Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/no-%e2%80%98g%e2%80%99day-mate%e2%80%99-on-call-with-australian-prime-minister-trump-badgers-and-brags/ar-AAmxKZx?li=AAggNb9

The Washington Post is citing "senior US officials" that Donald Trump had his most contentious telephone conversation yet with a head of state: Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull of Australia. Australia! :no:

I wasn't too worried at first. Then the Executive Orders started rolling out like being produced at a factory. Now I am concerned. I've always been leery of whoever is POTUS using executive powers to do an end run around Congress. That pretty much violates the intent of executive privilege and sets up bad precedent. Trump seems to think that being POTUS is equivalent to being a South American generalissimo. Congress needs to yank the short leash and soon.

So he didn't want to take the immigrants Obama had agreed to. That does sound like Trump.

Actually, I am confused by the terms of the deal.  The US was to take Indonesians who'd tried to immigrate illegally to Australia, and Australia would take in Central Americans. Okay, I get the concept of trading, but why would they want to trade?  Why wouldn't the US take the central americans and Australia take the Indonesians? (or was it Papua New Guineans? I forget)

I wasn't too worried at first. Then the Executive Orders started rolling out like being produced at a factory. Now I am concerned. I've always been leery of whoever is POTUS using executive powers to do an end run around Congress. That pretty much violates the intent of executive privilege and sets up bad precedent. Trump seems to think that being POTUS is equivalent to being a South American generalissimo. Congress needs to yank the short leash and soon.

To be fair, Obama started it. What worries me is the escalation.  Much like the use of the filibuster. Every time the Senate changed minorities, the new minority would use it more than the last, because "we remember how you used it against us".

So, the next Democratic president will use executive orders even more brazenly than Trump, just as Trump used them more than Obama. (though to be fair, Obama didn't start being so brazen until he faced an opposition congress, and Trump doesn't yet.)

Balance to restrain potential abuse of power is exactly what the American founding fathers set up the three branches of government for.

I suspect what Trump thinks he knows about the role of President, but really doesn't, would make a hefty list.

I don't know, but diplomacy 101 says not to wear your emotions on your sleeve during an initial discussion of a contentious issue.

Especially with someone who has long been a close ally.

Donald Trump has no experience with diplomacy, though. Business bargaining is not comparable, despite what he professes to believe.

To be fair, Obama started it.

Actually, George Washington started it, with 8 executive orders issued during his two terms.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federal_executive_orders

Biggest number of executive orders issued was (not surpisingly) FDR at 3,522, or 290.8 per year.  Obama clocked in at 276 EOs, versus 291 for George W. Bush and 364 for Bill Clinton.

I expect President "My Way or the Highway" Drumpf to challenge FDR's per-year record.

Why would they do that when so far he's been the hard right's wet dream come true?

This is true only for as long as Trump's interests and the hard Right's interests coincide.  With Trump, who knows how long this will last?

The first time Trump does something they don't like, the Tea Party faction of Congress will turn on him. It won't be pretty.

The thing is, the party leadership tried to turn on him already during the primary. Now he's so popular with the base that only the most well-established Republicans, ones confident they can trounce any primary challenge (McCain) will dare oppose him.

It's a damn shame they won't do what's right for the country (and their constituents), but instead do what's best for their political careers.

This is true only for as long as Trump's interests and the hard Right's interests coincide.  With Trump, who knows how long this will last?

I haven't seen any real disagreements yet. Even on abortion. It really looks like he's just signing whatever EOs the Heritage Foundation puts on his desk.

I think it's just going to be an accumulation of unpopular and controversial statements, actions and policies that galvanize the opposition and alienate his base bit by tiny bit. They will grow weary of defending him. The Dubya supporters were thoroughly burned out 6 years into his tenure. I think it won't take nearly that long with Trump.

Certainly, I tend to believe the Republic is strong enough to endure 4 years of horrifically bad leadership. Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last.

That isn't minimizing, things will occur to really upset me. Don't believe it's the end times yet. And mechanisms to challenge things I don't like remain, with varying likelihood of success, from legislative procedure (lesser) to judicial (greater).

Certainly, I tend to believe the Republic is strong enough to endure 4 years of horrifically bad leadership. Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last.

That isn't minimizing, things will occur to really upset me. Don't believe it's the end times yet. And mechanisms to challenge things I don't like remain, with varying likelihood of success, from legislative procedure (lesser) to judicial (greater).

I worry we are heading to a new world war... but... what you post is true. We've had sucky presidents before, even monstrous ones. And we have picked up after and gone again.