Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

The deal lifted crippling economic sanctions ... in exchange for very weak limits on the regime's nuclear activity, and no limits at all on its other malign behavior...

In other words, at the point when the United States had maximum leverage, this disastrous deal gave this regime -- and it's a regime of great terror -- many billions of dollars, some of it in actual cash -- a great embarrassment to me as a citizen and to all citizens of the United States.

The fact is this was a horrible, one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made. It didn’t bring calm, it didn’t bring peace, and it never will.

Making matters worse, the deal’s inspection provisions lack adequate mechanisms to prevent, detect, and punish cheating, and don't even have the unqualified right to inspect many important locations, including military facilities.

I expect these snippets from Trump's comments on the Iran nuclear deal could be used word-for-word a few years from now.  Hopefully by another speaker, however.

Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future! - Donald J. Trump

So...we're all good now.  No worries.

Republicans Absorb New Lesson: Cross President Trump at Their Peril

This sounds to me unsettlingly like the progress of an authoritarian regime consolidating power. :fear:

And a stark reminder that it isn't laws or institutions that preserve and promote democracy; it's the people's faith in them and willingness to defend them.

I... truly do not know how to react to Old Man's post. Laugh, cry, or just confused?

But it was an incredibly successful summit for Trump, at least for what matters to him. He was, again, the center of world attention. He got to make nice with someone as autocratic as he clearly wants to be -- fie on the rules-based international order, telling him what he can an cannot do! And if Kim fulfills any promise or makes any concession, however tiny and strategically meaningless, Trump can point to it and bray, "Where's my Nobel Peace Prize?" Which he is not going to get, because a) he won't really have done anything to make the world more peaceful, and b) Europe's intelligentsia hates him. But that's part of the benefit! It's one more grievance he nurse, and his base with him.

Dean Shomshak

Why isn't the "Pro Life" (read: Anti Choice), "family values", "What about the children?" crowd screaming at the top of their lungs about the injustice meted upon the separated and corralled children of illegal immigrants? They should, in fact, scream so loudly that their larynges are torn to shreds from the sheer exertion.

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

I... truly do not know how to react to Old Man's post. Laugh, cry, or just confused?

But it was an incredibly successful summit for Trump, at least for what matters to him. He was, again, the center of world attention. He got to make nice with someone as autocratic as he clearly wants to be -- fie on the rules-based international order, telling him what he can an cannot do! And if Kim fulfills any promise or makes any concession, however tiny and strategically meaningless, Trump can point to it and bray, "Where's my Nobel Peace Prize?" Which he is not going to get, because a) he won't really have done anything to make the world more peaceful, and b) Europe's intelligentsia hates him. But that's part of the benefit! It's one more grievance he nurse, and his base with him.

Dean Shomshak

Abraham Lincoln had the right of it: "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power."

And you know, I almost feel sorry for Trump's base. Many of them will wake up one day to the realization of what they supported, and have to live with that.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

Why isn't the "Pro Life" (read: Anti Choice), "family values", "What about the children?" crowd screaming at the top of their lungs about the injustice meted upon the separated and corralled children of illegal immigrants? They should, in fact, scream so loudly that their larynges are torn to shreds from the sheer exertion.

Because they really don't care about life and families. It's a cover.

CES

10 hours ago, csyphrett said:

Because they really don't care about life and families. It's a cover.

CES

Well, non-white life and families.  Sarah Huckabee literally used the Bible to justify it yesterday.  So there are 1500 kids being stored in an old Wal-Mart with murals of Trump painted on the walls.  It's so horrifying I can barely stand to research the details.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Well, non-white life and families.  Sarah Huckabee literally used the Bible to justify it yesterday.  So there are 1500 kids being stored in an old Wal-Mart with murals of Trump painted on the walls.  It's so horrifying I can barely stand to research the details.

?  The brief blip that was non authoritarian rule...

16 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Just heard on All Things Considered that numerous religious groups are in fact objecting. That the US Conference of Catholic Bishops speaks in favor of refugees is perhaps not surprising, but even the Southern Baptists are objecting to Jeff Sessions quoting scripture to justify his policy. A fellow who was actually one of Trump's Evangelical advisors called it "grotesque." We can only hope that in backing Trump for the sake of appointing anti-abortion judges, they sold their souls to the Devil.

Dean Shomshak