Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

He's probably just trying to avoid going out Jeffrey Epstein style.

NEW YORK (AP) — A longtime forensic pathologist hired by Jeffrey Epstein's brother says some evidence suggests Epstein died by homicidal strangulation, not suicide by hanging. ... Epstein was found dead in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center with a bedsheet around his neck on Aug. 10

3 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

He's probably just trying to avoid going out Jeffrey Epstein style.

NEW YORK (AP) — A longtime forensic pathologist hired by Jeffrey Epstein's brother says some evidence suggests Epstein died by homicidal strangulation, not suicide by hanging. ... Epstein was found dead in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center with a bedsheet around his neck on Aug. 10

Do you think the government, or the Republican party in specific, is unable to finance the protection of the President?

6 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Do you think the government, or the Republican party in specific, is unable to finance the protection of the President?

I should add that Clinton is not the only person who'd want Epstein out.  Trump and he were very close associates after all... since Trump was a close part of the Clinton circle until he ran for President.  All major parties probably wanted him out of the picture.  I'm very disappointed it happened.

I should add that Clinton is not the only person who'd want Epstein out.  Trump and he were very close associates after all... since Trump was a close part of the Clinton circle until he ran for President.  All major parties probably wanted him out of the picture.  I'm very disappointed it happened.

The sad part is that so many people in power could have contributed to that outcome.

The details of which are mind-numbingly improbable.

Taken off suicide watch after a week.  Both guards fall asleep for hours.  The cameras go out.  Epstein has three fractures in his neck that are all but impossible in a suicide.

It reads like a trashy political TV procedural where you'd be screaming at the screen that nothing that ludicrous could happen in real life at a facility that hadn't had a successful suicide in 40 years.

1 minute ago, ScottishFox said:

The sad part is that so many people in power could have contributed to that outcome.

My main point/thought though is I doubt Trump has that fear, unless the Secret Service itself is moving against him.  And the Republican party and its donors could easily help finance his protection.  Even with the Republican party failing as a political party, even as it disenfranchises its members' own children, it still has plenty of power to (physically) protect Trump... if it chose to do so.  

I'm sure they could (and totally would) blame the Epstein incident as reasons to give him 'house arrest' at best, and we both know Trump isn't going to jail while in office.  (All while pretending Trump and their own members weren't involved at all).  Physically restraining a President while he is President would be a huge violation of National Security.

So I doubt he's fleeing to Florida to stay alive.

15 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Depends on whether Trump would still have political value as a convicted felon. He undoubtedly knows potentially very embarrassing things about a lot of powerful people. For that reason some of those people might offer him security in exchange for silence; or decide it's safer to just eliminate him.  I realize that sounds cynical and maybe paranoid, but so many accepted norms have already fallen over the last few years. (Plus see Scottish Fox's post above.)

Just now, Lord Liaden said:

Depends on whether Trump would still have political value as a convicted felon. He undoubtedly knows potentially very embarrassing things about a lot of powerful people. For that reason some of those people might offer him security in exchange for silence; or decide it's safer to just eliminate him.  I realize that sounds cynical and maybe paranoid, but so many accepted norms have already fallen over the last few years. (Plus see Scottish Fox's post above.)

That could be said of any number of senators though.  The whole reason to involve congressmen and others in boards that perform questionable governmental actions is to force the government to defend said decisions.

Maybe I'm just seeing it from the perspective that there's no way he could be physically restrained while he is President.  I may honestly be wrong on this.

My main point/thought though is I doubt Trump has that fear, unless the Secret Service itself is moving against him.  And the Republican party and its donors could easily help finance his protection.  Even with the Republican party failing as a political party, even as it disenfranchises its members' own children, it still has plenty of power to (physically) protect Trump... if it chose to do so.  

I'm sure they could (and totally would) blame the Epstein incident as reasons to give him 'house arrest' at best, and we both know Trump isn't going to jail while in office.  (All while pretending Trump and their own members weren't involved at all).  Physically restraining a President while he is President would be a huge violation of National Security.

So I doubt he's fleeing to Florida to stay alive.

Except that Trump already displays paranoid tendencies. He doesn't trust his own government's security, intelligence, or law enforcement agencies, and may have already regressed to believe in his own "deep state/witch hunt" line. I don't think he would need that much of a push to full-blown, "they're all out to get me!"

3 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Except that Trump already displays paranoid tendencies. He doesn't trust his own government's security, intelligence, or law enforcement agencies, and may have already regressed to believe in his own "deep state/witch hunt" line. I don't think he would need that much of a push to full-blown, "they're all out to get me!"

Ugh.  True, he may think that.

