Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

This. The pundits and beltway insiders are still blowing off Trump because he's beyond ridiculous and deeply offensive. They keep forgetting that enough voters like ridiculous and offensive enough to have gotten him the nomination in the first place. I'd say probably a minority of voters even attempt to understand anything about policy or economics or foreign relations. Trump is angry and he's not one of the people who've been causing problems in DC the past couple of decades, and that's good enough for them.

Compounding this is the fact that the Democrats have fielded the second most unpopular presidential candidate since Mondale. (Never mind that she's also the best qualified candidate since Bush I.) Hillary would have a very serious problem if she was up against any half-civilized GOP nominee. Her lead in the polls mean nothing if the voters don't show up. If there is one thing Trump voters have going for them, it's enthusiasm.

And yet the approval gap between her and Trump is nearly 20 points. He is running a few points ahead of the MRSA virus, though.

And yet the approval gap between her and Trump is nearly 20 points. He is running a few points ahead of the MRSA virus, though.

A recent poll put the gap at only five points. Polls skew a lot depending on what questions are being asked. As the saying goes, "The only poll that counts is on election day."

The classic BBC political satirical series, Yes, Prime Minister, offered a hilarious yet disturbing assessment of political polls:

I'm surprised truthers don't jump all over this and claim it's because there wasn't - that this proves 9/11 was an inside job - that the mayor, who would have been in the know, doesn't even consider it a foreign attack in his own memories.

edit: Annnnd he was talking about during the years after Bush signed the Patriot act before Obama was elected. Media soundbytes are awesome. I still disagree but it's a more sane an assertion.

Trump's entire campaign does seem to be a giant middle finger to the establishment GOP, all the media including Fox News, and, well, America.

Anyway the Bannon appointment seems to be a signal that Trump intends to not pivot, but instead will continue to appeal to the same demographics that won him the primary.  I approve of this strategy.

Teen Trump fan, ejected from Charlotte rally, says he was profiled

“It’s unbelievably ironic,” said Ramesh Anantha, whose parents immigrated from India. He says his son, as a young person of color appearing at a rally where the Republican presidential nominee touted his support for people of color, “should have been looked at as a perfect Trump supporter. He should have been somebody they’re putting up on stage.”

Two things that I don't know is true because I wasn't paying attention.

A judge is allowing some conservative watchdog group to question Clinton over her server, and she is supposed to answer under oath. This was a five second radio news thing I heard while on the job. I was kind of like how and why would a judge compel this when they have already had x amount of hearings over this

The other thing was a paragraph off the NY Times front page that said that Trump owes the people he rails against like the Bank of China and Sachman Gold millions of dollars for his land deals

CES 

The other thing was a paragraph off the NY Times front page that said that Trump owes the people he rails against like the Bank of China and Sachman Gold millions of dollars for his land deals

Probably because they have the unmitigated gall to want him to pay them back.

This sort of fits the narrative. One of the occasional talking points on the really wacky part of the right is that the US needs to renounce the national debt rather than continue to pay it. That it would be a near-apocalyptic blow to the US economy is beside the point.

Probably because they have the unmitigated gall to want him to pay them back.

This sort of fits the narrative. One of the occasional talking points on the really wacky part of the right is that the US needs to renounce the national debt rather than continue to pay it. That it would be a near-apocalyptic blow to the US economy is beside the point.

Renouncing our debts is also completely unconstitutional. However while this same portion of the right likes to talk about the primacy of the Constitution, few of them have the foggiest notion what the document says.

One of the occasional talking points on the really wacky part of the right is that the US needs to renounce the national debt rather than continue to pay it. That it would be a near-apocalyptic blow to the US economy is beside the point.

Not to mention virtually ostracizing ourselves on an international relations level. If the US failed to pay its debts, then the entire world's economy would probably crash on a level that surpasses anything that has come before. I don't think the fallout from that would be worth it. I only wish we could have a term or two where we pay down the national debt instead of finding new and creative ways to make it bigger. Just seems we are heading to a point where that debt will be completely unsustainable and we'll collapse under the weight of it. Of course, I am not an economist so I may be way off base. 

National debt is similar to personal debt in this one aspect: the more income you earn, the more debt you can carry. The key thing to look at is the national debt/GDP ratio and the deficit/GDP ratio. If those get too high, that's problematic. But we could accumulate debt indefinitely, provided it grows more slowly than our GDP. If it consistently grows faster than our national productivity/income, then, yeah, we've got a problem on our hands.

BTW the VP nominee of the Green Party just called President Obama an "Uncle Tom". So I guess the Republican nominee isn't the only one with room for improvement on minority outreach.

Ajamu Baraka is black himself, of course.

That doesn't make it a good idea, but it wasn't a white guy doing it.