Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Honestly, I should probably be better versed in my state's quirks regarding voting than I am.  :o But there's an undercurrent of paranoia in Tennessee right now that somewhere, somebody, who shouldn't ought to be able to vote IS doing just that!  We must protect our votes!

Better a hundred true voters be denied than once false voter get in!

Okay it's not THAT bad I suppose but it feels like it.

This state used to be sane...ish.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Thinking about it, it may be that you can change your party affiliation at the polling place. I haven't looked in awhile. Honestly, I just renew my voter registration every time I renew my driver's license, so I never really worry about it.

Hmm, I've never re-registered.  I've only missed voting in Presidential election (2000). and I voted in the mid-terms before and after, so registering hasn't been an issue since initially in high school (maybe VA is unique or something)

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Do remind them of their non-vote whenever they start complaining about the political situation. Maybe it'll sink in for the next time.

I don't buy that theory anymore.   In 2016, I couldn't bring myself to vote for either Clinton or Trump (I did vote for every other election which is why I didn't count above).  It just wasn't the usual vote for the lesser evil, they both utterly disgusted me. (did briefly consider to vote for the Constitutional Party candidate-but decided against since I don't really know anything at all about them)

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Every November you are lucky to get 100 million people voting.  The 2014 midterms had the lowest turnout in 70 years with only 36 percent of eligible voters.  The majority of Americans from all generations (not just millenials) don't care about this stuff.

Not with a bang, but a whimper. 

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Every November you are lucky to get 100 million people voting.  The 2014 midterms had the lowest turnout in 70 years with only 36 percent of eligible voters.  The majority of Americans from all generations (not just millenials) don't care about this stuff.

A very good, and sad, point.

Also I haven't always had a perfect voting record all my life either so I guess I was at one time 'part of the problem'

12 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Not trying to start a fight, just genuinely curious: Do people who believed in 2016 that President Hillary Clinton was no more palatable an alternative that President Donald Trump, still hold that view today?

I read conservative posts often. From what I gather, his standing has actually improved.

https://www.quora.com/Do-you-think-that-Kavanaugh-s-win-will-change-the-course-of-history

Many reading this will not be regular partakers in many of the websites I like to cruise. So allow me to reveal that there’s been an avalanche of comments along the lines of, “As a Never Trumper, I did not expect to be looking at voting for him in 2020…” or “I still can’t stand his loud mouth, but winning sure feels good for a change…”

Trump tore a huge rift in the Republican Party. It was sitting there for two years for the Democrats to exploit… drive a wedge between the Brahmin GOPers and the populist Republican insurgents behind Trump. Instead, they just healed the rift! They had all young Republicans in law and politics thinking, “That could be me there on the hot seat being flayed in front of the American public. They despise all of us!”

(Because from the Conservative side, the Ford allegations were merely political, and faux victims would have been brought forth for any candidate)

As the economy goes, so goes the election in general.  Trump would be done if the economy had weakened, instead it's gotten stronger and stronger by all the standard measurable.  On average, I'd say people are tone deaf to his antics and rhetoric.  Doesn't help the Dems any that their only platform seems to be 'not-Trump' and the Clintons still seem to be their biggest voice.  Most of the media keeps telling me that they will crush the right in the midterms.  Ok.  I was told that 2 years ago as well.

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

This year, my state is pushing the Vote By Mail thing. So I've already voted.

:thumbup:

Washington state went all Vote By Mail and it seems to be working well. So nice not having to find where they put the polling place this year, free up time on Election Day, stand in line (OK, that only happened in one or two Presidential election years, usually we could go right in). And as our Secretary of State reminded us in an interview yesterday, it's so nice having a complete paper record that hackers can't touch.

I vote every election, including all the down-ballot races. I'm lucky that I have some lawyer friends whom I can ask if they've personally worked with judge candidates.

Dean Shomshak

32 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

I read conservative posts often. From what I gather, his standing has actually improved.

Quoteybit:

Trump tore a huge rift in the Republican Party. It was sitting there for two years for the Democrats to exploit… drive a wedge between the Brahmin GOPers and the populist Republican insurgents behind Trump. Instead, they just healed the rift! They had all young Republicans in law and politics thinking, “That could be me there on the hot seat being flayed in front of the American public. They despise all of us!”

Ah, the Democratic Party. Have they ever been surpassed at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory?

Dean Shomshak

It kinda amazes me that the worst case scenario for climate change is an increase of 5-6 degrees Celsius by 2100, and there's not even enough interest to spend even a night on it in cable news(apparently a ratings killer).  The last time average temps rose by 6 degrees Celsius was quite a while ago, in the Permian Era.  That, purely coincidentally I'm sure, was the worst extinction event in the history of the planet, with up to 95% of species being wiped out.  5-6 degrees is the level of increase that effectively puts a "?" next to "the future of humanity".  2 degrees isn't the standard prediction, it's the aspirational goal(actually some suggest trying for limiting it to +1.5, but that number will be hit by 2040, so there's not a hell of a lot of time).  We're currently on pace for +4, from what I understand.  That is uncomfortably close to that +5/6 apocalyptic hellscape threshold.  At +4 sea levels will rise faster than we can build against it(about a meter every 20 years, starting in 2100).  At +6, we're looking at melting everything by, say, 2400, raising sea level 200 feet.  

It's also notable that summer temps will go up by about double whatever the increase is, so at +6, you're looking at average summer temps going up by 10-12 C/20+ F.  That's a massive number of heat-related deaths.  

How did this get to be a partisan issue?  "We'd agree with the science, but, y'know, we're Republicans, so we can't."