Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That is, until you realize that fuel leaking from the boat is washing up on your shore.

Is that a nice way to speak about Americans fleeing to your border?

Even now, brave Left leaning sorts in paddle boats dare the waters of the Great Lakes by the score, with only healthy trail mix and their smart phones with them, clutching around the later for warmth, light, and old episodes of West Wing. They strike for the shores of Ontario screaming their new Loyalties in hopes they will be accepted.

"Tim Hortons FOREVER" one woman chants

But will the Canadians accept her? Or will she be be politely told her lack of hockey lore makes her unqualified for joining the great mosaic?

Perhaps the Canadians fear these would be immigrants can never truly integrate. Oh sure, they'll get jobs, learn the words to 'O, Canada' and so on...but in the American neighborhoods that form, will they be spotted breaking out Bud Lite and tuning into the NFL games down south in their old land? Who needs that sort of influence among the children?

I mean, Bud Freakin' Lite! Gah

;)

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Is that a nice way to speak about Americans fleeing to your border?

Actually, the fuel analogy was to the economic and political fallout from the "sinking." I hoped using that rather than referring to the boat's passengers would make that clear. I apologize if I misled you. :(

However,

Even now, brave Left leaning sorts in paddle boats dare the waters of the Great Lakes by the score, with only healthy trail mix and their smart phones with them, clutching around the later for warmth, light, and old episodes of West Wing. They strike for the shores of Ontario screaming their new Loyalties in hopes they will be accepted.

Canada is not unaccustomed to a mass influx from the South seeking refuge from conditions they consider unacceptable. Our population got a major boost after your declaration of independence, from those who wanted to remain subjects of England.  Probably the largest group of educated, motivated immigrants we ever received were the tens of thousands fleeing the military draft during the Vietnam War. Thank you very much. ;)

I can assure you, the immigrants we're likely to receive from the United States would be very welcome here. Please, though, try not to come all at once? There are ten times as many of you as there are of us --- we need time to clear some more land. :P

9 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Actually, the fuel analogy was to the economic and political fallout from the "sinking." I hoped using that rather than referring to the boat's passengers would make that clear. I apologize if I misled you. :(

However,

Canada is not unaccustomed to a mass influx from the South seeking refuge from conditions they consider unacceptable. Our population got a major boost after your declaration of independence, from those who wanted to remain subjects of England.  Probably the largest group of educated, motivated immigrants we ever received were the tens of thousands fleeing the military draft during the Vietnam War. Thank you very much. ;)

I can assure you, the immigrants we're likely to receive from the United States would be very welcome here. Please, though, try not to come all at once? There are ten times as many of you as there are of us --- we need time to clear some more land. :P

No need to apologize. I was just looking for a chance to be clever. My success ratio is slim so I need to take the shots when they come up just to up the probability :)

Truthfully, I'm hoping they have to stick around the US as Misery loves company and I can't afford to move at this stage in my life to another state , let alone emigrate to another country *G*

I do think there is some legtimate cause for Canada Envy right now. You guys have your own problems, but you seem to have most of your s**t together

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

"You know when then bad stuff starts?"

"Well, there are many factors..."

"When Religious people treat other people like things."

"I am sure there is more to it."

"Of course there is. But it all starts then!"

Granny Weatherwax, Diskworld Novels.

7 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Maybe it's not such a bad thing that climate change will drown and suffocate all the humans.

Those humans would survive, by stepping over the decent people corpses.

Also, to Quote Gandhi:

"Do not let the actions of a few source your perception of humanity. Humanity is a ocean. Just because a few drops are bad, does not mean the whole ocean is bad".

10 minutes ago, Old Man said:

You literally just told me that the few bad drops are going to kill off the rest of the drops.   :think:

No. I said if the Ocean would dry up, those drops would somehow manage to survive. And still be bad.

So do not ask for the Ocean to dry up/humanity be exterminated by global warming. You only hit the wrong ones.

7 hours ago, Christopher said:

"You know when then bad stuff starts?"

"Well, there are many factors..."

"When Religious people treat other people like things."

"I am sure there is more to it."

"Of course there is. But it all starts then!"

Granny Weatherwax, Diskworld Novels.

Preach it, brother. I loathe hypocrisy and loathing.

59 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

You know what, I'm going to make a pledge:

If Donald Trump 

1) Follows through with negotiations  (even if it doesn't result in NK giving up nukes; establishing dialogue suffices)

2) Does not attack NK, including a "bloody nose" strike.

3) Maintains the Iran deal

4) Doesn't let the Syrian civil war drag us into a new conflict with one of the participants (like Turkey or Russia)

5) Maintains relations with Cuba

6) Keeps his stupid trade war small

Bonus) Negotiates an end to the Yemeni conflict

I will vote for him in 2020. I will forgive his lies and sexual predation and killing Obamacare and the deficit-spiking tax cuts and I will vote for him.

10 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

You know what, I'm going to make a pledge:

If Donald Trump 

1) Follows through with negotiations  (even if it doesn't result in NK giving up nukes; establishing dialogue suffices)

3) Maintains the Iran deal

4) Doesn't let the Syrian civil war drag us into a new conflict with one of the participants (like Turkey or Russia)

5) Maintains relations with Cuba

6) Keeps his stupid trade war small

Bonus) Negotiates an end to the Yemeni conflict

I will vote for him in 2020. I will forgive his lies and sexual predation and killing Obamacare and the deficit-spiking tax cuts and I will vote for him.

11xlu3.jpg.15f6bf0bd2a8a8e7ed45b0d3bed476aa.jpg

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I am not sure what Kims Angle is here. His whole Family was kept in power by feeding the lie "America wants to wipe us out" to his people for decades.

Trump has been the first president in decades providing sound- and twitter cites to actually support this narrative.

In the whole Kim vs Trump twitter arguments, Kim was always the sane person for me. Because he knew what he needed to do to stay in power.

So this came as a bit of a surprise. But he is asking for Trump in person. Is he expecting a breakdown of Negotiations on live television?