Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

Their identities are still ordinarily protected, especially when conducting foreign operations.

It's true that they don't usually get photographed, but if I don't think they'd let themselves be compromised. Trump isn't a professional, but there's zero chance anyone in their business would let him make that big of a gaff. Even as (and I gag as I type the phrase) Commander in Chief, their security concerns would override his stupidity.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

If the President is so dead set on building a wall that he'll shut the government down indefinitely to do it, I say we build him a wall. I have a small cask of Amontillado that I could contribute to the effort....

You who are rich and whose troubles are few
May come around to see my point of view
What price the Crown of a King on his throne
When you're chained in the dark all alone

They've been letting him make as big or bigger gaffes for two years now.  I mean, just on this visit, he posted pictures of active duty SEALs on Twitter, pissed off the Iraqi government, and lied to active duty servicemen about their own paychecks.  That was a Wednesday.  You couldn't make that many gaffes if you tried.

19 minutes ago, Old Man said:

They've been letting him make as big or bigger gaffes for two years now.  I mean, just on this visit, he posted pictures of active duty SEALs on Twitter, pissed off the Iraqi government, and lied to active duty servicemen about their own paychecks.  That was a Wednesday.  You couldn't make that many gaffes if you tried.

You have to know I specifically meant a SEAL unit wouldn't let him post (or take) pictures of team members if it would violate operational security. Nothing else you mentioned has anything to do with the matter. (Though I guess it's fair to point out how poor he is at his job.)

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

If the President is so dead set on building a wall that he'll shut the government down indefinitely to do it, I say we build him a wall. I have a small cask of Amontillado that I could contribute to the effort....

Pariah, I hope you don't mind, I had to share that line with some friends *chuckle* 

3 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

You have to know I specifically meant a SEAL unit wouldn't let him post (or take) pictures of team members if it would violate operational security. Nothing else you mentioned has anything to do with the matter. (Though I guess it's fair to point out how poor he is at his job.)

That isn't how it works.  The C-in-C wants to take a picture, you take the picture.  I don't see how any active duty servicemember could possibly tell him no.  The actual OPSEC is supposed to be enforced by the POTUS's staff; I wonder if it even occurred to them that he might be reckless and stupid enough to post it on the internet.

10 minutes ago, Old Man said:

That isn't how it works.  The C-in-C wants to take a picture, you take the picture.  I don't see how any active duty servicemember could possibly tell him no.  The actual OPSEC is supposed to be enforced by the POTUS's staff; I wonder if it even occurred to them that he might be reckless and stupid enough to post it on the internet. 

You think he just walked up to a group of SEALs in a spontaneous photo op? That this wasn't pre-arranged? Seriously? No, no SEAL unit is going to let the POTUS violate their OPSEC. This was arranged, and none of the higher ups would have sent men they didn't want to be photographed to the meeting.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I`d like to believe that; but if anyone has the clout, arrogance, and stupidity to pull such a bonehead move, it`s Trump.

I err on the side of trusting our special operations commanders. I was in DLI with a ton of these guys from officers to NCOs, and I trust their judgement. (Obviously not Trump's.)

Edit: I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility that you and Old Man are right. but I'm erring on the side of our SEALs until I hear something concrete about the unit being compromised.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I err on the side of trusting our special operations commanders. I was in DLI with a ton of these guys from officers to NCOs, and I trust their judgement. (Obviously not Trump's.)

Edit: I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility that you and Old Man are right. but I'm erring on the side of our SEALs until I hear something concrete about the unit being compromised.

I do appreciate the discretion over valor... especially given the news we've already had over Syria.  I'll take what good(?) news I can get.

A retired four star general takes issue with Trump's claim that Americans were "suckers" before he became president:

1. Former U.S. Commander: ISIS 'Is Not Defeated' : NPR

www.npr.org/2018/12/27/680559430/trumps-view-of-u-s...

General John R. Allen is with me now. He's a former commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan. He was also President Obama's special envoy to counter ISIS.

Romney now represents Utah in the Senate, and the majority of Utahans have made no secret of their dislike for Donald Trump. Romney has little to loose in opposing Trump, and potentially much to gain, not only in his state, but positioning himself as a leader of Republican opposition to Trump. I rather doubt he's looking at another Presidential run, but at least he could upgrade his historical legacy.

OTOH Mitt has displayed an exceptionally flexible spine, bending where the winds of advantage lead him. So we'll have to see if he stays consistent.

11 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Romney now represents Utah in the Senate, and the majority of Utahans have made no secret of their dislike for Donald Trump. Romney has little to loose in opposing Trump, and potentially much to gain, not only in his state, but positioning himself as a leader of Republican opposition to Trump. I rather doubt he's looking at another Presidential run, but at least he could upgrade his historical legacy.

OTOH Mitt has displayed an exceptionally flexible spine, bending where the winds of advantage lead him. So we'll have to see if he stays consistent.

That statement can be applied to almost every senior Republican Party office holder.  Evidence suggests he won't, but I can see another reason why he will be the goad...because that's how the winds are blowing.  Not for the majority of Republicans yet, but there's gonna be a growing necessity to lead the counter-revolution to curb Trump while still pushing a conservative agenda.  He can be the centerpiece of an Enough is Enough movement that won't pass what the Dems want all that much, but won't cave to His Orangeness.