Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Yeah, that's true. But with the duration on these things we are likely looking at 2019. So one year lame duck?

Actually, this is the one thing that might push thr Republicans to move more quickly.

IF, and I can't emphasize IF enough, Trump's scandals grow big enough to threaten Pence by extension, and IF the Republicans have sufficient fear of losing the House in 2018 they'll want to move fast enough to put Ryan in the Presidency.

Yes, that scenario is DEEP into fantasy territory.

But given the drug-addled fever dream quality of this administration's perpetual scandals, why not throw in some really crazy twists?

You just have to reach harder to out-crazy the reality in play and the odds aren't probably much off from my winning the lottery.

Pence may be a rat, but he hasn't been implicated in this affair, at least not yet. It would be difficult to make an impeachment case against him.

We are already on the verge of a constitutional crisis. And Trump seems to believe he is the "essential man", so he's going to continue to defend his position to the bitter end (unless he succumbs to boredom).

All things considered, I'd consider Paul Ryan to be less undesirable than either Trump or Pence (or Hatch, for that matter).

I know, not setting the bar real high, but still.

If Trump was out of the picture, I'm not sure if I'd want Pence to be removed as well.

Choosing Pence or Ryan sounds like a bad joke, right up there with "Death or Unga-Bunga?"

So, the President is on his way to Saudi Arabia.

Once he gets there, can the Travel BanTM be interpreted in such a way as to prevent him from re-entering the country?

Just askin'.   :whistle:

I hope they confiscate his phone for the duration.

There are so many potential catastrophes with this trip that I don't even want to think about them -- or their consequences.

I'm sure that between the Saudi authorities and the American Secret Service, security will be very tight. But I don't think the Saudi security apparatus has ever been tested this way before. If something goes wrong, it could lead to chaos.

I hope they confiscate his phone for the duration.

It would reduce the odds of something going spectacularly wrong at least a little.

That and cancel Trump's scheduled speech on Islam while in Saudi Arabia...

(That'd be a tricky speech for any President, this one has a habit of going totally off script...)

Stuff at home continues, while Trump is overseas:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-asked-intelligence-chiefs-to-push-back-against-fbi-collusion-probe-after-comey-revealed-its-existence/2017/05/22/394933bc-3f10-11e7-9869-bac8b446820a_story.html?utm_term=.5a002c078e30

This collusion thing won't go away, as much as he assures us that there's nothing to it, and fake news, and all...

I saw an interesting proposal: Democrats in the houses of Congress should draw straws to kiss Trumps butt. The guy has a weakness for praise.  Force one or two Democrats to praise him for just the right things, and they could steer him to better policy.

Like this one: Trumps maternity leave proposal.  From what I can read, it looks like the Democrats are opposing it because they oppose Trump in all things, with a thin pretense of opposing it because it doesn't go far enough.  *grumble*grumble*. I don't like Trump either, but even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.

That's not a bad idea in principle but the Dems who draw those straws are going to be unemployed as soon as their terms are up.  I live in the bluest of deep blue states, practically ultraviolet, but one of our reps actually met with Trump (and Assad) and she is now a lame duck.  That's how toxic Trump is.

That's not a bad idea in principle but the Dems who draw those straws are going to be unemployed as soon as their terms are up.  I live in the bluest of deep blue states, practically ultraviolet, but one of our reps actually met with Trump (and Assad) and she is now a lame duck.  That's how toxic Trump is.

I kinda suspect that meeting with Assad (and being unnecessarily skeptical about the chemical attack) hurt her more than meeting with Trump.

The article says the family leave plan is part of the budget proposal. Maybe the Dems would support it if it were it's own thing. They probably oppose the rest of the budget plan, so the baby gets tossed out with the bath water.

You did that on purpose, didn't you?

I remember a president waaay back in the early nineties that got into a lot of trouble for making us read his lips while he lied.  And there was another one a few years later that almost lost his job for lying about fellatio.  After that America stopped caring.