Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I have a theory about why Donald Trump seems to cater to and fawn over Vladimir Putin, and Kim Jong-Un for that matter. He wants to be like them. He sees them doing what they choose with their countries, with no dispute allowed. He sees that they've made themselves synonymous with their countries -- you can't think of Russia today without Putin, or North Korea without Kim. Those two men have shaped their nations in their own image, made them extensions and expressions of themselves. I believe Trump wants to do that with America; to turn it into Trumpland, his monument to his own ego. Only America is wealthier and more powerful than NK or Russia, so if Trump succeeds, in his mind he'll have upstaged Kim and Putin. The greatest show on Earth.

I wonder if after the upcoming mid-term elections in the US we'll see a reversed rerun of what happened in Barack Obama's first term. During his initial two years, when the Democrats dominated Congress, Obama was able to get major legislation passed. Then after the mid-terms the Republicans gained hold of the legislature, after which he was stymied again and again.

As frustrating as that looked at the time, now I'm thinking Democrats doing the same thing would be the best-case scenario. :(

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

This is a list of the companies currently profiting from the detention centers

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Z04gxhORlgmS5sDhnX_ryDfSF8T2a6AwZWV1PMY-H8/mobilebasic

I definitely want to see hard information like this.  I live in az and I run into way too many people who compare trump and Obama... Or think things like the Muller investigation is bunk...  Or feel his policies are good somehow.  I need me hard data

Its easier if you invest time and substantial references and resources.  Its easier to appeal emotionally but I see far too much rationalization of that.

The latest?  These border stories are just to cover up the Muller investigation being biased.  As if our Senate and Congress reviewing it aren't the ones with the most bias here.....

Der Furor has signed an executive order stopping his inhumane child separation policy.  Now all we have to do is reunite 2000+ kids with their parents when virtually no information was recorded about any of them.  They could at least have tattooed numbers on their arms.

He has? ?

That's one of the biggest of the (many) frustrating things about dealing with Trump: you can't count on him to stick with anything he says. He changes his mind with the shifting breeze. Dealing with a fool is manageable if he's at least consistent.

That may be acceptable when negotiating one-on-one with someone where net personal gain is your only concern. But society, economy, and diplomacy suffer when there isn't consistency, reliability, structures and agreements you can trust to last.

This reminds me of an episode of The Boondocks where it's revealed that Ann Coulter (a harpy that belittles anyone that's not lily white like herself) secretly dates black guys. That said, there may be something substantial to the idea that she engineered this encounter to make herself look like a victim.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Der Furor has signed an executive order stopping his inhumane child separation policy.  Now all we have to do is reunite 2000+ kids with their parents when virtually no information was recorded about any of them.  They could at least have tattooed numbers on their arms.

I may have spoken too soon--although the media is giddily reporting that the policy has been ended, a careful read of the EO shows that it is the opposite of forcefully worded.  Basically, families can be kept together if it's convenient for ICE to do so.  As such it reads more like passing the buck to Sessions and Nielsen.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I may have spoken too soon--although the media is giddily reporting that the policy has been ended, a careful read of the EO shows that it is the opposite of forcefully worded.  Basically, families can be kept together if it's convenient for ICE to do so.  As such it reads more like passing the buck to Sessions and Nielsen.

Beyond that, the executive order, like so many other plans of the administration, is probably illegal.  

Trump's executive order would have the children detained with their parents.  However, in 2014 a federal judge declared that children can not be detained in jail-like settings even with their parents.  This is what led the Obama administration to letting both the parents and children go free while awaiting their asylum hearing.  It is this "catch and release policy to illegal immigrants" over which folks at Fox and Friends got our president all worked up about, precipitating the whole lets take the children away so that we can lock the parents up policy.

In face of public outcry, Trump is just reverting to the detaining children with their parents policy that the federal judge already ruled to be illegal.  Having successfully come up with a even more inhumane way of treating the children of asylum seeker who enter the country with their parent than locking them up together, does not make the policy of locking the children up in jail suddenly legal.