Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

5 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

You notice what happens in other countries when there is a mass shooting?  They immediately decide to change their gun laws... 

I also noticed something missing from their constitution which makes such immediate reaction a lot easier.

It should also be noted that while NZ's firearms laws are considerably laxer than Australia's, they're also considerably stricter than those in the US (in general).

6 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

You notice what happens in other countries when there is a mass shooting?  They immediately decide to change their gun laws...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-16/new-zealand-to-change-gun-laws-after-mass-shooting-kills-49

Doc

When emotions are running high immediately after a tragedy isn't the time for politicians to make sound policy decisions. That's how the US got things like Japanese internment camps and the Patriot Act.

DARPA Is Building a $10 Million, Open Source, Secure Voting System

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/yw84q7/darpa-is-building-a-dollar10-million-open-source-secure-voting-system

I was extremely skeptical when I read the headline (as in, "there's no way this will end well). But after reading the article, it seems what they're doing has real possibilities to accomplish what it says it's supposed to accomplish.

Building the hardware so that it runs a specific set of software rather than running any malware which might be downloaded, like most hardware will do, seems like an interesting approach.

2 hours ago, archer said:

When emotions are running high immediately after a tragedy isn't the time for politicians to make sound policy decisions. That's how the US got things like Japanese internment camps and the Patriot Act.

It is the time to accomplish things good or bad that would not be possible in normal times.  I don't think this is equivalent to internment camps, possibly more like Patriot, but this is an issue well mulled over, and I am not convinced that any response is, at this time, knee-jerk, or hasty.

Doc

On 3/14/2019 at 11:18 AM, Hermit said:

I can understand that. I can't name the number of times I hear about some hate fueled incident done by a moron and I find myself thinking "Please don't be from Tennessee" 

If I feel REALLY optimistic, it's "Please, don't be from a Southern state!"

It's okay, Hermit. We understand.

-- "I'm back, and here's that gallon of methanol y'all wanted what for to embiggen the hootch!"

--"Just stack it with that pile of guns over there, Bobby Joe."

--"Which pile o'guns, again, Billy Sue?"

--"The one next to the oxy scripts."

-- "Did Ah here someone say Meth?"

--"Settle down, Gramps. And turn on your Medicare-provided hearing aid, 'cuz you can't here a word over Fox and Friends talkin' about how Guvmint ain't worth spit. Anyways, Bobby Joe's got rubbin' alcohol, not meth."

--"Ah likes that, too! Makes my tooth-holes go numb!"

--"Well, Billy Bob's cooking up some meth this afternoon, and he'll be looking for a tester."

--"You're a mighty fine grandson, Billy Sue. And nephew. And son. And half-brother."

--"Coming from you, Gramps, that's kindly words. So what's on the agenda for you today, Bobby Joe?"

--"Going to take the weekly load down to Nashville in my big, black Ford!"

--"Can't go wrong with that. Ah got my marathon of Celebrity Dancing House Apprentice lined up, so Ah'll stay here and watch the 'holler in case Chelsea Clinton runs for President and sends the black helicopters."

--"Good thinking, Billy Sue."

--"And spam the Internet with pro-Aquaman posts!"

[Rousing general cheer.]

. . . Or do we? Dunh dunh dunh.

22 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

images(2).png.5b172fc17ff3107fa249996bcd9bb2d6.pngimages(23).jpg.c12f754b2dab658b0f9b378790985204.jpgimages(24).jpg.4c7afa2bdd8c875aaae21c66b5bc484f.jpg

Given the campaign season is underway, let me endorse another option for folks to consider as a remedy to the current crop of issues...

I like the "No Lives Matter" poster.

It neatly cuts to the heart of the controversy between the "Black Lives Matter" and the "All Lives Matter" factions.

2 hours ago, archer said:

Italian politician who was against mandatory chickenpox, measles, polio, etc. vaccinations comes down with chickenpox.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/434838-italian-politician-who-opposed-making-chickenpox-vaccinations

That's laser-guided karma right there.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

As someone who has family members that had polio, I think he got off pretty lightly. 

Considering the number of uninvited and unvaccinated boat refugees funneling through Libya and Lebanon into Italy in the last decade, I'm shocked there are still people in Italy who think that mandatory vaccination is a bad idea.

At least with normal land borders, countries have a chance of offering refugees vaccinations near the border towns if it hadn't already happened in some other country along the refugees' route. But with their whole country essentially being a border, Italy has been seeing 100,000-200,000 boat refugees a year being dumped somewhere at random on their shores (rather than having them arrive in a confined geographic area).

Yeah, chicken pox was getting off very lightly.