Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 hour ago, csyphrett said:

This administration is nothing but hate and bigotry all the way down. The only reason it hasn't been more awful is that everything has to go through a court, and some of the judges look at this and go, No. Quit being stupid.

Just wanted to point out that the GOP has continued to pack the lower courts after Kavanaugh's confirmation.  Sleep well!

The Hillsborough County (FL) Republican Party decided to have a fundraiser dinner and booked none other than Steve Bannon to be the guest speaker.

Tickets to sit at Bannon's table were being sold for $2000. A VIP ticket was a still respectable $1000. General admission tickets were $125.

Apparently by last week the organization realized that tickets weren't selling well and cut ticket prices dramatically. A seat at Bannon's table was reduced to $500, VIP tickets were reduced to $300, and general admission was reduced to $50.

By this Monday, the organization announced that tickets to the event were now free.

Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch? :D

You just can't make this stuff up.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/10/23/steve-bannon-tickets-now-going-for-zero-dollars/

Me: So is Trump using an unsecured line, leaking State secrets to our rivals?

Administration: No. In fact, Trump is very paranoid about being tapped, since even before he entered the White House.

Me: Actually, that sounds right. I do remember him acting paranoid about that. That explanation tracks.

Administration: In fact, he isn't a big one on reading. He doesn't dig into the details of his intelligence reports, so there's little chance of him actually leaking something important.

Me.  . . . and we're back to me being worried.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/24/us/politics/trump-phone-security.html

5 hours ago, Dr.Device said:

First, a note, transgender is an adjective, not a verb, so it's "transgender person, not "transgendered person." Not a huge deal, but I wanted to point it out. [1] 

Ah, and I'm usually a stickler for language. I'll correct the original, thanks.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I hope the impact is minimal and the next administration gets things back on track. (And I hope the current batch can't do too much more damage to basic human dignity in the interim.)

6 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

Administration: No. In fact, Trump is very paranoid about being tapped, since even before he entered the White House.

Me: Actually, that sounds right. I do remember him acting paranoid about that. That explanation tracks.

Administration: In fact, he isn't a big one on reading. He doesn't dig into the details of his intelligence reports, so there's little chance of him actually leaking something important.

I don't trust that Trump can remember anything which any advisors try to tell him long enough to relay it to someone else over the phone.

But I also don't trust that Trump understands, at all, the difference between information which should be kept secret vs things which you can say in public.

Question from your neighbor in the Great White North: I've seen some Republican campaign ads on television lately telling voters that if the Democrats take control of Congress, everything you value in life will be destroyed (not quite in so many words, but not far off). Oddly, I haven't caught any Democratic ads yet (but I don't watch much television). What's the tone of the ones you Americans have seen? Same as Republican, or different?

10 hours ago, Sociotard said:

OTOH a commentator pointed out that Trump's paranoia might actually lead to him using his private 'phone rather than a White House secure line. If it goes through the WH switchboard it's logged.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

OTOH a commentator pointed out that Trump's paranoia might actually lead to him using his private 'phone rather than a White House secure line. If it goes through the WH switchboard it's logged.

That makes no sense at all: Trump claims he is in favor of logging.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Question from your neighbor in the Great White North: I've seen some Republican campaign ads on television lately telling voters that if the Democrats take control of Congress, everything you value in life will be destroyed (not quite in so many words, but not far off). Oddly, I haven't caught any Democratic ads yet (but I don't watch much television). What's the tone of the ones you Americans have seen? Same as Republican, or different?

I live in arguably the reddest of the Red states, so most of the elections were effectively decided months ago in the party primaries. (Yay for inertia.)

The few really hotly contested elections--my district's House race and a couple of ballot initiatives--show profoundly similar strategies and levels of vitriol from both sides.

18 hours ago, archer said:

I don't trust that Trump can remember anything which any advisors try to tell him long enough to relay it to someone else over the phone.

But I also don't trust that Trump understands, at all, the difference between information which should be kept secret vs things which you can say in public.

Agreed. As far as I can tell, the President has no vault and no filter.