Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, CrosshairCollie said:

Trump reminds me more and more of Emperor Kuzco from The Emperor's New Groove every day.

"It's all about ME!"

...except that Kuzco eventually learned to see beyond himself. I don't see that happening with Mr. Trump.

So, my wife and son-in-law and I went to see the Capitol Steps show today.  (Our older daughter was unable to go because of work, and out younger daughter wasn't interested in going.)  Lots of political parody songs - I'm sure they're loving Trump being president, if for no other reason than the great comedic material it gives them. Bought their latest CD ("The Lyin' Kings"), great stuff.

Anyway, during the show, the guy imitating Trump said, "It's 2019 - no President has ever had a higher numbered year, never been done before, it took me to do it."  And I leaned over to my wife and said, "At last, he told the truth!"

Cut to a few hours after the show, and we head out to dinner after picking up the kids.  Driving home afterward, I put the CD in and during the lead-in to the second song, the same guy says the same thing.  And my youngest (who had no idea what I had said during the show) says, "Oh my God, he finally told the truth!"  Guess there's no doubt she's my kid!

17 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

So, my wife and son-in-law and I went to see the Capitol Steps show today.  (Our older daughter was unable to go because of work, and out younger daughter wasn't interested in going.)  Lots of political parody songs - I'm sure they're loving Trump being president, if for no other reason than the great comedic material it gives them. Bought their latest CD ("The Lyin' Kings"), great stuff.

Anyway, during the show, the guy imitating Trump said, "It's 2019 - no President has ever had a higher numbered year, never been done before, it took me to do it."  And I leaned over to my wife and said, "At last, he told the truth!"

Cut to a few hours after the show, and we head out to dinner after picking up the kids.  Driving home afterward, I put the CD in and during the lead-in to the second song, the same guy says the same thing.  And my youngest (who had no idea what I had said during the show) says, "Oh my God, he finally told the truth!"  Guess there's no doubt she's my kid!

Actually, when he said "it took me to do it" he was lying.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says his lips were moving

Michigan Rep. Justin Amash quitting Republican Party

The President's response is predictable.

Trump responded immediately to Amash's announcement that he is quitting the GOP, tweeting Thursday: "Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is 'quitting" the Party." Trump called Amash a "total loser."

Ultimately, I think the problem is that Donald Trump ended up in the wrong office. I think he would have made an ideal Vice President, combining as he does the intellect of Dan Quayle, the understated political acumen of Joe Biden, and the ethical firmness of Dick Cheney.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Ultimately, I think the problem is that Donald Trump ended up in the wrong office. I think he would have made an ideal Vice President, combining as he does the intellect of Dan Quayle, the understated political acumen of Joe Biden, and the ethical firmness of Dick Cheney.

My high school social studies teacher might have offered another suggestion: Ceremonial monarch. He thought Ronald Reagan was pretty bad as president, but thought he would have made a great figurehead king to make vapid speeches about how great the country is, have photo ops with foreign dignitaries, open sessions of Congress and new shopping malls, stuff like that. Do the emotional, ritual stuff while boring professional people do the work of government. He thought it unfortunate that the US combined the roles of Head of State and Head of Government.

King Donald could do the important work of making simple white folk think Someone Who Gets Them is in charge, telling them how great they are for being Americans, while wielding no real power.

Unfortunately, according to reporting the New York Times did some months ago, a significant portion of the Evangelical movement wants Donald Trump as real-and-for-true King of America. It's a Biblical thing, you see. God anointed a king for ancient Israel, not a Congress, Constitution or term-limited president, so monarchy is the only godly form of government. And whatever his personal moral failings, they think Trump is the man to institute Biblical, Christian monarchy.

(I'll try to get the citation for the article, for people who want to read it themselves.)

Dean Shomshak

God did anoint a King for ancient Israel, after they complained about not having one while all their neighbors did. God warned them against it. They wanted one anyway. So God gave them one.

It didn't turn out well.

Anyone familiar with the Bible should already know this.

Just my $0.02.

15 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

My high school social studies teacher might have offered another suggestion: Ceremonial monarch. He thought Ronald Reagan was pretty bad as president, but thought he would have made a great figurehead king to make vapid speeches about how great the country is, have photo ops with foreign dignitaries, open sessions of Congress and new shopping malls, stuff like that. Do the emotional, ritual stuff while boring professional people do the work of government. He thought it unfortunate that the US combined the roles of Head of State and Head of Government.

King Donald could do the important work of making simple white folk think Someone Who Gets Them is in charge, telling them how great they are for being Americans, while wielding no real power.

Unfortunately, according to reporting the New York Times did some months ago, a significant portion of the Evangelical movement wants Donald Trump as real-and-for-true King of America. It's a Biblical thing, you see. God anointed a king for ancient Israel, not a Congress, Constitution or term-limited president, so monarchy is the only godly form of government. And whatever his personal moral failings, they think Trump is the man to institute Biblical, Christian monarchy.

(I'll try to get the citation for the article, for people who want to read it themselves.)

Dean Shomshak

Here you go.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/opinion/trump-evangelicals-cyrus-king.html

16 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

So, my wife and son-in-law and I went to see the Capitol Steps show today. 

Darn it, I knew my local public radio station was airing it at 8 but I got distracted and forgot to tune in. Maybe I can listen to it online next time I get to the library.

Did they do a new version of "76 Unknowns"? It's never been more appropriate.

Dean Shomshak

16 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

So, my wife and son-in-law and I went to see the Capitol Steps show today. 

Darn it, I knew my local public radio station was airing it at 8 but I got distracted and forgot to tune in. Maybe I can listen to it online next time I get to the library.

Did they do a new version of "76 Unknowns"? It's never been more appropriate.

Dean Shomshak

40 minutes ago, Pariah said:

God did anoint a King for ancient Israel, after they complained about not having one while all their neighbors did. God warned them against it. They wanted one anyway. So God gave them one.

It didn't turn out well.

Just my $0.02.

"The gods' most savage curses come to us as answers to our prayers." -- Lois McMaster Bujold, The Curse of Chalion

Someone familiar with the Bible might also recall that Jesus denied having an Earthly kingdom, passed up a chance to have all the kingdoms of the world at a stroke (Matthew 4:8-10), and said, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." (Matthew 12: 12-17). Ironic for advocates of "Christian government" that Jesus seems to be endorsing separation of Church and State.

Dean Shomshak

40 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It didn't turn out well.

Just my $0.02.

"The gods' most savage curses come to us as answers to our prayers." -- Lois McMaster Bujold, The Curse of Chalion

Someone familiar with the Bible might also recall that Jesus denied having an Earthly kingdom, passed up a chance to have all the kingdoms of the world at a stroke (Matthew 4:8-10), and said, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." (Matthew 12: 12-17). Ironic for advocates of "Christian government" that Jesus seems to be endorsing separation of Church and State.

Dean Shomshak