Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

9 hours ago, Badger said:

Even if I had no other reason, I am leery of him winning that.  I fear, it'll give every clubhouse cancer who gets cut when their conduct finally becomes too much, the go ahead to sue their league.

On the other hand, if he can prove that the League got together to blacklist him then the league should not be doing that. I think somebody said he was the third best quarterback in stats out of everybody playing. It's either about his conduct, or his playing ability. The league said it wasn't about his conduct, but it was about his playing ability. In my opinion they should have just come out and said they didn't want him protesting policemen shooting unarmed civilians and stuck to their guns.

CES 

Chuck Grassley's explanation for why the Senate can't have the FBI go investigate her claim before voting to confirm Kavanaugh.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/grassley-explains-the-fbi-cant-investigate-claim-in-letter-to-kavanaugh-accusers-attorney/

Essentially, the FBI doesn't answer to the Senate, so the Senate can't have the FBI go do anything. It isn't the FBI's job to validate nominees, just the Senate. Of course, if there is no investigation, we are left with he-said-she-said. 

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

The answer to Lucius's question is Ron Jeremy

What question?

2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Chuck Grassley's explanation for why the Senate can't have the FBI go investigate her claim before voting to confirm Kavanaugh.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/grassley-explains-the-fbi-cant-investigate-claim-in-letter-to-kavanaugh-accusers-attorney/

Essentially, the FBI doesn't answer to the Senate, so the Senate can't have the FBI go do anything. It isn't the FBI's job to validate nominees, just the Senate. Of course, if there is no investigation, we are left with he-said-she-said. 

I thought I read that there was a witness, someone else who was in the room at the time?

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary wasn't there and doesn't know Mr. Jeremy either

4 hours ago, Sociotard said:

So who's responsible for all the investigations of Hillary Clinton's old emails?

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

The FBI, but not at the whim of the legislature. 

And the FBI may yet investigate the Kavanaugh assault claim, but not at the whim of the Senate. 

5 hours ago, Sociotard said:

This is BS.  Yes, the Senate can't "order" the FBI to investigate on their behalf, but they can request such an investigation and in the normal course of events such a request would be granted,  Chuck Grassley isn't requesting because he doesn't want the investigations.

We'd be left with 2 "too drunk to remember"s  and 1 "remembers, but with so few details it is difficult to corroborate"

I absolutely accept that the lack of detail is partly due to the trauma of the event, and I empathize with any woman who is reluctant to put those details forward, but that still leaves us with a weak case.

The only advantage she (and Kavanaugh's political opponents) have is that this isn't a criminal case, and they don't need "Beyond Reasonable Doubt". They just need "Substantial Evidence" or maybe "Preponderance of the Evidence"

I'm just not sure they have that.

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

The Maryland PD could also investigate, fwiw.

Honestly, it would be an odd thing for the FBI to investigate because the allegation, even if true, isn't a federal crime.

The way that the FBI would get involved in a local crime is normally that the local law enforcement agency cannot conduct an effective investigation because much of the investigation would need to happen in another state or internationally. In those cases, local law enforcement would have to invite the FBI to join in or take over the investigation.

There's no inability of local law enforcement to conduct an investigation and there's been no invitation from local law enforcement for the FBI to come in and take over an investigation.

7 hours ago, Sociotard said:

We'd be left with 2 "too drunk to remember"s  and 1 "remembers, but with so few details it is difficult to corroborate"

I absolutely accept that the lack of detail is partly due to the trauma of the event, and I empathize with any woman who is reluctant to put those details forward, but that still leaves us with a weak case.

The only advantage she (and Kavanaugh's political opponents) have is that this isn't a criminal case, and they don't need "Beyond Reasonable Doubt". They just need "Substantial Evidence" or maybe "Preponderance of the Evidence"

I'm just not sure they have that.

They don't even need that much.

"It's possible that the guy might be a slimeball" is the level of 'evidence' they need in order to convince Senators to not put their career on the line to vote someone in who might later turn out to be a slimeball if they think there's a real chance he might be guilty.

Honestly, as rancorous as partisan politics has become in this country. I'm pleasantly surprised that there aren't false accusations made against every person who is nominated for any post (regardless of which party is in power at any point in time).

It seems like such an easy way to smear someone. Nobody has an iron-clad alibi for some random day 40 years ago when they were a teenager. Most of the adults from back then are dead, many of the rest don't have a functioning memory.

1 hour ago, archer said:

Elon Musk commits to sending Japanese billionaire on a trip around the moon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45550755

Is there no national pride left in the good ole USA? Why are we not sending an American billionaire to the moon?

The president comes to mind as an ideal candidate.

Do we have to bring him back?

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, csyphrett said:

On the other hand, if he can prove that the League got together to blacklist him then the league should not be doing that. I think somebody said he was the third best quarterback in stats out of everybody playing. It's either about his conduct, or his playing ability. The league said it wasn't about his conduct, but it was about his playing ability. In my opinion they should have just come out and said they didn't want him protesting policemen shooting unarmed civilians and stuck to their guns.

CES 

Well, I don't know how they get 3rd best in the league.  His last season had pretty solid stats, albeit the 49ers were pretty much Browns-lite that year, so it is hard to separate garbage time and all.  He was low-end starter/high-end backup level.   Definitely better than a lot of QBs in the league (if he was a backup he probably would one of the 5 best backups in the league).  So,  yeah the protests is why he is out of the league.  But,  you could name dozens of good players in the league who are headaches for their teams, that if they were that low end starter/high end backup type of talent would probably be gone ASAP (or traded to the Raiders).  That is why I worry, I do think a team should be to sever relations from players who are more trouble than they are worth (pending how the contract rules in the league go)