I highly dislike FUD, but I know it gets people to move when they need to.  But I very much push against people suggesting anything should/would happen to a President for the very reason of pushing against FUD.  None of my thoughts account for what he may be thinking, or his party as a whole turning against him.

I for one can't imagine Trump's party or his people turning against him if he's legally removed from office.*  After all, he's shown such intense, unswerving, total support for everybody who has worked for him in the past.  It seems only right that they should show him the same loyalty.

* though I highly doubt a Senate trial would result in a successful vote to remove Trump from office.

11 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I for one can't imagine Trump's party or his people turning against him if he's legally removed from office.*  After all, he's shown such intense, unswerving, total support for everybody who has worked for him in the past.  It seems only right that they should show him the same loyalty.

* though I highly doubt a Senate trial would result in a successful vote to remove Trump from office.

The big reason for my concern (about violence in general) is there is literally radio shows in the US, popular ones in the right areas, that say the democrats are literal demons.  That God is literally going to save them, and that anyone else is working for the devil, literally.  And they have been saying this for decades.

I'm not joking or exaggerating when I repeat this point.  It's a small minority that buy into this, but it's a concentrated minority that can cause great harm.  Multiple countries have been taken over by a smaller uprising. 

But to dispel some of the FUD... I do think that modern day accessibility has de-fanged some of this propaganda effort.  Some.  And there's a lot of vested (ie- rich folk) interest in avoiding this, unlike in our previous historical events.

20 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Now I'm just sickened. Every time Donald Trump steps over a legal or ethical bar, the GOP tries to move the bar even lower.  Right now it's heading for the planetary core, and they may not stop until they reach sub-space. :sick:

They're starting to realize it's no longer tenable to deny the problem, so now they're preparing to shift to attacking the remedy. That's the standard damage control move, unfortunately.

On the call to Ukraine, the defense line was, "there was no quid pro quo." The evidence against that is now overwhelming, so now they're contemplating using, "there was quid pro quo, but there's nothing wrong with that." It's clear the Republican Party has joined Trump in no longer even pretending they stand for anything except what's to their benefit.

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

It's clear the Republican Party has joined Trump in no longer even pretending they stand for anything except what's to their benefit.

I feel like both parties are in this mode and have been for some time.  Left and right are distractions.  It's up and down where we need to be looking.

In my brain the image is two people being goaded into fighting each other while the 3rd person picks their pockets.

At this point I can't agree. Both major parties are deeply flawed, yes; but the issue isn't about left or right any more. The Republican Party leadership has chosen to protect and enable a President who's incompetent, uncontrollable, and dangerous to everyone. They know he's all those things, but he's a demagogue who's popular with Republican voters, so supporting him serves their short-term interests. They sold out all they purport to believe for personal gain. Nothing the Democrats are doing or have done in living memory comes close to that.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:49 PM, ScottishFox said:

The details of which are mind-numbingly improbable.

Taken off suicide watch after a week.  Both guards fall asleep for hours.  The cameras go out.  Epstein has three fractures in his neck that are all but impossible in a suicide.

It reads like a trashy political TV procedural where you'd be screaming at the screen that nothing that ludicrous could happen in real life at a facility that hadn't had a successful suicide in 40 years.

The memes on Epstein are pretty excellent though. eps.jpg.19dc51f375ff9a701728caa69c54e3e9.jpgtumblr_f2b65658236318763001f3a6199d5da9_2c221250_540.thumb.jpg.34d17fa3026042b651c8651bf1087dcc.jpg3f1m4b.jpg.2a01f8ea3a11bc03c78304593e8dd554.jpg

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

At this point I can't agree. Both major parties are deeply flawed, yes; but the issue isn't about left or right any more. The Republican Party leadership has chosen to protect and enable a President who's incompetent, uncontrollable, and dangerous to everyone. They know he's all those things, but he's a demagogue who's popular with Republican voters, so supporting him serves their short-term interests. They sold out all they purport to believe for personal gain. Nothing the Democrats are doing or have done in living memory comes close to that.

Indeed. Republicans used to claim they supported Free Trade. Now they back a president who starts protectionist trade wars.

They used to claim they were the party of vigorious national defense, especially confronting Communism. Trump says he's best buds with Kim Jong-Un and neo-Soviet Vladimir Putin. And forget about spreading freedom, Trump cozies up to all sorts of despots.

Traditional family values? They've embraced a serial womanizer and sexual predator. (Maybe if the family is the Mafia.)

In a way, I would thank Trump for showing what the Republican Party *really* stands for, behind the dog whistles and obfuscation: Hierarchy. One group of people very definitely ruling, and everyone else very definitely being ruled. White privilege over people of color, corporate power over labor and consumers, helping the rich get richer while the poor get crumbs, assuring Evangelicals of cultural dominance in the face of LGBT+ advances.

Dean Shomshak