Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

The banks also wouldn't be encouraged by Trump's habit of bailing on bad deals and leaving his erstwhile business partners shouldering the debts. The Donald has been insulated from the worst consequences of his business blunders by his family's wealth and status, and the cleverness of his lawyers and accountants. I believe that's led him to view not personally suffering from losing, to be the same as winning. That's hardly an admirable attitude, but it is practical if your only priority is yourself and your family. But IMO that's a serious liability for him as a political leader: a President is responsible for all the people of his nation, and ultimately accountable to them.

Did anyone else catch Donnie T's comment during the State of the Union on the US military not being "undermined by artificial timelines" anymore? That was an obvious indication that our current troop deployment in the Middle East will continue to be an indefinite one (or endless one, depending on your level of optimism).

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I knew the responsible thing would be to watch it and try to understand what it means for the world; but honestly, I couldn't stomach listening to that much of that man's self-serving blather.

You didn't miss much. The majority of #45's speech basically consisted of him stroking the ego of the military and saying how awesome the United States is in the shallowest way possible. Basically, he was playing it safe by pandering to his base. Oh...well, I suppose he did throw in a few sentences about the epidemic of opioid abuse. It's a bit difficult to get away from that topic these days because it finally is affecting a significant number of white/Caucasian citizens in addition to minority citizens. Which, again, goes back to his base.

One more thing, and this is about style. At least Barack Obama could speak at a good tempo. At he wasn't completely boring. Trump's delivery was ponderous and his words (be they entirely scripted or improvised to some degree) were excessively elementary.

Not really political, but Congress is now literally a train wreck.

A train carrying members of Congress -- including House Speaker Paul Ryan -- to their legislative retreat in West Virginia hit a truck Wednesday, multiple sources told CNN, leaving at least one person dead.
Multiple sources said that all members of Congress on the train and their families were OK, with the exception of a few minor injuries. White House press secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed in a statement that there was at least one fatality from the collision, though it was unclear who that was.

Meanwhile, Trump asked for the power to purge the government of non-loyalists.

“Tonight,” he said, “I call on the congress to empower every Cabinet secretary with the authority to reward good workers—and to remove federal employees who undermine the public trust or fail the American people.”

Under Trump’s proposal, any Cabinet secretary could decide that, say, a law enforcement official investigating the president had “undermined the public trust” or “failed the American people”—and fire him on the spot. In other words, Trump is calling for an end to any semblance of independence for the IRS, the FBI, the Department of Justice, or any other federal agency.

38 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Maybe I'm just naive, but yeah, I'm surprised. By the blatancy of it more than anything else.

I have serious doubt that Trump understands the implications of what he's suggesting. I have little doubt that the people who crafted his speech understand the implications perfectly.

100% this. It's the broader implication of the statement coming from the elected representative of the American People. That's beyond offensive, beyond a mockery of the office...

It's a travashamockery.

#$&@ that guy. (Note, I adhered to the pinned guidelines)

I look forward to undermining and subverting every damn thing he stands for at a local level. Deep state powers activated.