Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I wouldn't call this a massive improvement.  I give them some credit for adding the false alarm button but clearly nothing has been done to address the confusing UI in the first place.  It also looks suspiciously like the whole thing is being run out of Firefox (or Internet Explorer), which is making the IT security voice in my head cry. 

Considering the old System? It is a massive improovement.

Keeping a ComboBox on the wrong selection and clicking "Ok" is easy.

Choosing the wrong option from a list? A lot harder.

Considering this a complete Redo of the UI and even in a short timeframe, this result is good.

I asume of course that this will not be the final product. There is still a lot of room for improovement from here. But as a literal Quick Fix/Patch, it works.

As for this looking like a WebApp: It could have well been a requirement during development. A Intranet Web Application is a pretty low porfile thing to add to any existing network. As long as it is not reachable from the Internet, I see no particular security isseus with this approach. A attacker would still ahve to first suborn a computer in the Network. Possibly a specific Computer in a specific Subnet.

Programming for Governments faces a whole host of extra challenges to any programmer. Often there is legacy stuff that was old in the last century still around. The german green party actually recently quried "how much would it cost to make Tax Form Processing Gender Neutral". The answer was: "We need about 2800 workdays just to figure that out". As was to be expected, a lot of comments of course blamed the Programmer. When in all likelyhood there was still some code from 1980 moving around in that Infrastructure. And sorry, but Gender Neutrality was not exactly a thing 40 years ago. It was more a mater of Bureaucracy that the Systems had not been Updated/repalced all that time.

2 minutes ago, Christopher said:

As for this looking like a WebApp: It could have well been a requirement during development. A Intranet Web Application is a pretty low porfile thing to add to any existing network. As long as it is not reachable from the Internet, I see no particular security isseus with this approach. A attacker would still ahve to first suborn a computer in the Network. Possibly a specific Computer in a specific Subnet.

Programming for Governments faces a whole host of extra challenges to any programmer. Often there is legacy stuff that was old in the last century still around. The german green party actually recently quried "how much would it cost to make Tax Form Processing Gender Neutral". The answer was: "We need about 2800 workdays just to figure that out". As was to be expected, a lot of comments of course blamed the Programmer. When in all likelyhood there was still some code from 1980 moving around in that Infrastructure. And sorry, but Gender Neutrality was not exactly a thing 40 years ago. It was more a mater of Bureaucracy that the Systems had not been Updated/repalced all that time.

And you know who is to blame for this most? The Taxpayer!

"Why do you want to upgrade your Programm Infrastructure. You just did that 20 years ago. After we cut your measures down to 10% of what you wanted. Stop with the Tax wasting!"

People just seem to not get on average that you sometimes have to spend money short term to save money longterm.

3 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

“Any insinuation of special treatment is counter to these facts,” 

Oh really? Tell me another one. 

If you have a debt of...say...$3000 with your local bank, they'll take you to task and rake you over the coals. If you're connected, you can have $300,000,000 in debt and sleep like a baby.

13 hours ago, Old Man said:

I get that software development is hard, and public sector contracting doesn't help.  I have been uncomfortably involved with both.  But FFS space out the links, or change their color, or something.  Jesus.

Changing the color of the links would work.

If the Browser would not jsut override those selections, with whatever was choosen for link/link you clicked once already in it's settings.

As I said, I fully asume this is not the final product. Just grouping them together a bit would help already.

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

Really?  Faced with public threats on your life by the head of a state with a history of invading other countries (e.g. Putin), you would unilaterally disarm?  Okay.

Not saying to unilaterally disarm - just to keep things conventional:  North Korea has a large enough standing army and enough hardware to decimate the peninsula as is and nobody seriously wants to inherit the mess that is North Korea through annexation or conquest, regardless: Their paranoia has been unjustified for decades now.

Pushing the nuclear ambition agenda serves no other point than to keep the attention and condemnation of the world upon them so they can play the part of martyr-hero and tell their people 'see? We're so awesome  that the world fears and respects us' to remain in power.  

