Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

In the aftermath of the Gulf War, GHWB lifted the no-fly zone in Iraq just long enough for Saddam to send in helicopter to slaughter the civilian uprising in Baghdad which was threatening to topple him from power. As soon as the helicopters did their job, GHWB reinstated the no-fly zone.

So I'd rank GHWB somewhere below Nixon in my list of "best GOP presidents".

There is language in Michael Cohen’s plea deal that gives Mueller the right to describe Cohen’s (and his conspirators’) criminal activities at length and in detail during Cohen’s sentencing on December 12. If there was ever a day when C-SPAN was a must-watch, that might be it. 

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

There is language in Michael Cohen’s plea deal that gives Mueller the right to describe Cohen’s (and his conspirators’) criminal activities at length and in detail during Cohen’s sentencing on December 12. If there was ever a day when C-SPAN was a must-watch, that might be it. 

The cool thing about criminal sentencing court documents, is that they are public record.

I have read the theory advanced by some that, more so than any final report, Mueller will make the case against Trump via "speaking indictments" against other parties.  That is, detailed public criminal indictments against other parties, which typically refer to Trump as "Individual-1", will tend to incriminate Trump and implicate him in the charged conspiracy.  If there's an underlying crime or crimes to be covered up, then the obstruction of justice case against the President is likely to be overwhelming.

So.... on an amusing aside, I've been binge-watching episodes of Lois and Clark: The Adventures of SupermanI just watched the episode "Meet John Doe" where Tempus (evil supervillain from the future) uses subliminal control to get elected President.  During his acceptance speech, he says, "My greatest hope is that the former supporters of President Garner will join with me in making this country great again."

Makes me wonder where Trump gets his ideas.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:06 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I've heard several journalists muse that they might have gone overboard in trying to be "balanced" in their coverage of both candidates during the last presidential election. With all the things Trump had said and done constantly making the news, they felt pressure to keep returning to the Clinton email issue so they wouldn't be accused of biased reporting. But in doing so they might have created a false equivalency between that and Trump's antics in the minds of the electorate.

I'll bet that they weren't Fox News journalists you heard from !

I think scandal can destroy a candidacy;  re-election is easier than winning the first time.  The voters are less invested in you before you win.  It's also somewhat easier to lose in a primary as an incumbent, rather than lose in the general.

And avoid video!!!  If it's just talk, you'll survive a lot more often.  The greatest casualty of the Trump presidency has been Truth, but Truth with Pictures???  That's tougher to slough off.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

People are depressingly good at rationalizing the abandonment of their claimed beliefs.

I've heard a number of people who voted for Donald Trump claim that policy trumps (pardon me) a candidate's character. They don't seem to consider that character informs how, and even whether, a leader will follow through on a stated policy.

1 hour ago, Ranxerox said:

So is Giuliani trying to make lemonade, trading on his "I'm a security EXPERT!!!" to sell this, or is he just a complete, utter MORON?  Willful ignorance or malicious misrepresentation?  

Or both.  

I avoid Twitter almost 100%.  Not quite;  I sometimes like to make snarky comments during Poker After Dark streams. :)  But that's about it.  

So last Friday's development came not from Mueller, but from SDNY's sentencing recommendation for Cohen, and had little to do with Russia.  In it, it explains that Cohen paid off Stormy for the express purpose of influencing the campaign, using his own HELOC, and was reimbursed from campaign funds through a shell company, all with the direction, knowledge, and involvement of Individual 1.  This directly implicates Individual 1 in felony money laundering, fraud, and campaign finance violations, all of which are grounds for jail let alone mere impeachment.

Stay tuned for Manafort's sentencing hearing on Wednesday.