Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Speaking of arrogant sarcastic douches, and trying to slide back onto topic ;) , Donald Trump rather reminds me of Justin Hammer from Iron Man II. Hammer was a Tony Stark wannabe, trying to ape his success, his accomplishments, and his style. While at least as big a jerk as pre-Afghanistan Tony, Hammer lacks Stark's genius, wit and charisma, which let him mostly get away with his attitude.

Donald Trump is also a wannabe. He pretends and proclaims himself to be a financial genius, a savvy politician and diplomat, a strong leader, someone who deserves to rub shoulders with and even lecture the world's elite. But it's all pretense, and not even convincing pretense. Although I do get the impression Trump has been doing it for so long, he's convinced himself that it's true. Probably one big reason he's so ultra-sensitive whenever someone calls him on his crap -- his self-image is fragile, because deep down he knows it's a con.

13 minutes ago, CrosshairCollie said:

So, Trump has said that social media is more influential than the traditional news media.

Am I the only one who interprets that as saying 'manipulating the populace is more effective than using facts?'

I believe Joe Rogan has a larger audience than any televised news show - by a lot.

Factor in the cumulative totals of the countless smaller contributors and traditional news media probably isn't even 1/3rd of the total.

The July 6, 2019 issue of The Economist had a feature article on "The Global Crisi in Conservatism."  By which they mean the conservatism of gradualism tradition and social cohesion, not the deranged nationalism that seems to be pushing it aside. Might interest people as a reminder of what "conservative" once meant.

Still, it also reminds me that while I appreciate cautious and gradual change, recognizing that people are not infinitely flexible; and I appreciate the need for multiple institutional channels instead of focusing exclusively on the State as a medium for getting things done; I cannot ever consider myself "a conservative." Too often even the mildest and most superficially reasonable, Edmund Burke-style conservatism seems to act as an apology or figleaf for established wealth, power, and irrational prejudice. The same arguments used for "Why we must not disrupt the Traditional Family" or "Why we must accept wealth disparities" have so much the same form as "Why we must preserve slavery" or "Why we must burn heretics." It's like a Mad-Lib where you just plug in different words for whatever institution you don't want to change.

Dean Shomshak