Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, Christopher said:

You know how US Republicans are against "big government" and for state rights? Well, I do not know why you would still think that, their actions are pretty clearly the opposite:

https://nypost.com/2017/12/06/house-passes-gop-bill-allowing-concealed-carry-across-state-lines/

In short: If you have a Conceal Carry Licenses in any one state, this one is automatically applied in any state that also allows Concealed Carry - regardless how different the rules for it are there.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/11/04/jeff-sessions-once-again-hints-that-a-marijuana-cr.aspx

Republicans absolutely :love: big gubmint, as long as it's forcing conservative values on people. "State's rights" is conservative dog whistle for allowing red states to ignore civil rights laws and pass laws targeting minorities and women. As soon as a state passes a law conservatives don't like they want to roll out the federal government steamroller.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

There may well be some Trump supporters who see that as a feature, not a bug.

Killing the Economy is totally something that works for extremist groups. And fireseasons that last year-round totally work for that:
Lesson2976.jpg

Now STW always goes and links the study in question. Unforunatley it seems to be behind a Paywall:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308662764_American_individualism_rises_and_falls_with_the_economy_Cross-temporal_evidence_that_individualism_declines_when_the_economy_falters

9 hours ago, MSgtB said:

I've a proposition that I welcome comment on.  (This post perhaps should be it's own topic, I leave that to the moderator's decision.)

Given how stridently the "Left" and "Right" segments of the U.S. population are in disagreement on just about every topic, who thinks it might be a good idea to split the nation into two separate nations?  Let the "Deep Blue" states form one government and the "Red States" another.

We'd have the West coast and the North East (the coastal strip from Maryland to Maine) form the People's Democratic Republic of America and the remainder form the Republic of American States.  The two could draft their own constitutions, based on the original, but with all the changes that would make it fit their ideology more comfortably.

As examples:

• The Second Amendment, where the two sides have perhaps the most strident disagreement.  The PDRA could dispense with it altogether, or write it in a much more constrained way.  The RAS could also reword it to make clearer just how far, and no further, any state could limit access to firearms and types of firearms.
  • Both nations could readdress if they wished Supreme Court decisions, such as Wickard v. Filburn, which dramatically increased the regulatory power of the federal government.  This 1942 decision broadened the interpretation of the Commerce clause.  According to Earl M. Maltz, Filburn and other New Deal decisions gave Congress "the authority to regulate private economic activity in a manner near limitless in its purview."  Earl M. Maltz as quoted in footnote 223 of Chen (2003)

Which nation, in 20 years, do you think would be in better shape economically?  Socially? Which would you say would conform most closely to the Founder's vision?  Where could you find the greatest personal liberty?  Which most likely to become Authoritarian or even Totalitarian?

I eagerly await your thoughts!

I will point out that such conjecture and posturing is not what this thread is for....though the decidedly political nature of the "thought exercise" prohibits posting it elsewhere.  

In short: find some other site if you want to engage in a thought experiment that was attempted over 160 years ago (and resulted in more American deaths than any other conflict in our history).

5 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

MSgtB's post was apparently caught in the new poster hold for some time, and wasn't available (at least for me) when Pattern Ghost posted.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

Likewise.

Yeah, unfortunate timing, there. I sorta kinda fixed it. It was supposed to be a response to Old Man's response to Christopher's post. Kind of screwed up the flow of the joke on that one.

And it's official, Jones has beaten Moore.

Even though this wasn't remotely my horse race, and I'm not taking a side concerning political parties, given the issues in this contest I can't help feeling a bit of vindication for my faith in the inherent decency of the American people.

2 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

And it's official, Jones has beaten Moore.

Even though this wasn't remotely my horse race, and I'm not taking a side concerning political parties, given the issues in this contest I can't help feeling a bit of vindication for my faith in the inherent decency of the American people.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."- Winston Churchill 

As an Alabama voter, I am happy to see Jones win. The vote broke mostly on urban/rural lines with the larger urban counties carrying Jones. A large minority turnout was also a factor but the biggest thing was the allegations against Moore.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/page/2017_alabama_us_senate_election_results.html#incart_election