Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

He probably hasn't been given an official diagnosis. Until someone has official paperwork indicating that they have a problem, there's nothing to be done about it legally. For example, when I was in the Navy, we Nukes were strongly discouraged from seeking help for mental health issues. You see, a sailor with crippling depression and suicidal impulses but no diagnosis is clean on paper and can be assigned to stand a watch; a sailor who's seen a doctor and is getting help, including therapy and medication, is officially mentally unstable and can't be trusted to fill a slot in the watch rotation, leaving more work for his colleagues. That's how we handle mental health here in the US, and that's why people don't seek or receive the help they need.

He did claim to be on medication. But a mere doctor's diagnosis doesn't bar you from buying a firearm.

And now for information I'm sure Old Man and Zeropoint already know but I'm going to post for the sake of discussion:

From here:

Federal law establishes the baseline regarding the types of persons who are ineligible to purchase firearms. The federal Gun Control Act of 1968, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922, generally prohibits the sale of firearms to any person who:

<snips other bullet points>

Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution;

That bullet point has a long footnote:

Regulations issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) define “[a]djudicated as a mental defective” to include persons who have been determined to be a danger to themselves or to others, or who lack the mental capacity to contract or manage their own affairs. 27 C.F.R. § 478.11. The regulations further define “[a]djudicated as a mental defective” to include those persons found insane by a court in a criminal case, those persons found incompetent to stand trial, and those persons found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility pursuant to articles 50a and 72b of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, 10 U.S.C. §§ 850a, 876b. Id. ATF regulations define “[c]ommitted to a mental institution” to mean involuntary commitment. 27 C.F.R. § 478.11. The Obama administration has begun the process to update these regulations. See Amended Definition of “Adjudicated as a Mental Defective” and “Committed to a Mental Institution”, 79 Fed. Reg. 774 (proposed January 7, 2014) (to be codified at 27 C.F.R. § 478.11). ⤴︎

I'm not going to vouch for the random site I found that on being 100% accurate and/or up to date, but that's the gist of it.

Thanks for the hard info, Pattern Ghost. It's important to note that not all forms of mental illness make a person dangerous. In fact, MOST forms of mental illness are more likely to make a person a victim of violence than a perpetrator of it, broadly speaking. Looking at you, Portland.

16 minutes ago, Zeropoint said:

Thanks for the hard info, Pattern Ghost. It's important to note that not all forms of mental illness make a person dangerous. In fact, MOST forms of mental illness are more likely to make a person a victim of violence than a perpetrator of it, broadly speaking. Looking at you, Portland.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneEqualsViolent

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Just a personal note—guys, I’m having a really hard time with the kidnapping of immigrant children by ICE. The stories I’m reading are horrific. Seriously, I can barely concentrate at work. I have never been more ashamed to be an American. I thought we were better than this, but I was wrong. 

I'm scared at how some of my fellow Americans are reacting; they're treating illegal immigrants as if they are somewhere between "cockroach" and "bag of excrement".

18 hours ago, Cygnia said:

And at the end of that article, the disturbing reminder... "The U.N. human rights chief, Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, criticized the policy on Monday as “unconscionable” and compared it to child abuse. It was the latest point of tension surrounding the U.S. threat to withdraw from the Human Rights Council. "

Withdrawing from human rights. Pretty much the mantra of this administration.

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

Just a personal note—guys, I’m having a really hard time with the kidnapping of immigrant children by ICE. The stories I’m reading are horrific. Seriously, I can barely concentrate at work. I have never been more ashamed to be an American. I thought we were better than this, but I was wrong. 

I have seriously thought of flipping my avatar upside down, because I fear our nation is very much in distress on a very spiritual level :(

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

I have seriously thought of flipping my avatar upside down, because I fear our nation is very much in distress on a very spiritual level :(

Hermit, your avatar of Cap during World War Two is a reminder of a time when the US was the Hope of the World. 

Now is a time when we need Captain America more than ever.

2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

This move fits with the overall pattern for this administration: withdrawal from multilateral agreements and diplomatic bodies; unabashed partisan support for Israel; and strong-arm bullying tactics with erstwhile allies and partners. If the Trump administration can't get what it wants, it calls what it wants sour grapes. If it doesn't get its way, it takes its toys and goes home.

That is a radical departure from decades of American foreign policy. It's a disruption of a world order that the United States had the biggest hand in shaping. I don't think President Trump has a clear vision of where he wants to go, though. I think he's making it up as he goes, "going with his gut" as he likes to say.

If his gut is steering his decisions, I wish he'd eat less burgers and fries.