offers that barely meets life requirements or public assistance that doesn't, which are you doing to take?

1 hour ago, Asperion said:

This sounds like the way it is in business.  Business say you take this and workers take it exactly as the business say.  The only other option would be to refuse and go on public assistance,  which does not provide sufficient support to make minimum life requirements. So either the workers take the pay that business offers that barely meets life requirements or public assistance that doesn't, which are you doing to take?

That’s only true if there’s no alternative employer willing to pay more, or offer other incentives. I agree that what you describe has often (mostly) been the case, but in recent months it’s a very different paradigm. There’s also individual choices one must make… I get paid pretty well for a job I may very much not like as much as the one I had prior (which paid about 50% less). The choice I have to make is take the money in exchange for less enjoyable work, move away from family and friends seeking better prospects elsewhere, or something similar.

It’s a really different paradigm when you cannot fill positions, particularly highly skilled and mission critical ones.

The current trend of unfilled labor positions is mainly for crappy jobs: low pay, long hours, poor conditions, no benefits, no recourse for complaints. With the increased emphasis on working from home, and the supplementary money most governments in the developed world are offering due to COVID, many folks have realized they don't need to immediately go back to crappy jobs to keep a roof over their heads. They have the opportunity and time to look for something better. Employers used to having their own way in dealing with their workers now have to shift their thinking to make those jobs more attractive.

6 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The current trend of unfilled labor positions is mainly for crappy jobs: low pay, long hours, poor conditions, no benefits, no recourse for complaints. With the increased emphasis on working from home, and the supplementary money most governments in the developed world are offering due to COVID, many folks have realized they don't need to immediately go back to crappy jobs to keep a roof over their heads. They have the opportunity and time to look for something better. Employers used to having their own way in dealing with their workers now have to shift their thinking to make those jobs more attractive.

That isn’t the case in Northern California, we have many labor sectors that are struggling to fill positions. Government, tech, healthcare, etc. 

We cannot full psychiatry, nursing or social service positions. Those are relatively high paying, pensioned positions.

Yes, dishwasher or cook is very difficult to fill. But so are IHSS Administrators.

It’s a pretty intense market, and we are seeing wage increases and other incentives in a lot of sectors that are showing mixed results. We just lost one of our best people for a nearly total telework job… the other position they left isn’t really able to do that more than 2 days a week. Good for her, of course, but it’s still an organizational problem. We can always pay more, I suppose, and the public will need to cover that cost (government). 

It’s definitely a pretty pro labor market right now… everyone in the area is hiring.

4 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

We just lost one of our best people for a nearly total telework job

I quit my last job four years ago for a remote work position and small pay increase (and substantial benefits improvement).  A lot of people left after me over poor pay and a job that absolutely refused to let us do remote work, even though our productivity was directly measurable and it was a type of work easily done from home (as we did when there was emergency situations).

2 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I quit my last job four years ago for a remote work position and small pay increase (and substantial benefits improvement).  A lot of people left after me over poor pay and a job that absolutely refused to let us do remote work, even though our productivity was directly measurable and it was a type of work easily done from home (as we did when there was emergency situations).

Yes there’s definitely a desire from staff for more telework options, and we’ve offered some significant incentives in that area. Hard to give injections over Zoom though… or take vitals, run a jail, or respond to community disasters like fires. I don’t want the sheriff on Zoom or Teams if I call 911.

Just now, Iuz the Evil said:

Yes there’s definitely a desire from staff for more telework options, and we’ve offered some significant incentives in that area. Hard to give injections over Zoom though… or take vitals.

Yep, and I have friends who do jobs that can technically be done remotely, but have big cohesion issues with team members.

3 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Yep, and I have friends who do jobs that can technically be done remotely, but have big cohesion issues with team members.

Yeah for sure, and we have a lot of folks who don’t want to work remotely. They want a partition between work and home, or the home environment isn’t conducive to work… or work is a social outlet for them. It’s pretty complicated and still evolving.

27 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Unfortunately there is an incredible amount of this in online communities.  Openly fascist youtubers (who have 'pro fascist' in their youtube name/description), eager white supremacists.  If and when things get more unstable (economically, environmentally), these people will sweep in to gobble up followers and incite violence in their name.

We are basically headed for the same outcome as those places, and I've unfortunately been worried about this trend since the start of the pandemic (let alone the election stuff, the rhetoric that I'm worried will legitimize this the most).

3 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

That isn’t the case in Northern California, we have many labor sectors that are struggling to fill positions. Government, tech, healthcare, etc. 

We cannot full psychiatry, nursing or social service positions. Those are relatively high paying, pensioned positions.

Yes, dishwasher or cook is very difficult to fill. But so are IHSS Administrators.

I still maintain my "mainly," but I don't doubt that all sectors are feeling the crunch. Health care must be particularly stretched for personnel now, after the stress and extreme conditions everyone in that sector has been dealing with for over a year. The upheaval in our lives during this pandemic has a lot of people reevaluating their expectations from a job.

I personally think DeSantis' and Abbott's bans are unjustified, and a serious abuse of power.  It will be interesting to see how these play out, from a strictly legal and political perspective.  From a human one...well, the orders are disasters in the making, and I feel awful for any kids or family that suffers from it.