Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

12 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Brian Ross issued an on air correction where he makes it clear that Flynn talked to the Russians after the election when Trump was President-Elect, and not a "Candidate."

Which is a slam dunk violation of the Logan Act that should result in jail for whoever ordered it. President-elects have no business dealing with foreign governments about anything prior to taking the oath of office. Flynn has provided solid evidence that the president-elect's nascent administration was dealing with Russia to undercut sanctions and UN votes while Obama was still in office. 

Meanwhile, the Occupant used Twitter today to admit that he knew Flynn lied to the FBI when he fired him, in effect admitting to obstruction of justice. 

11 hours ago, DShomshak said:

I've been asked if I was Canadian. I was also once asked if I was British, apparently because I can talk in complete and grammatically correct sentences.

It's a funny world sometimes.

Dean Shomshak

Indeed it is. The same speech habit appeared to lead someone to conclude I'm gay. :rolleyes:

.Observation that the US should pursue a stability/"avoid refugees" policy over a "promote democracy" policy. I'll grant that the article is a skosch racist, but that might be part of the point; an influx of immigrants/refugees inflames racist tendencies. 

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/americas-paramount-foreign-policy-goal-minimizing-refugees/

13 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

.Observation that the US should pursue a stability/"avoid refugees" policy over a "promote democracy" policy. I'll grant that the article is a skosch racist, but that might be part of the point; an influx of immigrants/refugees inflames racist tendencies. 

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/americas-paramount-foreign-policy-goal-minimizing-refugees/

Accepting refugees is not only the moral thing to do (given the United States' foreign policy in regards to the Middle East which stretches from today back to the middle of the twentieth century), but also the pragmatic thing to do. People who see the consequences of military intervention - chiefly motivated by lobbying/the military-industrial complex, mind you -  through the very real displacement of fellow humans from their homelands are more likely to take a stronger stance against similar proposed interventions in the future.

I believe that's a satire/joke site.

WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people –  are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any persons, living, dead, or undead is purely a miracle.

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

When I visit Brazil, people think I'm French.

When I was in England during the first part of 2000, I had several people come up to me and start speaking Dutch.  I understand German a little, so could parse enough to explain I wasn't Dutch.  Though in all cases, they spoke English.  According to DNA results, I mostly match German & Dutch.

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

Well, I think it's a mite overstated, for example, if we are making air strikes on China then all the missiles have likely been expended. Saturation fire is a well known counter for defense systems, so that is a fair concern to raise though.

President Trump's war with the FBI continues. 

I still don't understand the logic of attacking one of your own intelligence agencies - but if I had to guess I would say that's his real problem with them: They're not 'his' intelligence agency.  But he says he'll fix that.

And to nobody's ultimate surprise he finally backs Moore:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/04/trump-backs-roy-moore-need-his-vote.html

2 hours ago, DasBroot said:

I still don't understand the logic of attacking one of your own intelligence agencies - but if I had to guess I would say that's his real problem with them: They're not 'his' intelligence agency.  But he says he'll fix that.

I'm sure that's part of the issue. Trump always demands complete personal loyalty from anyone he sees as working under him, despite (or perhaps because) he rarely returns that loyalty.

But Trump's public Russia woes began with the FBI's investigation. I imagine he's labeled the agency his enemy. And his behavior toward perceived enemies is consistent -- do everything he can to try to discredit them.

That clearly is logical, as long as you remember that logical isn't the same as reasonable.

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

Brian Ross seems to have a problem with checking his work, but that's nothing compared to Trump's emoluments problem, his obstruction of justice problem, and his Logan Act problem.

What problems? Nothing has done anything more to him than make sure he stays on top of the news cycle every day as of yet.

Peter Strzok, a senior FBI agent was dropped from the Russia investigations because he was caught having an affair with an FBI lawyer and sharing anti-Trump pro-Hillary texts with her. He was also part of the group that found that Hillary was only "extremely careless" and not "grossly negligent"

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454361/peter-strzok-fbi-scandal-partisan-american-bureaucracy

So yeah, the FBI's impartial credibility has taken a hit. The deep state conspiracy theorists got more ammo.