Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Republican propaganda, pure and simple. They know that their base will take anything they say as Gospel, regardless of whether it's actually true or not.  The base doesn't even care whether it's true. They know this because they've been doing it successfully for years. (See 'Wizard's First Rule'.)

The degree to which indisputable fact is being disputed purely on the basis of tribal loyalty, is to me the most frightening legacy of this whole debacle. When the Truth becomes subjective, faith in the impartiality of government, of law, of information itself -- the foundations of civil society -- are mortally wounded. Both the benefits and the genuine flaws in institutions are thrown out together in a big partisan trash bin. You can see where that leads, in the chronic instability of much of the rest of the world. :(

It's getting harder and harder to tell real news articles from The Onion:

Trump calls Christianity Today 'far left magazine' after editorial called for his removal from office

In a way, though, this is the Trump Reign Presidency in a nutshell: Bullying, name-calling, and a complete disregard for easily verifiable facts.

And it keeps working.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

It's getting harder and harder to tell real news articles from The Onion:

Trump calls Christianity Today 'far left magazine' after editorial called for his removal from office

In a way, though, this is the Trump Reign Presidency in a nutshell: Bullying, name-calling, and a complete disregard for easily verifiable facts.

And it keeps working.

Well, we do worship that jewish hippie rabbi who said to pay your taxes and a few coins from a poor person was more than many coins from a loaded rich guy. Shoot, guy went out healing the sick for FREE.....  and encouraged his followers to tend to the ill and poor and prisoners and stuff...  we are talking non secular commie talk here! 

Won't somebody please think of the wealthy? It's so HARD to  shove that camel through that needle

In impeachment news, the Speaker of the House has a) refused to send the Articles of Impeachment over to the Senate after McConnell openly bragged that he was coordinating the proceedings with the White House; and b) invited the ImPOTUS to the House floor on February 4 to deliver a State of the Union address. 

Pelosi is not what I would call likable, but she’s good at the game. 

2 minutes ago, Old Man said:

In impeachment news, the Speaker of the House has a) refused to send the Articles of Impeachment over to the Senate after McConnell openly bragged that he was coordinating the proceedings with the White House; and b) invited the ImPOTUS to the House floor on February 4 to deliver a State of the Union address. 

Pelosi is not what I would call likable, but she’s good at the game. 

Definitely. That look she gave to get the party in line maybe getting some bad press, but damn. I would not be the one to mess with her. 

191218210331-nancy-pelosi-look-impeachment-vote-vpx-00000000-large-169.jpg.0e87a659f07520fb9692f4b8b7212675.jpg

From what I've been reading about the recent US government budget negotiations for 2020 between Nancy Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Pelosi got nearly all the concessions the Democrats were asking for. Trump may arguably be winning the PR campaign, but Pelosi has been winning on substantive issues.

We'll have to see whether that can translate to the ballot box.

9 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

From what I've been reading about the recent US government budget negotiations for 2020 between Nancy Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Pelosi got nearly all the concessions the Democrats were asking for. Trump may arguably be winning the PR campaign, but Pelosi has been winning on substantive issues.

Well, for her personally she will be in office until she decides not to be. No chance she gets unseated in her home congressional district. 

Nationally yes, I don't think she's particularly popular in many areas and is absolutely reviled in others. I do find her an incredible shrewd and effective representative for her constituents. 

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, about that, it appears the impeachment arc, will probably only succeed in sealing Trump's reelection.

Edit: I know I just ruined Christmas, but I am being a realist, and looking at the results.

Perhaps.  I do think the worst thing they can do is sit on it, as has been suggested, the last day or 2.  Regardless, of how genuine the motivation,  it looks like a obvious political stunt if it never goes to the Senate.  For me, it feels like it will be a hollow statement without substance, if not seen through.  

16 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, we do worship that jewish hippie rabbi who said to pay your taxes and a few coins from a poor person was more than many coins from a loaded rich guy. Shoot, guy went out healing the sick for FREE.....  and encouraged his followers to tend to the ill and poor and prisoners and stuff...  we are talking non secular commie talk here! 

Won't somebody please think of the wealthy? It's so HARD to  shove that camel through that needle

I wouldn't say we worship Bernie Sanders

22 hours ago, Hermit said:

Not to mention he passed up a chance to gain all the kingdoms of the world. Wimp! Loser! Stupidest Messiah ever! Why send disciples out to preach salvation -- a chancy strategy -- when you could be master of the world and ram it down people's throats? Isn't that worth kissing up to Satan a bit? And you can always go back on a deal later, when it suits you. No head for business at all!

Dean Shomshak