Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

The thing that makes me sigh is, even if you debunk a couple dozen of these bogus allegations, it doesn't seem to matter. People hold on to this caricature of HRC as this lying, corrupt, greedy conniving Lady Macbeth, not from objective in depth research and observation, but as some tribal article of faith.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/achievements.asp

One more and I'm out - snopes claims this quote is false also.  When a journalist asked HRC what her greatest accomplishment as Secretary of State was, she responded:

"Well, I'm glad you asked! My proudest accomplishment in which I take the most pride, mostly because of the opposition it faced early on, you know… the remnants of prior situations and mindsets that were too narrowly focused in a manner whereby they may have overlooked the bigger picture and we didn’t do that and I’m proud of that. Very proud.  I would say that’s a major accomplishment."

More or less a stream of incoherent babble, it is hard to believe someone in the public eye for so long would utter it.  But she did.  I watched it live.  I remember it distinctly.  It created severe doubt in my mind that this woman is ready for the nation's highest office.  Apparently, I imagined the whole incident. . . . ?

Incidentally, with no more f***s left in his pocket, the incumbent president had the temerity to point out that the August Emperor a l'Orange is not, in fact, wearing any clothes.

And he's absolutely right.  

Has there ever been a president that wasn't either a politician or a career military officer? 

If not - maybe there's a reason for that? A base expectation that no matter who wins they'll at least be qualified for the job?

Herbert Hoover. But I believe he had a civil service gig of some sort before becoming president.

He was Secretary of Commerce.  

In lower level political news Sparta Georgia sent cops to the residences of 180 black residents to subpoena them to come to court to prove they were eligible to vote.  That's one fifth of Sparta's registered voters, so it's got to be a pretty big proportion of the black registered voting public.  

Herbert Hoover. But I believe he had a civil service gig of some sort before becoming president.

Commerce Secretary. His name was also bruited in1920, so I wandered over to Wikipedia and discovered that Wonder Boy put his name on the California primary ballot in 1920. Like some other Presidential candidates of note, Hoover never had any doubts about his own abilities --however much his contemporaries urged him to reconsider. 

In lower level political news Sparta Georgia sent cops to the residences of 180 black residents to subpoena them to come to court to prove they were eligible to vote.  That's one fifth of Sparta's registered voters, so it's got to be a pretty big proportion of the black registered voting public.  

Jim Crow lives.

That stampede you just heard is the sound of a horde of election lawyers running down there to sue the hell out of the Sparta government.

The He-Man Shark Haters Club Plan of Action For Totally Burning All Those No-Account Sharks That Have It Coming

i) Write an antishark manifesto;

ii) Send out the police to drop bleeding corpses of fat, delicious fish in the water to attract lots of sharks;

iii) Cut yourself with razors, get the cuts bleeding good, rub yourself with barbecue sauce, Old Bay;

iv) Jump in the water and start reciting your manifesto

Trump is a jackass and Hillary is a corrupt greedy psycho.  Neither one is anyone we should admire or look up to.  I cannot get the fawning adoration that politicians get when all we should treat them with is contempt and suspicion.  They do not give a crap about you no matter what lies they tell you.

Couldn't possibly agree more. NOTA 2016.

Political Science Theater 3000

In the not too distant future,

Super Tuesday A.D.

There was a guy named Joel,

Not too different from you or me.

He worked at Gizmonic institute,

Just another face in a red jumpsuit.

He did a good job cleaning up the place,

But his bosses didn't like him so they made him watch the Presidential Race.

(ARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The parties selected wretched candidates,

The worst they could find (la, la, la)

He'll have to sit and watch the debates,

And they'll monitor his mind (la, la, la)

Now keep in mind Joel can't control

Where the debates begin or end.

Because he used those special parts,

To make his robot friends.

Robot Roll Call (Let's Go!)

Cambot (Pan Left!)

Gypsy (Hi Girls!)

Tom Servo (Hi Tall Guy!)

Crooooooow (I'm The Wisecracker!)

If you're wondering who would elect these dolts,

Or other political facts (la, la, la)

Then repeat to yourself it's U.S. politics,

The standards are kinda lax.

For Political Science Theater 3000

Quite the opposite, although I find that his his chances are not zero. A Trump victory would actually cause the GOP to eventually accrete around him. A Trump loss, on the other hand, leaves the corporate and Tea Party wings blaming each other for the Clinton administration.

I suspect that if Trump wins the next presidential election will see the Republicans destroyed in Congress.