Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

In the name of free speech yet, if it's the same so and so I saw on Twitter.

As rephrased, if the protests continue, there'll be another tragic, horrible Kent State incident, and this will lead to an end to free speech due to people free-speeching getting shot. Which he condemns. Because it is bad and wrong, and he's sorry that his initial statement was susceptible to being misinterpreted as suggesting that  he's some kind of jackhole, which obviously he isn't, because who's ever heard of a Milo fan being mean on the Twitters?

It doesn't appear to have been mentioned here, and more stupid things have replaced it in the news.

Kellyanne Conway defended the immigration ban by citing the "Bowling Green Massacre", a terrorist attack in Kentucky that was covered up by the media.

“I bet it’s brand new information to people that President Obama had a six-month ban on the Iraqi refugee program after two Iraqis came here to this country, were radicalized, and they were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green Massacre,” Conway said on MSNBC on Thursday night. “I mean most people don’t know that because it didn’t get covered.”

It must have been pretty easy to cover up, since it never happened.  Two Iraqi refugees living in Bowling Green, Kentucky were arrested in 2009 for attempting to send money and supplies to insurgents in Iraq.  Apparently, that's a "massacre".  She later claimed that she misspoke and meant to say "terrorists" instead of "massacre", but that clearly makes no sense.

"...two Iraqis came here to this country, were radicalized, and they were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green (terrorists)."

Two terrorists were the masterminds behind the terrorists?

No surprise, she's now crying about people being so mean to her.

And the President went on vacation after two weeks on the job. Did I hear that right? 

I'm not sure how this works so I don't even know if that's unusual. 

There's a running joke I think of whenever the President goes abroad.

"I have good news and bad news. The good news is the President is going to England!"

"What's the bad news, then?"

"He's coming back!"

It comes to mind regardless of who the President is or whether I actually like him.

Presidents traditionally take a lot of vacation time. George W. Bush took a lot of breaks. Barack Obama's Hawaii trips drew a lot of Republican ire. The thing is he doesn't just stop being President when he travels or goes home for the holidays. He still needs to be reachable 24/7, still has to keep the nuclear football in easy reach, and is still surrounded by some of the tightest personal security on Earth. You can never really relax until the next guy takes over. (Barack Obama is probably wondering what he's going to do with himself and all this new free time.)

In some countries, going abroad on state business is hazardous for heads of state and government. Being out of the country gives your enemies an opportunity to plot against you, or to put plots against you into action. IIRC, Mikhail Gorbachev was on vacation in 1989 when the die-hards of the Communist Party staged the failed coup that led directly to the utter collapse of the Soviet Union. Perhaps because he remembers this, Vladimir Putin apparently rarely if ever leaves Moscow.

While I object to some of Mike Pence's political and social positions, I have to admire the consistent slickness with which he spins his President's utterances in followup public interviews, to make them seem almost palatable. The contrast in style between Donald Trump and this career politician is stunning.

Something tells me this may turn out to be the Vice-President's most frequent contribution to the Trump administration.