Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

On 11/25/2018 at 3:26 AM, csyphrett said:

There has been some talk that this is a grandstand move with no real way to get voted on. It's hard to say how much traction this thing will actually get before it's struck if it ever even gets voted on.

It does show that some people will always want to tell others what to do even when it's none of their business.

CES  

It can be argued that Trump's presidential bid was nothing but grandstanding...at first.

Mind, I seriously doubt even the current Court would consider a requirement that a woman have a child is *remotely* Constitutional, but any move in this direction is something that needs to be quashed ASAP.

Well, we're seeing, as best I can recall, the first serious pushback against Trump, by the Republicans.  This is about the Khashoggi killing.  After a briefing to the Senate that didn't include any CIA representation, and only had Trumpian spin involved, the Senate moved to continue debate on a bill to stop military aid to the Saudis, by a 63-37 vote.  That means QUITE a few Republicans crossed over, including some very big names.  I'm hoping that this starts the ball rolling, to at least curb Trump's worst tendencies.  

15 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Well, we're seeing, as best I can recall, the first serious pushback against Trump, by the Republicans.  This is about the Khashoggi killing.  After a briefing to the Senate that didn't include any CIA representation, and only had Trumpian spin involved, the Senate moved to continue debate on a bill to stop military aid to the Saudis, by a 63-37 vote.  That means QUITE a few Republicans crossed over, including some very big names.  I'm hoping that this starts the ball rolling, to at least curb Trump's worst tendencies.  

Yeah, I won't count on it, but it was good to see not ALL standards are dead.

There seems to be some hope that Senator-elect Romney (R-UT) can pick up where the late Senator McCain left off in being The Guy for the GOP who's willing to call out the President on his crap when necessary.

I hope that ends up being the case. 

Either way, I'll confess that I'm not sad to see Senator Hatch gone. He should've left six years ago, maybe twelve.

5 minutes ago, Dr.Device said:

Oh, hey, look! It turns out there probably was some significant vote fraud this election. You'll never guess on the part of which party. 

It really sucks that once the dust settles, this will be used to "prove" that that there is a need for strict voter id laws, when no degree of strict voter id would have stopped this.

I wish I could disagree with  your second line there (Because the first surprises me not at all). 

I am actually okay with voter ID cards to a large part, but I believe if you make the mandatory., then you need to offer them up for FREE to every citizen legally able to vote and it shouldn't come from their own pockets. 

Somehow i doubt the GOP will go for that little budget cost.

He had the unenviable task of being the President to follow Ronald Reagan. How do you live up to a guy who was larger than life in that office?

GHWB was one of the last holdovers from a time when the other party was just The Other Party and not The Enemy. I fear we won't see that again in my lifetime.

Rest in Peace, Mr. President.

On paper, GHWB was one of the most qualified candidates for President to ever run for the office. Decorated combat officer. Successful oil tycoon. Congressman. Director of the CIA. Ambassador to the United Nations. Vice-President. It's hard to imagine a more impressive or relevant resume. Comparing that to the current office holder's is laughable.

GHWB knew how to make a campaign promise to get elected, and then how to break it in order to govern responsibly. "Read my lips: No new taxes!" But when it became fiscally desirable... he signed a bill into law that raised taxes. I am sure he paid for it politically, but I prefer it to the sort of Republican who thinks deficits are just dandy once they are the ones running them up.

He also did good as an ex-president. High point may have been his fundraising with Bill Clinton after the Dec. 26, 2005 earthquake and tsunami. As one pundit put it, in much of the world leaders cling to power no matter what. But here the world saw a leader who had the power to, no kidding, destroy the world if he didn't get his way, who gave up that power without a word of protest. And standing next to the man who beat him to take that world-ending power. Who then left office as gracefully, after seeing his anointed successor lose an election to the son of the man he defeated. Both of them saying, "Help these people, because it's the right thing to do." That, the pundit concluded, is moral authority with teeth.

Dean Shomshak

I liked GHWB and voted for him twice. As far as I can recall, he was the last Republican I voted for. Other than Clarence Thomas, I think his record is pretty darned good. Too bad Thomas will far outlive GHWB, and his decisions will far outlast just about anything else GHWB did.