Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

In fairness, the FBI has been shown to be partisan, or to have had partisan people working on political cases. I can understand wanting to investigate them, and the investigation is part of Congress' responsibility.

There's roughly zero chance this is a good faith inquiry into the FBI, so much as an effort to discredit the agency and the special counsel in advance of any findings by the latter regarding the president's conduct during the past 2-3 years.  

At best, the timing is extremely suspect and looks utterly indefensible. At worst it's a direct attack on the justice system to discredit legitimate accusations in advance of public disclosure. 

The FBI is an independent, nonpartisan entity. They've prosecuted members of both political parties. All the folks chanting "lock her up" can take comfort in equal treatment under the law. 

9 hours ago, Sociotard said:

In fairness, the FBI has been shown to be partisan, or to have had partisan people working on political cases. I can understand wanting to investigate them, and the investigation is part of Congress' responsibility.

For those 30% diehard republican voters everything that does not follow their ideas is Partisan or Leftwing.

They are currently talking themself up for a violent uprising over a preceive "coup" by the FBI. And you are still defending them?

I am defending them. I am able to empathize with them.

They have seen an FBI agent working on the case of both their candidate and his rival, which FBI agent then communicated that he was wholly partisan. They don't think that the FBI is going to have a coup in the sense of shooting and so forth. They think the FBI is going to press charges on Trump, even frame him if necessary, and get him out with a veneer of legitimacy.  I get that. It is a stretch, but stranger things have happened.

Imagine for a minute that a cop shoots an unarmed black guy, and then it comes out that the cop had a history of racist tweets.  Would you trust the cop when he said the guy was going for the cop's gun?  Even if it came out that the black guy had a violent record?

Except the FBI agent in question was transferred the instant they discovered the texts, and this happened fairly early on into Mueller taking over the investigation.  While the general suggestion of bias sounds compelling at first, the details tend to suggest such concerns are overblown.  

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

They have seen an FBI agent working on the case of both their candidate and his rival, which FBI agent then communicated that he was wholly partisan.

They only heard of it after he was already moved. Becuase he might be biased. That is just how seriously they take not being biased.

Sorry, but at that level of making certain there is no Bias, all claims there is Bias are simply attempts at attacking a valid investigation.

If that was somehow not enough, then what would be enough? Give us a actuall target, not this shifting goalpost nonsense.

31 minutes ago, Christopher said:

They only heard of it after he was already moved. Becuase he might be biased. That is just how seriously they take not being biased.

Sorry, but at that level of making certain there is no Bias, all claims there is Bias are simply attempts at attacking a valid investigation.

If that was somehow not enough, then what would be enough? Give us a actuall target, not this shifting goalpost nonsense.

The one thing you could always use to differentiate between Conspiracy nutcase and serious thing is a simple question:
"What does it take to proof you wrong?"

For Russia Collusion: "The invenstigation finishing, the Sentences (if any) becomming un-repeable.

For the FBI not being Democratic Biased: "Becomming Republican biased, stopping the investigation and putting Muller agaisnt a wall"?

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, Ternaugh said:

Well, there's what Paul Ryan has laid out:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/01/gop-eyes-post-tax-cut-changes-to-welfare-medicare-and-social-security/?utm_term=.a80e803e00e3

It's also the model used in several states (Maine and Wisconsin comes to mind).

Ryan, Rubio, Hatch et al. say that Social Security and Medicare are already creating a fiscal disaster, and they will have to be cut to avert it, but that's been conservative and Republican dogma for decades. Ryan also seems to be shrugging and saying the deficit from the tax bill is small potatoes compared to the entitlement problem. But nobody in this article comes out and says that yes, they are deliberately making deficits worse in order to have an excuse to end entitlements sooner.

Ryan may sincerely believe what he says. I disagree, but this isn't proof of a scheme to manufacture a debt crisis that can be exploited.

You'll have to fill me in on Wisconsin and Maine.

Dean Shomshak

51 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Ryan, Rubio, Hatch et al. say that Social Security and Medicare are already creating a fiscal disaster, and they will have to be cut to avert it, but that's been conservative and Republican dogma for decades. Ryan also seems to be shrugging and saying the deficit from the tax bill is small potatoes compared to the entitlement problem. But nobody in this article comes out and says that yes, they are deliberately making deficits worse in order to have an excuse to end entitlements sooner.

Ryan may sincerely believe what he says. I disagree, but this isn't proof of a scheme to manufacture a debt crisis that can be exploited.

You'll have to fill me in on Wisconsin and Maine.

Dean Shomshak

I sincerely doubt that any politician will admit to deliberately making a fiscal disaster so that they can have an excuse to get rid of entitlements, and that's not what I was saying. Wisconsin and Maine both elected governors who cut taxes, and then cut benefits and services when the decreased revenues were not enough to cover expenses. I'd also add Kansas to the list (google "Kansas financial crisis"), and also mention that Brownback's tax plan has many components that are duplicated in the Federal plan.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

I sincerely doubt that any politician will admit to deliberately making a fiscal disaster so that they can have an excuse to get rid of entitlements, and that's not what I was saying. Wisconsin and Maine both elected governors who cut taxes, and then cut benefits and services when the decreased revenues were not enough to cover expenses. I'd also add Kansas to the list (google "Kansas financial crisis"), and also mention that Brownback's tax plan has many components that are duplicated in the Federal plan.

Fool me once? Shame on you.

Fool me twice? Shame on me.

It happened often enough that we can see it as a pattern.
If we think really low of the Republicans, we might say they did not even notice it.