Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

"It's far worse than what has already been reported."

Code-word level intelligence is SAP (Special Access Program) intel that is referred to only by cryptic code names. Have Blue, for example, was the unacknowledged SAP for the F-117 stealth fighter. That is the level of intel that Trump just blabbed to the Russian foreign minister in the Oval Office. Not all such programs are "black" programs, but black programs are TS-SAP.

And it was Intel provided by a foreign ally, without permission for it to be shared with the Russians, who have been known to consort with jihadis when it suits their interests.

How did Seth Rich die?

He was shot. But his family is righteously pissed about the disinformation Fox news is putting out right now. Now, there are folks on the left on Twitter with out-there, thinly sourced stories about massive imminent indictments, including of Trump. But mainstream media aren't carrying those stories, because they have some journalistic integrity. Fox should take their cue from them.

"I hope you can let this go."

edit: Not only did he tell Comey to drop the Flynn investigation, he also told him to throw reporters in jail.  What's it going to take?  Anyone?

For a good 25% to a 1/3rd of the country, it'll never be enough. They're convinced it's all fake news. Anything you say against Trump, even if its stuff trump said himself, is part of a grand conspiracy to bring Trump down and baseless.

For another 25%, it won't be enough because they're relying on the new status quo and afraid of backlash or losing power.

And yet another 30% cant motivate themselves.

I don't really trust this source (I always double check Pajiba, and this story isn't confirmed yet) but apparently some members of the GOP are showing signs of turning against Trump. This might actually be the beginning of the end for him.

If Jason Chaffetz has finally managed to grow a pair and start doing his job, it could happen, am I right?

http://www.pajiba.com/politics/james-comey-set-to-destroy-two-presidencies-.php

If Jason Chaffetz has finally managed to grow a pair and start doing his job, it could happen, am I right?

As someone who lives in Representative Chaffetz's state (although not his district, thank Heaven) I have to say that's a remarkably big "If". He's practically the poster boy for lock-step Republicanism, and as far as I can tell, has never had an original thought in his entire tenure in the House.

Well, never was a big fan of Trump. I had some glimmer of hope that his economic policy (or whatever passes for his economic policy) might stimulate something in a sluggish economy but I fear that he is his (and evidently our) own worst enemy. I want to buy into the whole idea that this is all media smoke and mirrors but common sense tells me that where there is this much smoke, there is something burning.

Are Congressional leaders willing to extricate Mr. Trump from his position, as President, now becomes the key question. I would say that they are not. Not yet. The Republican majority is going to hem and haw over the right action to take and end up losing the mid-term election. Not all of them, but I see a shift in power from a Republican led Congress to a Democrat one. THEN, we might well see some sort of action taken to remove Trump. Then we will get to see Mr. Pence take over and I always get this whole "Dark Lord of the Sith" vibe from him. Better than Jar Jar Binks I guess.

The rumor is JC will be running for gov of Utah. Good luck there, brother

CES 

The original rumor was that he was going to try to unseat Orrin Hatch in the Senate (which somebody desperately needs to do). But that has since been replaced with the idea that he would run for Governor. 

I'm not sure which prospect I find more frightening.

Actually, that's not true. Our current Governor, while a solid Republican, is also a moderate and a pragmatist. He's stood up to the Right-wing hard-liners on more than one occasion. I think he's done a good job. The idea of him being replaced a Tea Party ideologue like Chaffetz is unpleasant at best. 

The rumor is JC will be running for gov of Utah. Good luck there, brother

CES 

Yes, finally Jesus Christ is on a ticket himself! Lord knows folks have been claiming him falsely as a sponsor for decades! Maybe now he'll be able to clear the record once and for all....poor guy. 

I worry he's a bit too nice for a government position,and there's that whole separation of church and state thing.

On the other hand , set him loose on wall street and I would be a happy guy! Since 2008, certain money lenders need chased around a bit!

Darn, the mormons have a chance to vote on him... this is a real coup for them denomination wise. The baptists must be envious as heck.

........ What? 

The original rumor was that he was going to try to unseat Orrin Hatch in the Senate (which somebody desperately needs to do). But that has since been replaced with the idea that he would run for Governor. 

I'm not sure which prospect I find more frightening.

Actually, that's not true. Our current Governor, while a solid Republican, is also a moderate and a pragmatist. He's stood up to the Right-wing hard-liners on more than one occasion. I think he's done a good job. The idea of him being replaced a Tea Party ideologue like Chaffetz is unpleasant at best. 

Well there you go. Everything he does will be calculated on that basis.

Now, at what point does doing a massive reversal and going after Trump actually help his election bid? That's when he flips.

Either he's testing the waters or he actually thinks it's almost time.