Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Trump's apparent softening on immigration earlier this week was not received well by his base.  At all.

The Clinton Foundation continues to dominate the news cycle, though there are indications that it's being "unwound" to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest on the off chance Hillary wins in November.

I haven't heard whether Trump plans to unwind any of his Russian- and German-funded corporate projects.

Trump's apparent softening on immigration earlier this week was not received well by his base. At all.

The Clinton Foundation continues to dominate the news cycle, though there are indications that it's being "unwound" to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest on the off chance Hillary wins in November.

I haven't heard whether Trump plans to unwind any of his Russian- and German-funded corporate projects.

Off chance. You are a funny guy.

My conspiratorial mind sometimes wonders if Trump is deliberately trying to drive voters towards Clinton. I have this feeling that Trump realizes that he grabbed a tiger by the tail and is looking for a way to let go without being bit. It is the only way his behavior makes any sense at all.

Well you could go full on conspiracy theory and claim that the Plan all along was for Trump to throw the race if he gained the nomination. I think that is plausible but Trump's ego would always be a wildcard in such plans.

The third option is that Trump is merely insane.

Clinton At Humans Of New York Instagram Page

“I was taking a law school admissions test in a big classroom at Harvard. My friend and I were some of the only women in the room. I was feeling nervous. I was a senior in college. I wasn’t sure how well I’d do. And while we’re waiting for the exam to start, a group of men began to yell things like: ‘You don’t need to be here.’ And ‘There’s plenty else you can do.’ It turned into a real ‘pile on.’ One of them even said: ‘If you take my spot, I’ll get drafted, and I’ll go to Vietnam, and I'll die.’ And they weren’t kidding around. It was intense. It got very personal. But I couldn’t respond. I couldn’t afford to get distracted because I didn’t want to mess up the test. So I just kept looking down, hoping that the proctor would walk in the room. I know that I can be perceived as aloof or cold or unemotional. But I had to learn as a young woman to control my emotions. And that’s a hard path to walk. Because you need to protect yourself, you need to keep steady, but at the same time you don’t want to seem ‘walled off.’ And sometimes I think I come across more in the ‘walled off’ arena. And if I create that perception, then I take responsibility. I don’t view myself as cold or unemotional. And neither do my friends. And neither does my family. But if that sometimes is the perception I create, then I can’t blame people for thinking that.

Not the presidential race, but political to a degree.

My state, NC, has passed a law called HB2 which had three announced parts when it was signed in. The first part is that transgendered people have to go to the bathroom of their sex on their birth certificate. The second was discrimination cases would have to go to federal court instead of state court (which was repealed), and no city could write an ordinance that might be considered infringing on the state's power. The first part of the law was struck down for public schools by the 4th District. Charlotte Meckleburg went back to allowing trans to go to their appropriate bathroom and told the governor to suck it.

Delivering the Journal today, I noticed that McCrory stated that another part of the law not commented on was a minimum wage freeze for the state, and he blamed the law on the chamber of commerce for helping to write it.

Seriously a wage freeze in the middle of a discrimination law. I am glad my son talked me into voting. I can't wait to vote against this goon.

CES 

Oh yeah, before I forget Jill Stein and her VP are wanted for their parts in the protest of the pipeline in the Dakotas. I think vandalism is the charge, but I am not sure

CES 

And yet virtually destroying every shrine you can find in your path is not vandalism if you're a pipeline company.

Anyone who knows a woman who works in the public sector should be aware that this is her reasoning.  I've seen it at work, I've seen it in my wife and her career (government worker) - if a woman in a position of power or authority allows herself to act in even the most slightly 'unprofessional' way (what they mean is 'emotional') whatever they are saying is frequently dismissed as 'exaggerated' or 'hysterical'.

She's no 'colder' or more 'aloof' than other western female political figures past and present: Thatcher, Queen Elizabeth, or Merkel to name a few.  Many act similar (and are similarly criticised) because to do otherwise just provides their opponents / detractors another avenue of attack.