Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

(For the record, I voted in early voting a couple of weeks ago.)

Well, things seem to have turned out pretty much as expected. The House and a few more governorships went to the D column (including my home state of IL, as expected given Rauner's extreme unpopularity). And there were some Senate pickups for the R's. We'll see how it all plays out for 2020's Presidential election and census!

In other news, I think it's good that 64% of the people of Florida voted in favor of an Amendment to the Florida Constitution allowing convicted felons to vote once they have served their time (if they aren't murderers or violent sex offenders).

Question #1 on yesterday's Utah ballot would have recommended a 10¢/gallon tax on gasoline (about +$1.25 when I filled up last week, for perspective) to raise $100 million for education and road construction.

Utah voters shot it down by a 2-1 margin.

So our drivers will still dodge potholes year round, our schools will still struggle to attract and retain good teachers, and our classrooms and freeways will remain perpetually overcrowded, with no relief in sight on any of those fronts.

But hey, we still have cheap gas!

Way to go, Utah! That'll show 'em!

Republican Senator Dean Heller lost his seat to Democrat Jacky Rosen, making the delegation from Nevada to Congress all Democrat, except for Congressional District 2. Both Governor and Lt Governor flipped to Democrats as well.

Question 1 was about expanded rights to victims of crimes. It passed with 61.2% of the vote.

Question 2 was about removing sales taxes from feminine hygiene products. It passed with 56.5% of the vote.

Question 3 was about deregulating electricity. It failed with 67.1% voting no.

Question 4 was about removing sales taxes from durable medical devices. It passed with 67.3% of the vote.

Question 5 was about automatic voter registration at the DMV (opt-out available). It also allows for automatic updates of the voter rolls when an ID is updated. It passed with 59.9% of the vote.

Question 6 was about increasing the mandate for renewable energy. It passed with 59.3% of the vote.

11 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I can hope. 

McConnell says today that he will work for border wall funding during the lame duck session.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/415490-mcconnell-says-he-will-push-for-border-wall-funding

Personally, I think the illegal immigration problems would be better off dealt with by using the government's full databases to E-Verify every current and future employee in the US since that's something which could be accomplished relatively quickly and cheaply rather than building a wall. But I know a physical wall appeals to a lot of people.

37 minutes ago, archer said:

Personally, I think the illegal immigration problems would be better off dealt with by using the government's full databases to E-Verify every current and future employee in the US since that's something which could be accomplished relatively quickly and cheaply rather than building a wall. But I know a physical wall appeals to a lot of people.

Couple that with heavy, heavy penalties for companies that hire people who are in the country illegally, and we may solve the problem.

In fact, I'm in favor of the corporate death penalty for any company that hires an illegal immigrant, knowing or not. Full liquidation of all company assets, owners/stockholders lose everything, and any proceeds go to pay down the national debt.

I'll even be generous and go with a three strikes and you're out standard, so long as the strikes follow everyone involved (every shareholder, every member of the board, every member of the management team).

Washington state's carbon tax initiative lost. I guess creating a slush fund to buy off Native American tribes and "social justice" groups (whatever that means) is a net negative for voters.

The initiative to ban soda taxes (under cover of banning taxes on milk and eggs) passed handily. Once again, giving legislative power directly to voters turns out to be an excellent tool for big-money corporate interests.

Dean Shomshak

5 minutes ago, archer said:

McConnell says today that he will work for border wall funding during the lame duck session.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/415490-mcconnell-says-he-will-push-for-border-wall-funding

Oh, if E- Verify was implemented, it would be  cheaper, and effective. The wall, though is a simple to understand deterrent.  These Caravans must not cross our borders.

Voted.  Took over an hour just to get started because the printers died barely an hour after the polling station opened.

Aren't caravans kind of easy to spot?  I don't know why anyone would build a whole wall to keep a caravan out when a couple dozen people could do the same.

The problem with walls is they lock people in.  Not just out.

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

These Caravans must not cross our borders.

If they had Caravans*, they'd probably have the energy to do something naughty when they get here, but I think most of them will be half dead and little threat to anyone. Those that survive the whole trip.

*Much better than walking:

d879e0eec2521f5e14045ff0e666e1b2.png

13 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

If they had Caravans*, they'd probably have the energy to do something naughty when they get here, but I think most of them will be half dead and little threat to anyone. Those that survive the whole trip.

Yeah, I can't roll my eyes hard enough at people who allow themselves to be terrified by a couple thousand unarmed, penniless refugees on foot.  Man up.  Jesus.

My grandfather used to come back into the country through a certain farm on the border with PDQ.

My grandmother said that she was a citizen, to which my grandfather would joke about a convenient church fire. “Thirteen new citizens that day.”

They had the advantage of looking like a bunch of folks up in Maine (French surnames), and they probably came in sometime in the late 1930s or early 1940s.

1 hour ago, megaplayboy said:

Well, he should recuse, based upon a number of reasons,  but probably won't.   Things like this make me less optimistic about the future of the Republic. 

Also, consider this.  Any moves to quash Mueller that have to go to court?  Go to the new Court, with Kavanaugh.  

And Whitaker seems rather more likely to try to pull the plug.