Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

So, back to the wikileaks release for a minute--

These files have been the topic of renewed discussion in some cyber forums, for obvious reasons.  In a nutshell there is virtually no question that the Russian government is behind the hack.  The emails were opened and edited on a computer set to use Cyrillic by default.  The hacker claimed to the press that he was Romanian but spoke and wrote very poor Romanian compared to his Russian.  Email communications with the "hacker" are clearly being written by several different people.  There is almost no reason for a private hacker or group to spend time on DNC communications--there's no profit model there.  And lastly it fits a now well-established pattern of the Putin regime to interfere in elections with well-timed leaks and hacks--it's just that up until now he's been picking on Eastern European countries.

On top of this Putin and Trump are thoroughly on record as supporting, if not admiring, each other.  It's also been pointed out that many of the 500+ companies that Trump is involved in are Russian or have Russian ties.  It's even been said that Russian money is keeping Trump's business afloat.  This last may be hyperbolic but there's definitely enough involvement to constitute a serious conflict of interest.

The worry is that the well-established Russian pattern doesn't involve one leak.  It involves a campaign of leaks and disinformation timed to cause maximum disruption.  As a result we can expect more such wikileaks releases, fabricated or not.  And people in the industry are now really, really worried about the security of electronic voting machines.

Sleep well!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-hack-hillary-clinton/index.html

I don't think that's ever happened before, a presidential candidate calling on a foreign power publicly to conduct espionage on their opponent. Whoa.

Ok... between this and Old Man's earlier post, we are now officially in the 'scaring me ####less all over again that he might win' territory

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-hack-hillary-clinton/index.html

I don't think that's ever happened before, a presidential candidate calling on a foreign power publicly to conduct espionage on their opponent. Whoa.

Trump just flushed the Republicans strongest criticism of Clinton, that she compromised our national security, straight down the toilet.

So, back to the wikileaks release for a minute--

These files have been the topic of renewed discussion in some cyber forums, for obvious reasons.  In a nutshell there is virtually no question that the Russian government is behind the hack.  The emails were opened and edited on a computer set to use Cyrillic by default.  The hacker claimed to the press that he was Romanian but spoke and wrote very poor Romanian compared to his Russian.  Email communications with the "hacker" are clearly being written by several different people.  There is almost no reason for a private hacker or group to spend time on DNC communications--there's no profit model there.  And lastly it fits a now well-established pattern of the Putin regime to interfere in elections with well-timed leaks and hacks--it's just that up until now he's been picking on Eastern European countries.

On top of this Putin and Trump are thoroughly on record as supporting, if not admiring, each other.  It's also been pointed out that many of the 500+ companies that Trump is involved in are Russian or have Russian ties.  It's even been said that Russian money is keeping Trump's business afloat.  This last may be hyperbolic but there's definitely enough involvement to constitute a serious conflict of interest.

The worry is that the well-established Russian pattern doesn't involve one leak.  It involves a campaign of leaks and disinformation timed to cause maximum disruption.  As a result we can expect more such wikileaks releases, fabricated or not.  And people in the industry are now really, really worried about the security of electronic voting machines.

Sleep well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8Iv8nkjqU

"We shall eat the flesh of those who despoil American forests" 

Presidential Nominee JubJub, the  first  Ewok to run for president, has made a controversial and strong statement on environmental issues.

*Badger makes plans to go all "John Wilkes Booth" if this menace succeeds.*

Alternately, Badger ponders entering politics vowing to build a wall around  Ewok village if elected.

Top ten is hard to crack when you already have Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Wilson, two Roosevelts, Truman, and Eisenhower in there.

At the very least (well I might move Wilson down to the 11-15 mark)

I'd actually put Obama somewhere in the 20s, which is more than most people on my side would give him.  Where in the 20s depends on how I am feeling that day.

Note: And quite a few of the 19th century guys are hard for me to rate.

I wouldn't want to put President Wilson in my top 10. Extreme anti-Semitic demagogue who jailed reporters and political dissidents. Even by the standards of his time he was not a nice person.  

President Ike had some flaws but I could see him in my top ten. Same for my home state President, President Truman. Washington and Jefferson would be must haves. As I recall Monroe was a pretty admirable chap. While I disagree with him on a lot of issues, I think President Clinton generally did a good job. So, that gives me 6 to start with. 

Soar.