Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

You think?  His open admiration for murderers like Jong-Un and Duterte is hard to miss. And sickening. 

I will give him a small something on this (not that I want to).  He seems to consistently go for leaders who appear strong, tough, and decisive. (whether legit or not, and he is apparently easily fooled by PR "smokescreens" on that matter)  Those do happen to be dictators for one reason or another.   Though, I don't think being a dictator is necessarily required for that.  ANd I think it isn't to hard to find the faulty logic in there.

Now you made me hate myself.  (well trying to be accurate with no biases one way or the other).  I'm going to go cry in the shower, now.

Edit: Oh and completely forgetting the decisions they made in being "decisive".

As I've said before, the Donald clearly likes to think of himself as an alpha male, so instinctively respects other alphas. Yet all his life he's played games with the equivalent of monopoly money, for all that his wins and losses directly impact his life. But some of the dictators he's trying to deal with now have been playing for literal life and death stakes. Trump is out of his league, but he'll never admit that or even recognize it.

6 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Well, another Independence Day has come and gone. And all day, I had "O Canada" running through my mind.

Dean Shomshak

This story may be indicative of the differing mood in our two countries recently. Our current Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, has a zero-tolerance policy toward sexually-inappropriate conduct among members of his Liberal Party. Several members of caucus have been suspended after investigation of allegations, including a cabinet minister. But he's now undergoing media scrutiny, and criticism from the leader of the opposition party, for allegations that he inappropriately fondled a young female reporter at a charity music festival. Eighteen years ago.

The incident was relayed in an article in the newspaper the reporter worked for a few days later. (Justin wasn't in politics at the time, but as the son of the late Pierre Trudeau he was a public figure.) The article reported that Trudeau sort-of apologized to her the next day, saying, "If I'd known you were a reporter for a national newspaper, I would never have been so forward." The article was recently re-discovered and circulated online. The woman in question doesn't want to take legal action or even talk about it.

I believe this photo of Justin from the festival adds context.

justin-trudeau-28.jpg

EDIT: At the time Trudeau was 28, and single. He started dating his now-wife three years later, and they were married two years after that.

13 hours ago, Hermit said:

Of all the stupid shameful INGRATEFUL...

Pardon me, I'm going to froth in a corner for a bit

Hey... we can't have soldiers sympathetic to those aliens when we send them in to round them up.

Why is it that the crazies most likely to be anti-government and worried about black booted thugs coming after them, are the ones who elect and support just those administrations?

2 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Well... young Jamarria certainly learned a valuable lesson from this experience. Possibly even one that was intended by the likes of Governor Snyder.

On a happier note, the state of Washington's legislature is finally delivering the school funding demanded by the state's Supreme Court based on the state constitution. (Google: McCleary Decision.) It took several years; the task was made far more difficult than it probably needed to be because of Washington state's deranged tax system. Still, better late than never.

Dean Shomshak

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Cygnia said:

In his On Tyranny, one of the lessons historian Timothy Snyder draws from the 20the century's bloody history is, "Do not obey preemptively." Brutal authoritarians rarely launch their full criminality at once. The leaders aren't sure how far they can go. But they take encouragement when people start doing things they think would please the leaders, without being asked: for instance, the university that fires its Jewish professors before any command comes down to do this.

The US Army is preemptively obeying.

Dean Shomshak

11 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Well... young Jamarria certainly learned a valuable lesson from this experience. Possibly even one that was intended by the likes of Governor Snyder.

This type of gatekeeping makes me sick. It is almost as if sleazy politicians want to increase the chances that the up-and-coming generation grows up into a bunch of uneducated (and unmotivated) sheep. Surely that can't be intentional...can it?

22 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

In his On Tyranny, one of the lessons historian Timothy Snyder draws from the 20the century's bloody history is, "Do not obey preemptively." Brutal authoritarians rarely launch their full criminality at once. The leaders aren't sure how far they can go. But they take encouragement when people start doing things they think would please the leaders, without being asked: for instance, the university that fires its Jewish professors before any command comes down to do this.

The US Army is preemptively obeying.

Dean Shomshak

They a;ready started with any transgender soldiers...

That article draws the conclusion that the move was intended to protect the world baby-food industry, which is dominated by a handful of American and European companies. I don't know if there's any other possible explanation.

But threatening trade sanctions and withdrawal of military aid to a country over the wording of a resolution for promoting infant nutrition in developing countries... I don't have the words.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

That article draws the conclusion that the move was intended to protect the world baby-food industry, which is dominated by a handful of American and European companies. I don't know if there's any other possible explanation.

But threatening trade sanctions and withdrawal of military aid to a country over the wording of a resolution for promoting infant nutrition in developing countries... I don't have the words.

There are lots of possible other explanations.

a) Trump is playing to the part of his base that doesn't approve of breast feeding in public.

b) Trump might personally object to breast feeding for reasons.

c) Having the option of breast feeding made available (as long as the option of bottle feeding isn't taken away) is empowering towards women and this administration doesn't believe in empowering women.

d) Just to troll the mainstream and leftist media in order to distract attention away from some other dastardly deed.

3 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

There are lots of possible other explanations.

a) Trump is playing to the part of his base that doesn't approve of breast feeding in public.

b) Trump might personally object to breast feeding for reasons.

c) Having the option of breast feeding made available (as long as the option of bottle feeding isn't taken away) is empowering towards women and this administration doesn't believe in empowering women.

d) Just to troll the mainstream and leftist media in order to distract attention away from some other dastardly deed.

e) All of the above?