Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Most of the assassins or attempted assassins in the US so far have been nut cases rather than purely politically motivated. Booth might be the only real exception.

Johnny Booth was a headstrong fellow
Even he believed the things he said
Some called him noble, some said yellow
What he was was off his head

How could you do it, Johnny
Calling it a cause?
You left a legacy
Of butchery and treason we
Took eagerly
And thought you'd get applause

But traitors just get jeers and boos
Not visits to their graves
While Lincoln, who got mixed reviews
Beacause of you, John, now gets only raves

I've never thought 43 was a good president(not a bad person, just unqualified for the office). But his speech shows that he was morally fit for it and further crystallizes my opinion of Trump. 

Trump is a disgrace to our country and dangerous to our future. I never thought the day would come when a sitting president would lead attacks on freedom of expression and freedom of the press. Sadly. I expect things to get worse before they get better. My only hope is that a Russian smoking gun is found so he and his cronies can be sent to prison for the rest of their lives.

I was hoping for a solution prior to the 2020 election.

My mother has taken a hard line and cannot understand why no-one has tried to assassinate him.

You may want to ease your mother into the fact that incumbent presidents almost always win reelection.  Oh, I think his party might do badly in the midterms. The US seems to have a preference for divided government, in that the presidents party often takes a beating in midterm elections.

Barring a big ol' recession, I don't see him losing in 2020 though. And, apologies to your mother, I can't bring myself to hope for that.  I mean, given the cycle of things, we're kind of due on, but I still won't hope for one.

You may want to ease your mother into the fact that incumbent presidents almost always win reelection.  Oh, I think his party might do badly in the midterms. The US seems to have a preference for divided government, in that the presidents party often takes a beating in midterm elections.

Barring a big ol' recession, I don't see him losing in 2020 though. And, apologies to your mother, I can't bring myself to hope for that.  I mean, given the cycle of things, we're kind of due on, but I still won't hope for one.

In an established democratic republic, advocating assassination as a legitimate route to regime change sets the worst possible precedent. Someone is going to be President after Trump.

Certainly the other party isn't doing anything to actually win the election.  Instead they appear to be sitting back, hoping the other party's historically low approval ratings will given them control of the government by default.  Because that strategy worked so well last November.

Right now the Democrats have no one to be their standard-bearer, who can connect to the public with a rallying vision and message. That's why they practically begged Barack Obama to involve himself in campaigning again.

In an established democratic republic, advocating assassination as a legitimate route to regime change sets the worst possible precedent. Someone is going to be President after Trump.

Yes. Although that someone might be a glowing radioactive cockroach.

Right now the Democrats have no one to be their standard-bearer, who can connect to the public with a rallying vision and message. That's why they practically begged Barack Obama to involve himself in campaigning again.

It shouldn't be that hard. How are they going to adjust the platform? Will they counter voter suppression in Wisconsin? What are they going to do about foreign social media operations? How are they going to convince disaffected GOP voters to vote for them?

I really feel like the currently strategy is to sit back and hope for an impeachment, and hope is not a strategy.

Bush Snr lost and so did Carter. It may happen that he loses. And he deserves to.

Bush Snr lost and so did Carter. It may happen that he loses. And he deserves to.

The sooner the better. I hope a completely natural solution, tied to his advanced age but not life threatening, arises that calls for his resignation far before 2020. President Trump was not the champion many on the Right hoped he would be. He is a thug, a bully, and generally unsuited for the role that the Electoral College placed him into. I refuse to wish death upon him but I do want him out of the office of POTUS. Nature will take care of the other and not too far into the future. Not particularly of the religio-spiritual persuasion, but I believe that if there is a judgment on the other side, President Trump will not earn high marks for his behavior during his life. 

Personally i'd be happy if trump had a full blown major aneurism live on national TV while making another ranting tirade disgracing America. I've had his smug, arrogant, pompous, disgusting, revolting, sickening, hateful, fat, ugly orange face forced on me constantly for the last two years. I've lived in dread of what he will do to the country I can't afford to migrate from. I hate him and everything he represents.

It shouldn't be that hard. How are they going to adjust the platform? Will they counter voter suppression in Wisconsin? What are they going to do about foreign social media operations? How are they going to convince disaffected GOP voters to vote for them?

I really feel like the currently strategy is to sit back and hope for an impeachment, and hope is not a strategy.

I don't think any of that can withstand the media cycle Trump's inevitable tirade against their position will garner.

Mud slinging is the norm, sadly, but the last election has shown that the political satirists have called it: shouting louder is better than speaking better.  It's frightening how quickly terms like 'truthiness' or 'post-factual society' passed from satire to acceptance among far too many.

This is the man who largely won his nomination (not the presidency, despite what he claims - the Republicans were going to get it back anyways short of a miracle - and this election cycle proves it) by saying outrageous things about every other contender and then making sure he waited long enough for his wild rhetoric to take hold before posting anything that might be considered 'well, maybe that's not true'.

And he's still doing it.  And it's still working among his support base.  

Misinformation endures and quantity is better than quality.  That's what the Democrats and any Republicans running against him in 2020 have to overcome... without sinking to the same level (because the election showed that Trump's immune to attack ads.)

Certainly the other party isn't doing anything to actually win the election. Instead they appear to be sitting back, hoping the other party's historically low approval ratings will given them control of the government by default. Because that strategy worked so well last November.

This isn't actually true. When you're not the party in power, your news coverage shrinks about 95%. Currently the DNC is reorganizing and drafting a new party policy platform and strategy going forward. The actual elected officials are super busy playing defense, blocking various pernicious Republican policy initiatives and trying to support the ACA through a bipartisan bill on CSRs. Generally while in the minority, proposing legislation is mostly an exercise in optics and branding. We are more than a year away from the midterms, and longer than that from the start of the 2020 campaign.

As a historical comparison, the Contract With America was not released until 6 weeks before the 1994 elections.

That's how it's pronounced by English speakers, like how Paris is rendered "PAIR-iss" instead of the French, "Pah-REE." In French (the official language of the country), Niger is pronounced, "Nee-ZHER."

Okay if that's how the folks of the country prefer it called, then that's how I'll call it.

Just like I prefer America to "Murica" or "Bloody Yanks"

Thanks.