Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

When I am watching TV, I see about 80+% pro-Dem ads, I think.   Don't care to guess who sinks lower though, I know me (and nearly everyone else) is going to carry a bias into that conversation.  In any case it seems this year has been typical in mud-flinging from my viewing.  Not really more or less (ok its never really less). 

Edit: I think both sides seem to have used the Kavanagh hearing results/shenanigans as their own free "campaign ad" to drill up the votes.

Oh it  certainly had an effect in Tennessee. Phil Bredesen ticked off over a thousand of his volunteers who quit when he said he would nominate Kavanagh. In his efforts to placate some moderate republicans he may have killed enthusiasm for others. And that may cost him the election to *Shudder* blackburn.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/10/weeks-before-the-midterms-phil-bredesen-is-pissing-off-progressives-tennessee-senate/

And some sites are saying that some of his support stafff are saying it was just a political ploy... which , true or not, Trump fans are latching onto big. 

Hooo....centrist is one thing, but there were more red flags with Kavanaugh than were on Florida's beaches last week.  

Political ploy to cut your own political throat?  I don't see it.  Near certainty to alienate a LARGE bloc of women voters, who even if they don't vote for the other candidate, probably then just won't cast a vote at all for that race.  NYT polls are showing a growing, now fairly significant, lead for the Republican.  So the notion of it being a political ploy sounds like total BS.

32 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Hooo....centrist is one thing, but there were more red flags with Kavanaugh than were on Florida's beaches last week.  

Political ploy to cut your own political throat?  I don't see it.  Near certainty to alienate a LARGE bloc of women voters, who even if they don't vote for the other candidate, probably then just won't cast a vote at all for that race.  NYT polls are showing a growing, now fairly significant, lead for the Republican.  So the notion of it being a political ploy sounds like total BS.

Honestly, I just know he pretty much sunk himself in the polls. He had a 5 percent lead.... then after that? Was behind 12 percent. Now he's ONLY 7 percent behind  but I fear he just shot himself in the foot irreparably.

Folks have gone from "maybe a democrat can win" to "Meh. What democrat?"

"He is a gentleman- A Good Knight, who is aggressively confrontational against corruption. He is strong on public safety. He is a logical man with the proper capabilities necessary to represent Northern Ohio residents in this unique political scene." 

Fie! What base knavery is this? That a man should beat his own breast and boast of his aggression and proclaim the beam in his eye gives him vast prowess to judge others? What unknightly behavior that he should forsake the chivarlic virtues of humility, temperance, and fortitude and instead, like a drunkard lurching for fermented swill, seek to claim a crown. Meanwhile, the townsfolk do quake in fear or outrage at his ignoble behavior. Miloth! the man lacks the genteel spirit required of those who would offer to guide a people, ALL the people about, and not just the select few he would favor.  Were he to set one foot in Camelot, even Sir Kay, a bit of a brute himself, would not deign sup with the like, and Arthur would weep to see that an odious weed had arisen claiming to be a flower of knighthood. Fie and Fie again! I clear the dust from my heels and will have no truck with him!

Bravely, bold, Sir Alt-Knight

Rode forth for Congress seat.

He was not afraid to lie,

Oh, brave Sir Alt-Knight!

He was not at all afraid

To fill up the air with s***

Brave, brave, brave,

Brave Sir Alt-Knight!

He was not the least bit scared

To act just like a Troll,

Or to have his name besmirched,

Or his sanity questioned!

To have the electorate split

And all logic burned away.

And the truth all hacked and mangled,

Brave Sir Alt-Knight!

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Not surprising at all.  Gives me hope...because if there's one large group that might be considered single-issue-dominated, it's us retired people, with Soc Sec and Medicare.  Because it is literally the financial lifeline for many.  Maybe, just maybe, we will see a chamber switch sides.  The downside?  If we don't...I think the legislative rampage will start next year.

I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting. I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting. I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting. I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting.  

Oooommm

56 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting. I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting. I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting. I shall not be upset with two millenials in my family who aren't voting.  

Oooommm

To cross-post from the Jokes thread:

43 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Q: How many millennials does it take to change a light bulb?

Hide contents

A: None.  Millennials may talk and blog and protest, but they never really change anything.

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Oooommm

Have they said why they're not voting?  Surely they have a reason.  It may not be a good reason, but still.  .  .

Just now, wcw43921 said:

Have they said why they're not voting?  Surely they have a reason.  It may not be a good reason, but still.  .  .

The s tory for one is... she doesn't like making choices (No I kid you not) . I'm sure there must be more to it, but I don't want to be 'that older guy'. Besides, it's now too late for them to register

Thinking about it, it may be that you can change your party affiliation at the polling place. I haven't looked in awhile. Honestly, I just renew my voter registration every time I renew my driver's license, so I never really worry about it.