Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

14 hours ago, csyphrett said:

Mike Cernovich, Author of pizzagate, blasts Disney's Twitter until they fire James Gunn for bad jokes he made ten years ago. Online petition has reached almost a hundred k to have him hired back.

CES 

Honestly, I'm surprised DC/WB isn't considering offering him... oh, any available property he would like to try.

2 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

In private, Trump vents frustration over lack of progress on North Korea

“Trump has been hit with a strong dose of reality of North Korea’s negotiating style, which is always hard for Americans to ­understand,” said Duyeon Kim, a Korea expert at the Center for a New American Security.

Has Trump had ANY successes at International Affairs? I'm trying not to let my scorn for the man blind me, but I don't see it. He has  offended our best allies, fractured organizations that help protect the free world,  affixed himself to Putin's tuckus via lips ignoring Russian cyberattacks that are this close to a cause for war, destroyed an Iranian deal that did like it might work while getting yanked around on a North Korea talk. He seems ready to throw a baby fit Mexico won't pay for a wall, and if we had any good will in Central America his separation of family units has dumped all over that. 

Has he had ANY successes at International affairs, barring tawdry bedroom jokes?

I actually give him some props for talking to North Korea, because I do not see "speaking with the President" as a reward. Now that he has done it, more competent presidents may be willing to do so in the future.

At the same time . . .

Oh no please no anything but that no.

As it is we have Iran and Israel striking at each other through the medium of Syria, and Syria only became the problem it is because of our war with Iraq. So the best case scenario is that we go to war with Iran and leave it a destabilized region where groups like ISIS can flourish, and the worst case scenario is we find out how good Russia's "invincible" ICBM really is!

I voted for Hillary, even though she was a hawk. I held on to some hope that Trump would at least be a military isolationist. Just a little hope. I feel out of my head right now.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:26 PM, Starlord said:

I had to laugh at Trump's tweet quoted in the article:

Inconceivable that the government would break into a lawyer’s office (early in the morning) - almost unheard of. Even more inconceivable that a lawyer would tape a client - totally unheard of & perhaps illegal. The good news is that your favorite President did nothing wrong!

Well, it's certainly nice of him to admit that Obama did nothing wrong! 

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

I actually give him some props for talking to North Korea, because I do not see "speaking with the President" as a reward. Now that he has done it, more competent presidents may be willing to do so in the future.

A lot of people do see it as a reward. After decades of diplomatic isolation, the current ruling Kim got a face-to-face meeting with the leader of the most powerful nation in the free world. This grants him the aura of legitimacy, and raises his prestige as an equal among world leaders, with his own people even if nowhere else. He also got Trump to cancel joint military exercises with South Korea, which the North has always viewed as a provocation. In return Kim only had to give vague non-binding promises of future cooperation, which North Korea is already ignoring or backtracking on.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Has Trump had ANY successes at International Affairs? I'm trying not to let my scorn for the man blind me, but I don't see it. He has  offended our best allies, fractured organizations that help protect the free world,  affixed himself to Putin's tuckus via lips ignoring Russian cyberattacks that are this close to a cause for war, destroyed an Iranian deal that did like it might work while getting yanked around on a North Korea talk. He seems ready to throw a baby fit Mexico won't pay for a wall, and if we had any good will in Central America his separation of family units has dumped all over that. 

Has he had ANY successes at International affairs, barring tawdry bedroom jokes?

To me it's clear the Donald is out of his depth in international affairs. He has no experience in this field other than in narrow licensing and real-estate deals. He's ignorant of the applicable history and issues, but because he thinks he knows everything he needs to, he won't listen to his aids with actual expertise. Another President would learn from his mistakes, but Trump won't because he refuses to admit he makes any.

I've got a serious question:

With the big stink about revoking security clearances to former Intel officials.

Why do they still have them in the first place?  I would think that would be the first thing that goes once the job does.  Could someone who knows more about this type of thing tell me?

18 hours ago, Hermit said:

I think that Trump's affairs have all been with Americans, but his wife is foreign born.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:12 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

The deal lifted crippling economic sanctions ... in exchange for very weak limits on the regime's nuclear activity, and no limits at all on its other malign behavior...

In other words, at the point when the United States had maximum leverage, this disastrous deal gave this regime -- and it's a regime of great terror -- many billions of dollars, some of it in actual cash -- a great embarrassment to me as a citizen and to all citizens of the United States.

The fact is this was a horrible, one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made. It didn’t bring calm, it didn’t bring peace, and it never will.

Making matters worse, the deal’s inspection provisions lack adequate mechanisms to prevent, detect, and punish cheating, and don't even have the unqualified right to inspect many important locations, including military facilities.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:12 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

I expect these snippets from Trump's comments on the Iran nuclear deal could be used word-for-word a few years from now.  Hopefully by another speaker, however.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Yeah, well for all of Trump's talk about Obama's Iran deal.  With North Korea, he seems determined to fall in the same trap.

Yep, effectively what I said (above) a month ago. 

6 hours ago, Badger said:

I've got a serious question:

With the big stink about revoking security clearances to former Intel officials.

Why do they still have them in the first place?  I would think that would be the first thing that goes once the job does.  Could someone who knows more about this type of thing tell me?

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

A clearance doesn't mean you get daily briefings or otherwise have access to classified information.  It would only matter if they went back to work in the government somewhere where they had need to know.  In other words, it's just another distraction.

In addition, former intel officials may be called back to consult, or to report to Congress on something they were part of, and may need those clearances to do so.  And it's better to keep the clearance in place than to go through the lengthy process of re-vetting the person (especially if the need to bring the former official back in is time-sensitive).

Soooo...  when I heard about Trump inviting Putin to the White House, the image in my head was of Vlad and Donnie having a sleepover, doing each other's nails, having a pillow fight, and making "BFF' bracelets for each other.  Prank call the more popular world leaders.  Probably snuggle together under a blanket while they watch a horror movie.

Trump is desperately seeking to frighten his supporters to get out and vote to stop a Democratic takeover of Congress, which would cripple and maybe even bring down his presidency. The idea that the Russian government would act to help the Democrats defies all logic. Trump has divided the American populace and fractured NATO and other American alliances -- something Vladimir Putin has long aspired to. He has no incentive to try to change regimes, and every reason to continue to covertly support Trump and his Republican... I'll say "allies," because the words I want to use could get me banned.

But many Trump supporters seem to buy every word that comes out of his mouth, so we'll have to wait and see.