Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Speaking of politics remember when 58 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in american history and we were told it was shameful to politicize it?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sean-hannity-pushing-gun-control-after-vegas-is-beyond-shameful

Guess how long it took you know who to politicize the NYC killing of 8 people?

http://www.10news.com/news/national/trump-blames-democrats-immigration-policies-for-nyc-terror-attack

10 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

There are a lot of flavors of conservative*, and I really don't expect everyone to immediately denounce everything that sets folks off. Likewise, "but they did it, too" didn't work so well on the playground, won't get you out of a speeding ticket, and probably shouldn't be used in politics, either.

*Feel free to substitute liberal here, as well. Heck, there's often so much noise, it's really hard to get the signal straight from either side.

This is correct. Neither party is monolithic, but rather is a coalition of diverse interest groups with specific policy priorities and concerns.  That said, with increasing partisan polarization has come a kind of tribalization of beliefs--while most registered Republicans traditionally saw the party platform as a kind of "Chinese menu"(a la carte, pick and choose what you like), based on polling it has been increasingly the case that positions of the "hardcore base" have solidified across the board--all or nothing, IOW, particularly with regard to Trump supporters.  This is also true, but to a lesser extent, of the hardcore Democratic base.  OTOH, the essential problem with a yearning for "centrist politics" is that the center arguably stands for nothing concrete except perhaps the hope for getting along.  It's too nebulous and too readily defined in terms of the right and left poles.  In fact there's a lot of criticism from the left that, since their positions haven't shifted nearly as much as the right over time, that "moving to the center" effectively means continually drifting further and further right, because whenever the Democrats move to the center, the Republicans just shift further right.  Better to just stand their ground on the left than abandon principle to chase votes that keep moving further and further away from them, in their view.  

So the Orange Occupant is coming to visit tomorrow.  After landing he will go from the airport to his hotel in Waikiki for about an hour, then turn around and go back to Pearl Harbor, which is immediately adjacent to the airport he will have just landed at.  Then after that he'll go back to Waikiki.  Freeways will be closed for hours, during the Friday afternoon rush, in one of the worst cities in the nation for traffic.

Seriously, f__k this guy.

Does Waikiki really have some of the worst traffic in the nation?  

As a recovered Chicago resident, I'm honestly curious...

(currently loving a bad rush hour occurring when turkeys/deer/geese/ducks decide to cross the road and take their sweet time doing it...resulting in a 5 minute delay.    Worst we've had is the horror of getting stuck behind a tractor as they're switching fields....and they tend to mount big pointy things on the front to discourage folks from getting too obstinate...or pick up hay rounds, never could tell which)

We rank 8th on this list, 6th on this one, and first in last year's Forbes list that was based on annual time wasted.

Traffic here is a demonstration in chaos theory--it's usually just bad, but if there's an accident or stall on certain stretches of road, you're doomed.  I use Waze religiously even though it sucks; any source of real time information on traffic state is critical.

3 hours ago, Andrew_A said:

Donna Brazile just threw Hillary under a bus (metaphorically speaking).

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

Reaction (NSFW, swearing):

I've seen a convincing argument that Brazile is confusing the 2016 Joint Funding Agreement(post primaries) with the 2015 Joint Funding Agreement.  The latter provides no such provisions as she describes, but the 2016 agreement does(and properly so).  If so, she is disseminating disinformation and is being massively irresponsible here.  

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

We rank 8th on this list, 6th on this one, and first in last year's Forbes list that was based on annual time wasted.

Traffic here is a demonstration in chaos theory--it's usually just bad, but if there's an accident or stall on certain stretches of road, you're doomed.  I use Waze religiously even though it sucks; any source of real time information on traffic state is critical.

So all those high-speed pursuits on Hawaii Five-O are pure fantasy. Disappointing. :(

Oh that tears it! Hillary fixed the Primaries! Why that....

Oh wait, I wasn't a Bernie Sanders supporter. The Democratic Primaries meant nothing to me. As for the rest, I already believed that Hillary Clinton was scum so no rage here. Not really any sort of affirmation for that matter. I didn't need that either.

So no rage. No nothing.

Well, I did support him, and I wanted him to win, but I held my noise and voted for her after all.  Details need to be confirmed and looked into greater depth, but for a lot of Bernie Supporters this pretty much is a smoking gun to what they already suspected and were mocked for.

And I'm sold on one thought:

Hillary Clinton does not need to run again. 

Rightly or wrongly, it seems almost half  the country would vote for anyone but her (And did) and now, I think a good number of those Bernie Supporters who did vote for her will now never vote for her either.

If she runs again, I'm convinced she'll lose.

4 hours ago, Nolgroth said:

Oh that tears it! Hillary fixed the Primaries! Why that....

Actually, that is the one statement that the article never makes.

I had tried to search out any other evidence of internal corruption that would show that the DNC was rigging the system to throw the primary to Hillary, but I could not find any in party affairs or among the staff. I had gone department by department, investigating individual conduct for evidence of skewed decisions, and I was happy to see that I had found none.

So, if that statement is to be believed (and if not then why believe any of the rest article?), then Hillary owned the butcher shop, but never put her thumb on the scale with respect to her primary with Bernie Sanders.  

From the sound of it, Hillary was inheriting a bankrupt DNC and goinginto vigorously contested primary.  She had to bail out the DNC because she knew that she would need it in the general election, but couldn't just give away her money because she knew she might need it in the primaries.  So, she acted like a lawyer  and gave the money but attached strings to it.  All fairly rational.

My question is why did Obama leave the DNC in so much debt.  Is this normal for a re-elected president?  It seems the debt would have been fairly easy for a charismatic fund-raiser with no future elections of his own to worry about like Obama.  Why leave the organization bankrupt that way? 

On 11/2/2017 at 6:57 AM, megaplayboy said:

This is correct. Neither party is monolithic, but rather is a coalition of diverse interest groups with specific policy priorities and concerns.  That said, with increasing partisan polarization has come a kind of tribalization of beliefs--while most registered Republicans traditionally saw the party platform as a kind of "Chinese menu"(a la carte, pick and choose what you like), based on polling it has been increasingly the case that positions of the "hardcore base" have solidified across the board--all or nothing, IOW, particularly with regard to Trump supporters.  This is also true, but to a lesser extent, of the hardcore Democratic base.  OTOH, the essential problem with a yearning for "centrist politics" is that the center arguably stands for nothing concrete except perhaps the hope for getting along.  It's too nebulous and too readily defined in terms of the right and left poles.  In fact there's a lot of criticism from the left that, since their positions haven't shifted nearly as much as the right over time, that "moving to the center" effectively means continually drifting further and further right, because whenever the Democrats move to the center, the Republicans just shift further right.  Better to just stand their ground on the left than abandon principle to chase votes that keep moving further and further away from them, in their view.  

I've heard the equal and opposite view espoused by folks on the Right. They often miss the point that the Right pretty much holds the cards right now and is doing a much better job at playing 52 pick-up than they are playing their hand.

interesting. There is a member here that spews far more filth onto the page than my little "stick" and appears to be unchallenged. I suppose if the rhetoric agrees with you then it is fine. Whatever. Go ahead and give those Moderation Abilities a whirl. It has been a fun ride but I am, quite frankly, sick of the bias around here. Thank  you, and I mean that in all earnestness, for keeping this place going. I'm just not prepared to shut my mouth when I have to read insults that encompass me because of my ideology while a little poking earns me a threat.

See y'all down the road someplace.