Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

On 12/9/2019 at 2:50 PM, Lord Liaden said:

This is a really interesting analysis of the dynamics of the current American political situation, from a perspective I've never heard before. I wanted to put it up here to hear people's views on how it compares to their perceptions and experience.

What Beau is missing is that any GOP senator who votes to impeach will instantly lose his corporate funding and his Fox News support and will be primaried from the right.  Trump may be unable to help with voter turnout but the megadonors supporting him sure can.

Also, the GOP is now the party of Trump.  Since 2016 literally 40% of GOP congressmen have retired or do not intend to run for reelection in 2020.  Those were the "moderates".  The ones who are left are burn-it-all-down Tea Partiers who are fully on board for Trump's destruction and selloff of the federal government. 

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Also, the GOP is now the party of Trump.  Since 2016 literally 40% of GOP congressmen have retired or do not intend to run for reelection in 2020.  Those were the "moderates".  The ones who are left are burn-it-all-down Tea Partiers who are fully on board for Trump's destruction and selloff of the federal government. 

Pretty much what Kavanaugh has been proposing, right?

Which sounds great, but makes me ask 'and replaced by what exactly?'

The conservative project has always been about putting the country in the hands of the people who own it. Sometimes I think the only real question remaining is whether we will end up a kleptocratic failed state or a nation ruled by a self-perpetuating oligarchy of the wealthiest families.

But that's when I'm feeling pessimistic. There's still the chance (however small) that things will change in this next election.

I plan to stock up on whiskey before next November.

11 minutes ago, GM Joe said:

The conservative project has always been about putting the country in the hands of the people who own it. Sometimes I think the only real question remaining is whether we will end up a kleptocratic failed state or a nation ruled by a self-perpetuating oligarchy of the wealthiest families.

But that's when I'm feeling pessimistic. There's still the chance (however small) that things will change in this next election.

I plan to stock up on whiskey before next November.

I've pretty much adopted the same strategy. And I'm thinking oligarchy of wealthiest families, given the income disparity data.

Well, Biden is using this is an example of when a Party goes too far to the left, which is interesting, because (and this is third hand) the complaint I heard about Corbyn was that he was acting far too neutral on the biggest issue facing the country and that did not sit well with some? 

6 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Official: The UK is doomed.

Boris can do anything he likes as he has a majority. So they can ignore calls for Scottish Independence.for example.

Never hold a vote on Friday the 13th. Noted

:(

Any idea how it's going to go down for Northern Ireland?

NI has elected more nationalist politicians than unionist ones for the first time ever.

The DUP has lost all its leverage over the Government and they are going to have to beg Johnson to support their position in their Assembly (if it ever gets re-established).

I think both Scotland and Northern Ireland have a right good chance of having independence votes in the next Parliament, especially if Brexit is going badly.