Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Yep.  The Brits shot themselves in the foot with an autocannon.  Hey, guess what, Brits...you've got no leverage here, beyond the fact that a decently clean separation is also in the interest of the EU.

Get used to it.  Populist SCREAMS will be the New Normal moving forward.  The major shifts that will be necessary in the face of climate change will ensure that.  Or, of course, they'll be in response to all the ongoing disasters that are triggered.

Not sure I'd go that far; but I do believe we're seeing a preview of how Trump will melt down if the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives keeps stymying him.

I have wondered why Trump is so fixated on building his border wall. He's walked away from other promises without a backward glance. Could he view the wall as his ultimate real-estate deal? Or as a monument to remind future generations of his "greatness?"

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Not sure I'd go that far; but I do believe we're seeing a preview of how Trump will melt down if the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives keeps stymying him.

I have wondered why Trump is so fixated on building his border wall. He's walked away from other promises without a backward glance. Could he view the wall as his ultimate real-estate deal? Or as a monument to remind future generations of his "greatness?"

The suggestion is parts of his and comrades' organizations would profit somehow in the construction. 

Or maybe he just hates Latin people that much.

CES

11 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

Trump must have misplaced his butt earlier today, because Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer were all too happy to hand it to him at their public meeting. 

No, looking at the CNN edits and the FOX edits I didn't see that at all.

EVERYONE looked stupid in that meeting.  From Trumps nonsensical and illogical ranting, to Schumer CLEARLY (and a bit creepily) arguing for the cameras (Lord, stop looking at me, Chuck!), Pence trying to stay awake, and Pelosi being Pelosi.

What a sad group of people....WE are as Americans for electing those morons.

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

No, looking at the CNN edits and the FOX edits I didn't see that at all.

EVERYONE looked stupid in that meeting.  From Trumps nonsensical and illogical ranting, to Schumer CLEARLY (and a bit creepily) arguing for the cameras (Lord, stop looking at me, Chuck!), Pence trying to stay awake, and Pelosi being Pelosi.

What a sad group of people....WE are as Americans for electing those morons.

Kind of how I felt.  Incredibly unproductive encounter all around and no one looked good in it.

There's no one person or group to blame for the current mess. Everyone had a hand in making it: the politicians for their egocentric, disingenuous, partisan ineptitude; and the public not only for electing them, but for passively enabling their behavior for so long until it came to this head.

Donald Trump may be aggravating the mess, but he just saw an opportunity to exploit a mess that was already there.

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Overheard today from a customer:

“Trump! Trump! He’s our man! If he can’t do it, no one can! Did you see Trump put Nancy Pelosi in her place yesterday?”

Yep. Two parties can view the identical event and come to radically different conclusions. It's sometimes disheartening to contemplate the amount of subjective filtering most of us do. :(

But the Trump cult of personality has taken it to another level.

2 hours ago, Doc Shadow said:

I just have to shake my head at the worries that if Trump has to testify that foreign leaders will see how crazy/incompetent he is.

PRETTY SURE they already know!

Also, keeping an idiot's ass covered because of "national security" seems to indicate that that term lost any real meaning we can respect decades ago.

Foreign leaders have had two years to deal with Trump. I have no doubt they're very well aware of his flaws and inadequacies by now. But it might be salutary to make such testimony public, just so the man's supporters can see incontestable proof of those things. (Then again, for many of his supporters nothing negative about him seems to be incontestable.) :(

In the defense of various government agencies, they haven't been covering Donald Trump's ass. They've been covering the ass of the President of the United States. Their responsibility is to the office, regardless of what they may think of a given occupant.

The conflict many of them are facing is that their first responsibility is to the American Constitution, not the President; and lately those appear to conflict more and more. (Republicans in Congress often seem to conveniently forget that, though.)

The other aspect of the Intelligencer article is, it's trivial for Trumpeteers to ignore.  Just another bash.  At least in public.  It would be interesting to hear their thoughts in private.  The RNC has to be terrified, because the midterm elections were a debacle.  If Trump is still President a year from today, then the Party will be completely swept out in 2020...White House, House, and Senate.  I'd also be worried that the backlash would damage the Party for a couple election cycles.  To be sure, some of this may depend on the Democrats finding a candidate with a clue.

8 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The other aspect of the Intelligencer article is, it's trivial for Trumpeteers to ignore.  Just another bash.  At least in public.  It would be interesting to hear their thoughts in private.  The RNC has to be terrified, because the midterm elections were a debacle.  If Trump is still President a year from today, then the Party will be completely swept out in 2020...White House, House, and Senate.  I'd also be worried that the backlash would damage the Party for a couple election cycles.  To be sure, some of this may depend on the Democrats finding a candidate with a clue.

So, maybe a 50/50 chance then.  ;)