Simon

Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

6 minutes ago, Old Man said:

You're wrong there!  The southern half of the US can't be a desert wasteland if it's under water.  😛

The South East (What's not totally ocean) will have the great marshes of mordor ...the South WEST, yeah, Mad Max beyond thunderdome time... and that's the cool parts.

In view of Archer's post about how the party bases believe what the party tells them to believe... Two days ago (shortly after my post in fact) the NY Times radio program The Daily ran this story on how today's anti-immigration movement was invented. An awful lot of it goes back to one woman. A frightening story of what's possible for a few activists with an unlimited bankroll and time.

Short version: Cordelia Scaife May began with environmentalism. This led her to concern about population growth. Immigration causes much of US population growth, and she thought immigrant people of color bred too much. So... And because she was an heiress to the Mellon fortune, she could throw as much money at this goal as she wanted, manufacturing think-tanks, lobbying groups and other "astroturf" to make it look like this was a huge issue. And here we are.

2 days ago - The DailySubscribe: ... Hosted by Michael Barbaro and Natalie Kitroeff; produced by Michael Simon Johnson, Luke Vander Ploeg and Theo ...

Dean Shomshak

That occurred a few hours after he literally looked to the heavens and declared himself 'the chosen one' re: the trade war with China and retweeting a declaration that he's 'the second coming of God' for Jews.

You can't make this s#@t up.

And an AP article a couple days ago says Evangelical leaders are entirely satisfied with Trump's performance and predict Evangelicals will vote for him in even higher percentages in 2020.

Comparing himself to God and Jesus? Pfft. What's a little blasphemy, so long as he appoints anti-abortion, anti-LGBT+ judges?

Dean Shomshak

26 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

And an AP article a couple days ago says Evangelical leaders are entirely satisfied with Trump's performance and predict Evangelicals will vote for him in even higher percentages in 2020.

Comparing himself to God and Jesus? Pfft. What's a little blasphemy, so long as he appoints anti-abortion, anti-LGBT+ judges?

Dean Shomshak

Now, if folks thought he was the Anti-Christ or at least the herald to same... THAT I could see working...

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

Don't forget abducting immigrant toddlers and keeping them in cages.

53 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I wonder what he would do if Denmark claimed PR as a territory. 

Seriously Puerto Ricans should jump at the chance.  It's obvious they'll never be treated fairly, or even decently, by America.

2 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I'll just assume that was a poorly delivered joke that fell flat. 

Otherwise, my head will hurt too much.

I assume it was a truth which he conveyed to the crowd as a joke...which fell flat.

3 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Seriously Puerto Ricans should jump at the chance.  It's obvious they'll never be treated fairly, or even decently, by America.

I don't know about NEVER....

But Denmark certainly seems more likely to treat them better now. :(

17 minutes ago, Old Man said:

If Puerto Rico could decide as a group what they wanted from the US, it would be likely that the US could treat them more fairly.

Some of them strongly want independence. Some of them strongly want statehood. Some of them strongly want to keep the current status but get more economic assistance and assorted non-economic benefits (the specifics of which vary almost from person to person).

I know what I'd do with Puerto Rico if I were given control over the situation. But it's difficult to build any kind of political consensus for major changes in any direction until they coalesce behind some idea of what they'd be satisfied with.

Who's talking about statehood?  The place was eradicated two years ago and barely has electricity and clean water, largely because the administration flatly refuses to send aid to brown people.

And it's not as though statehood is helping citizens get clean water in Michigan either.

1 hour ago, megaplayboy said:

One of the recipients of the MOH threw himself on two hand grenades(the first one was a dud).

"Maybe this one will do the trick."