Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

45 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

I imagine that downs syndrome will be one of many defects to be corrected pre-birth as our understanding of human genetics continues to advance. You can add tay sachs, Jakob-Creutzfeldt and cystic fibrosis to the list as well.

Perhaps, but not soon.  Downs syndrome is an entire extra chromosome.  That is a lot harder to work around than a single bad gene.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Remember the GOP sees the debt increase as a feature, since it will serve as their justification for taking away all our Social Security money and Medicare.

I've heard that claim, but I've never seen it laid out by an actual Republican politician or think-tank. (Not that I've actually looked; I just don't recall seeing it in my regular news sources.) Does anyone have an actual GOP position paper or other reliable source that lays out this plan? It's plausible, but... I've seen too many conservative wackdoodles say what liberals/Democrats "really" want to accomplish.

Dean Shomshak

13 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

I've heard that claim, but I've never seen it laid out by an actual Republican politician or think-tank. (Not that I've actually looked; I just don't recall seeing it in my regular news sources.) Does anyone have an actual GOP position paper or other reliable source that lays out this plan? It's plausible, but... I've seen too many conservative wackdoodles say what liberals/Democrats "really" want to accomplish.

Dean Shomshak

Well, there's what Paul Ryan has laid out:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/01/gop-eyes-post-tax-cut-changes-to-welfare-medicare-and-social-security/?utm_term=.a80e803e00e3

It's also the model used in several states (Maine and Wisconsin comes to mind).

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

It's plausible, but... I've seen too many conservative wackdoodles say what liberals/Democrats "really" want to accomplish.

Simple question:

"Did they ever claim the Democrats would be doing it?" If yes, of course they are doing it next!

"Obamacare was negotiated behind closed doors with nobody even knowing what was in that bill".

How did Trumpcares creation look again? Was it everything they ever falsely claimed about Obamacare? Sure it was.

I am convinced the right only started using "snowflake" because they were planning to become whiny about everything. They simply used it first, because they hoped to "own" the term. As I saw through this, I started using it against them where appropirate.

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Has anyone else here received an official letter from "President Donald J.Trump" asking you how you feel about the government on any number of issues while also asking if you'd be interested in donating money to Republicans?

The Republicans stopped mailing me stuff like that after I kept on using their return envelopes to send back corrections about what they were claiming.

Interestingly, stuff that Danny Tarkanian's team and sends by email are automatically trapped in the mail provider's spam filter. Adam Laxalt's mailers got through a little longer, but they're being automatically blocked as well. 

On 12/17/2017 at 2:17 PM, Simon said:

Hey, TP...remind me:  have I mentioned cutting the histrionics?  I'm pretty sure I have.  Did I also mention familiarizing oneself with the rules of the thread?

I'm very sorry.  I was sticking mostly to security topics as a neutral input (the office of OPM and so on).  I was hoping to avoid to avoid 'picking sides' and bringing people to the understanding that corruption isn't a 'this or that side' manner.  I didn't mean to make it worse, or to be histrionic.  My apologies.

2 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I'm very sorry.  I was sticking mostly to security topics as a neutral input (the office of OPM and so on).  I was hoping to avoid to avoid 'picking sides' and bringing people to the understanding that corruption isn't a 'this or that side' manner.  I didn't mean to make it worse, or to be histrionic.  My apologies.

While I appreciate the apology and sentiment, I was actually referring to Tech priest support....

2 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I could be wrong, but I think Simon was talking to Tech Priest Support.

1 hour ago, TrickstaPriest said:

While there is corruption on both sides (both sides are only human after all), it appears the one on the Republican goes way deeper.

There are a few exceptions:

- the ones voting against the ACA repeal

- the ones voting against this taxcut for the rich+deficit act

- the ones that were against Roy Moore

But at large, it seems the Republican party is a hotbed of Racisms, Lies, doubletandarts and Corruption.

I would maybe not evne mind that much if they were trying to at least remotely execute it smartly. But instead they are going about this in a "insultingly stupid" way.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/20/house-republicans-quietly-investigate-doj-fbi-310121

As a historical matter, this is extraordinary: a secret working group in the House running interference for the President, working hard to undermine and discredit the Steele dossier, the FBI and the Mueller investigation, even though they are supposed to be conducting a national security investigation and performing oversight of the WH.