Simon

Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

No, you need to raise your voice to push your politicians to drop this whole line of endeavor. Because if it isn't halted it will just spread to the rest of the states.

But it sure seems like the Republicans have given up on trying to woo more women voters.

17 hours ago, Cygnia said:

There has been some talk that this is a grandstand move with no real way to get voted on. It's hard to say how much traction this thing will actually get before it's struck if it ever even gets voted on.

It does show that some people will always want to tell others what to do even when it's none of their business.

CES  

7 hours ago, csyphrett said:

There has been some talk that this is a grandstand move with no real way to get voted on. It's hard to say how much traction this thing will actually get before it's struck if it ever even gets voted on.

It does show that some people will always want to tell others what to do even when it's none of their business.

CES  

Grandstanding today is application tomorrow.  Though who knows how far this could actually go.

Unfortunately grandstanding is a great way to test the viability of a movement in order to see if a politician can ride it into power (or to stay in power).

For now, all we can do is tell them it's terrible and to stop.  Anything that's going to happen will probably be years down the pipeline...

On 11/25/2018 at 3:26 AM, csyphrett said:

CES  

It can be argued that Trump's presidential bid was nothing but grandstanding...at first.

Mind, I seriously doubt even the current Court would consider a requirement that a woman have a child is *remotely* Constitutional, but any move in this direction is something that needs to be quashed ASAP.

Well, we're seeing, as best I can recall, the first serious pushback against Trump, by the Republicans.  This is about the Khashoggi killing.  After a briefing to the Senate that didn't include any CIA representation, and only had Trumpian spin involved, the Senate moved to continue debate on a bill to stop military aid to the Saudis, by a 63-37 vote.  That means QUITE a few Republicans crossed over, including some very big names.  I'm hoping that this starts the ball rolling, to at least curb Trump's worst tendencies.  

15 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Well, we're seeing, as best I can recall, the first serious pushback against Trump, by the Republicans.  This is about the Khashoggi killing.  After a briefing to the Senate that didn't include any CIA representation, and only had Trumpian spin involved, the Senate moved to continue debate on a bill to stop military aid to the Saudis, by a 63-37 vote.  That means QUITE a few Republicans crossed over, including some very big names.  I'm hoping that this starts the ball rolling, to at least curb Trump's worst tendencies.  

Yeah, I won't count on it, but it was good to see not ALL standards are dead.

There seems to be some hope that Senator-elect Romney (R-UT) can pick up where the late Senator McCain left off in being The Guy for the GOP who's willing to call out the President on his crap when necessary.

I hope that ends up being the case. 

Either way, I'll confess that I'm not sad to see Senator Hatch gone. He should've left six years ago, maybe twelve.

5 minutes ago, Dr.Device said:

Oh, hey, look! It turns out there probably was some significant vote fraud this election. You'll never guess on the part of which party. 

It really sucks that once the dust settles, this will be used to "prove" that that there is a need for strict voter id laws, when no degree of strict voter id would have stopped this.

I wish I could disagree with  your second line there (Because the first surprises me not at all). 

I am actually okay with voter ID cards to a large part, but I believe if you make the mandatory., then you need to offer them up for FREE to every citizen legally able to vote and it shouldn't come from their own pockets. 

Somehow i doubt the GOP will go for that little budget cost.

He had the unenviable task of being the President to follow Ronald Reagan. How do you live up to a guy who was larger than life in that office?

GHWB was one of the last holdovers from a time when the other party was just The Other Party and not The Enemy. I fear we won't see that again in my lifetime.

Rest in Peace, Mr. President.