48 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Uhm, isn't that kind of the story that diehard Trump supporters play too?

"He is so awesome, a secret conspiracy that we can not find wants to get him out".

Sure, but their opinion between voting days means absolutely nothing.  Like him, hate him, be indifferent to him - Trump will be gone in no more than 8 years and America will move on. 

Kim has the sword of Damocles over his head where if he stops demonizing the world his people could realize how badly they have it and turn on him. Kim has to keep this rhetoric up for the rest of his life and then whoever he appoints heir will as well, and so on and so forth.  

North Korea won't denuclearize, because they see how cautious the whole world is in dealing with every country that has nuclear weapons. Would anyone beyond their neighboring countries even pay attention to this impoverished, isolationist nation if they didn't have nukes? Much less treat them like a major player on the world stage. The nuclear option gives the regime security and leverage, and in their eyes, prestige and respect.

Kim Jong Un is a survivor who's been swimming with sharks his whole life. He's determined not to go the way of Saddam Hussein, Mohammar Ghadaffi, or Manuel Noriega, just to name a few.

This NY Times article offers historical perspective on American immigration debates. "Let's try to only let in people who will assimilate easily" sounds so much nicer than, "Let's only let in white Christians." Though that's the meaning.

In Trump's Immigration Remarks, Echoes of a Century-Old Racial ...

Dean Shomshak

I found this and loved it immediately.

There's absolutely no evidence out there that Trump colluded with the Russians except the Manafort thing, and the Flynn thing, and the Roger Stone thing, and the Cohen thing, and the Kushner thing, and the Carter Page thing, and the Jeff Sessions things, and the Wilbur Ross thing, and the JD Gordon thing, and the Erik Prince thing, and the James Comey firing thing, and the Russian hacking/Wikileaks thing, and the bro-love between TrumPutin thing, and the Russian propaganda machine favoring Trump thing, and the DJT "I have zero ties to Russia!" thing, and the Eric Trump "we get most of our financing from Russian banks thing", and the Donald Trump Jr. "Our portfolio is made up of a disproportionate amount of Russian money" thing, and the DJT "I sold a $60 million mansion to a Russian oligarch known for money laundering for $120 million that he never once lived in " thing, and the Trump business ties with Putin's favorite sports athlete Fedor Emilianenko thing, and the Trump International Corporation's mysterios private server connection to Alfa Bank, Russia's largest commercial bank thing, and the Special prosecutor being named thing, and the I won't release my tax returns thing, and the Ivanka Trump's vacationing with Putin's girlfriend thing, and the 2013 Miss Universe Pageant in Moscow thing, and the Trump companies business ties to Felix Sater, a criminal felon indicted for stock fraud scheme with the Russian mafia thing, and the FL Group Icelandic hedge fund with massive ties to Putin being heavily invested in Trump Soho thing, and the Rex Tillerson/Exxon ties to Russia thing, and the Russian ambassador at Trump Tower sneaking in and out thing, and the Trump tried to roll back Russian sanctions the minute he got elected thing.

Other than that, there's absolutely no reason to suspect anything.

13 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Lots of swearing (it is Cracked) but an insightful piece.

Be Warned: Your Own Trump is Coming

Funny thing:

Those are all part of the reason we are against Trump already!

This is the can of worms the Republicans openend by making their Presedential Candidate Donald Trump. And I will continue to blame them for it.

57 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Funny thing:

Those are all part of the reason we are against Trump already!

This is the can of worms the Republicans openend by making their Presedential Candidate Donald Trump. And I will continue to blame them for it.

I'd suggest reading the article again. Hint: It's not really about Trump.

4 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Yes. It is about how there will be a Democract Trump next. That mere possibility is one big reason we are against Trump to begin with.

So big surprise, I guess?

Heck, I am pretty sure Trevor Noah made this exact argument at the beginning of the last year, regarding Trumps persistent lies.